D7000 Auto ISO

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone cracked this D7000 auto ISO issue.

Despite having a SB600 the ISO defaults to 3200 / 6400 giving very noisy pictures.

The ISO sensitivity has a min ISO and shutter speed, but these seemed to get ignored when using the speedlight.

Given that I know my flash will give me ample lighting why can I not have a relatively low ISO 100 - 400 at a shutter speed of 50 - 100 and aperture of around 5.6.
This would surely give me light / sharp pictures, that I can make slight exposure adjustment to if necessary.

Instead, whatever settings I try seem to give me dark, blurry or noisy pictures. Why have Nikon made this so ridiculously complicated. My D90 would just keep the ISO low until the flash power was exhausted.

I thought I'd sussed it by turning off the auto but unless I ramp up the ISO I get very slow shutter speeds.

I am seriously considering dumping my D7000 and going back to my D90.

I have a school prom to photograph tomorrow night and I'm starting to panic.

Any suggestions?

Why can't you shoot in full manual on the camera and use the flashes auto exposure?

When I'm using my flash I almost exclusively use full manual, and I don't think I've used Auto ISO ever with my flash. I know I am not a nikon shooter but if I'm using a flash I almost exclusively lock ISO down to 200 or below for ISO

Matt
MWHCVT

just taken a shot on my D7k

AP mode
F5.6
shutter was at 1/60
iso 400 (auto iso turned on with max 6400 min shutter 1s

flash on ttl perfect shot so no idea what settings are are using but something not right, like i said a phot with full exif is really needed to help

Was just trying it myself with my D7K and SB900 and can't say I have that 'problem'. Perhaps you should do a reset of all the settings?

When I'm using my flash I almost exclusively use full manual, and I don't think I've used Auto ISO ever with my flash. I know I am not a nikon shooter but if I'm using a flash I almost exclusively lock ISO down to 200 or below for ISO

Matt
MWHCVT

Going to shoot prom tonight in full manual mode, will let you know how I get on.

Bit nervous, since so use to shotting AP.

Thanks for help.

Just another thought, you haven't accidently dialed in an exposure compensation have you? I just had a situation with some test shots where I didn't get it, in A the photos were way to dark, whilst in Auto they were absolutely fine. Even with flash it didn't work. It took my daft brain a while to realise I had -3.0 eV dialled in for what ever reason. All was fine there after, panic over.

Try a few test shots at the beginning of the night. Spare batteries for the flash... Laptop or something to store the large quantities of photos :)

Good luck - it will go fine!

Thanks - Whilst there is light, I will go manual or even stick to AP.
Once it is dark and the disco is in full swing, I may cheat and go to the 'Party' scene mode. Any reason why that won't work?

Just another thought, you haven't accidently dialed in an exposure compensation have you? I just had a situation with some test shots where I didn't get it, in A the photos were way to dark, whilst in Auto they were absolutely fine. Even with flash it didn't work. It took my daft brain a while to realise I had -3.0 eV dialled in for what ever reason. All was fine there after, panic over.

Not that I can see.

Camera isn't left in auto-bracketing mode, is it?

So how did it go?

I think I just about got away with it. http://www.coventrypeople.com/portfolio194404.html

Altough I found myself constantly swapping between A and M modes.
I also use the 'party' scene mode when it started to get really dark, which also helped with the autfocus.

I'm still a bit perplexed as to why Nikon would set up their auto ISO this way. Who would want their camera to automatically default to 6400 iso for every picture taken with their speedlight. I ended up setting my max aperture to 400, which seems to have done the trick, but surely it just takes away the reason why you have an auto ISO in the first place.

My D90 was so much more simplistic - setting the ISO at the lowest possible - not the highest.
Am I the only one that thinks Nikon have got this totally wrong?

My D7000 was like this out of the box. I havent managed to get it to lower the ISO either.

What setting do you have your speedlight on? camera and flash

also does the onboard flash expose properly with desired iso?

I have just tried mine again with auto iso on max 6400, manual, f5.6 shutter 1/250
Exposure compensation 0 FC 0 and i can't get my iso above 400 and the room im in is low light...

Whats your flash compensation? (is that what it's called can't remember) just incase you don't know, when you push the button on the side to pop up the onboard flash.... when you have your speedlight attached and turned on it should disable the pop up flash but you can still adjust the compensation. If it is set to -3 it will need more light

I would consider if you haven't already resetting your camera and seeing if that makes any difference, if not then i could save my U1 setting for Flash and send it to you so you can try that on your camera

Back