D700 - Wide angle lens

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking at getting a wide angle lens to work alongside my Nikon 24-70 F2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and Nikon 85mm F1.4. Is there anyone with a D700 that can recommend a good wide angle lens.

My main line of photography is weddings. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Need filters = Nikon 16-35 f4
Don't need filters = Nikon 14-24 f2.8, superb lens and better light capability.

What they said, but if you can't afford those, the cosina 19-35mm is worth a look. I can tell very little difference quality wise between images from the nikon 16-35 I owned and the cosina I currently own.

Slightly hijack of thread, but I have been thinking of a wide angle, as currently 24-70 is the widest I have.

I dont need wide that often, but have done at times, so cannot justify the 14-24. However, what wide angle options are there, ideally up to £350 or so 2nd hand? Did like the 10-20 Sigma on my D300

I've got a Tamron 17-35mm 2.8-4 which a barely use, but when I do it seems plenty sharp enough. About £200ish used.

I dont need wide that often, but have done at times, so cannot justify the 14-24. However, what wide angle options are there, ideally up to £350 or so 2nd hand? Did like the 10-20 Sigma on my D300

18-35 AF-D, costs around £200, it's my most used lens on my D700 and it's a bargain.

It's not fast, and it doesn't have VR but it's a really good lens.

I have the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 and find it really too wide for anything other than building interiors. If I was photographing people I would go for the Nikon 16 -35 f/4 you could also have a look at the Tokina 17-35 f/4 which retails for £600 new.

18-35 AF-D, costs around £200, it's my most used lens on my D700 and it's a bargain.

It's not fast, and it doesn't have VR but it's a really good lens.

Not a bad shout - is most likely to be used for the odd landscape, or when I simply need to go wider!!

This has been really useful... Thank you!, Im not looking to spend £1k or more on this lens as I dont feel I will use it all the time but Im looking to enhance my kit

Like my Nikon 20mm F/2.8 with my D700.And lightish too.

Stopped to F/4, nice and sharp to the edge. But expect to pay in excess of £300

Canon fit, gramps. (probably why it's so cheap :D )

No it's definitely Nikon, he states in the listing that he mistakenly put up a Canon profile and he confirms it's Nikon :)

How wide do you want/need to go?

The Cosina 19-35 isn't bad but it does distort a lot especially at the wide end. The Sigma 12-24 is a lot wider (almost insanely wide on FF - probably why I love it so much!) but can't take front mounted filters (without bodging), although there's a slot behind the rear element for gels (and a template is supplied [or should be if 2nd hand...] to cut them to size). Incredibly well corrected for rectilinear distortions but the exaggerated perspective is a fact of life and has to either be lived with or corrected in PP. The Nikkor 14-24 would be the pick of the bunch but again, filter "problem" and it's a grand more than the Sigma!

Like my Nikon 20mm F/2.8 with my D700.And lightish too.

Stopped to F/4, nice and sharp to the edge. But expect to pay in excess of £300

I have this combo too. It's fantastic but is 20mm much of a difference versus 24mm?

It is for me, but for the OP?

Back