D700?

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks

I am looking to make the leap to full frame at last but due to price rises cannot afford a D750 at present. What are peoples current opinions on a D700? I know it is old tech relatively speaking but I have a chance of one for £300.
Most of my lenses are FX as I built up my collection with the intention of going FX eventually and bought good glass first.

Its just the 12mp and lowish high iso levels that concern me with recent advances since this was built

The D700 is still an exceptional camera even today! At £300 it's definitely a no brainer!

Don't worry about the 12mp unless you plan to shoot photos for massive advertising signs or billboards.

The ISO performance is pretty good as well if you ask me..

What do you want to gain from full frame? depending on your aims a D700 may or may not suite.

Its got 79K on the clock so about 50% of expected shutter.
I want shallower depth of field and also find my 24-70 not wide enough at times on my D7200

Its got 79K on the clock so about 50% of expected shutter.
I want shallower depth of field and also find my 24-70 not wide enough at times on my D7200

In which case yes, it will do what you want but in terms of file malleability for PP your D7200 will probably have the edge and of course have many more MP.

Also be aware that the colours on the older Nikons are different from the newer ones, I actually prefer the look of the older ones (especially the D700) but others prefer the newer look. Either way it won't be what you're used to.

I've got a d700 and a d610 I use for weddings! The d700 is sharper and better dynamic range and colours are fantastic! Mines got 136k and I paid £400 so it's a steal

Great camera, I've had mine nearly 8 years and I still love it. My D810 hasn't replaced it, I use them both.
Got a nice A2 print from the D700 above my desk, so unless you're printing really big or into heavy cropping then the 12mp is fine. Likewise the ISO - I use 6400 regularly without concern and while I do use the higher ISO's occasionally they are usable if you're printing smaller prints.
£300 is an absolute steal steal, snatch their hand off.

Aargh - can't get hold of the guy! Have messaged his wife though who says it's still available and he should be able to contact me tomorrow. Sounds like it's mainly had studio use too.
So want this now:)

I have d7100 and d700 I love the images from the d700 so the 7100 will be for sale soon
Just got a d700 with mbd10 grip 3 Nikon batteries and a 32gb card for £250 but with 190k on it but sensor was replaced a fees months back will give a go out tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have d7100 and d700 I love the images from the d700 so the 7100 will be for sale soon
Just got a d700 with mbd10 grip 3 Nikon batteries and a 32gb card for £250 but with 190k on it but sensor was replaced a fees months back will give a go out tomorrow.
Hope you get some better service from this one mate..

Hope you get some better service from this one mate..
This 1seems fine it holds its memory of what program iit was left in eBay just found in my favour for the refund on the faulty one so that's going back today.

Had a d300 and then went to d700 - great camera. Now its just my backup body as too good to sell for £300, and for that money its a steal. Image quality is great and its pretty clean still at 1600 ISO. Yes, my new D750 is better in many regards but D700 is still a great camera.

The high ISO is not that bad on the D700. Yes it need some cleaning up in post but I think it is still better then most DX camera.

It was a great camera when it came out, and it still is now. I'm sure, for £300, it'll be an amazing buy!

All fell through so still on the look out for one :(
Maybe save some more and get something after Christmas.
I will go FX one day!

D700 should be very easy to find one these days. People seems to sell them for something newer. I still shoot with D3 and D700, it still does the job for me so I don't see myself needing to upgrade. Lens is more important .....

It was a great camera when it came out, and it still is now. I'm sure, for £300, it'll be an amazing buy!

+1 for £300 it would be a great buy! Truly great classic Camera

Picked up one from a friend in the office the other day and now being a Canon user it felt slightly good remembering as I use to have 2 of them a few years back, made me want one back! Photographic GAS at its best :)

Back