D7000 + Lens

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone,

I *think* I've finally decided to upgrade from my now pretty damn old Sony Alpha 300 and I was going to save for a D700, but upon reflection I don't think I really need one as I'm not a pro and the reviews for the D7000 seem very very good.

So with the body decided upon I've got to decide on some lenses, and being new to the Nikon camp I don't know what's good or not. I was looking at the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom, but it's pretty pricey. Are there any alternatives I should look at?

Aim is to be able to do landscapes, portraits and general walk about lens which the above seems to cover. I think I'd probably also get the obligatory shifty fifty too :)

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

The 16-85 VRII Nikkor is a lovely lens and goes well with the D7k but isn't as quick as the 17-55. You can pick up a 16-8 for around £320 on here second hand.

I always think 55mm isn't long enough for a walk about lens, or for some portrait work. I'd get the 16-85, 35mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.8, and you'll have a great walk about lens with some lovely fast primes for portrait stuff.

The 17-55 is a very nice piece of glass if you can afford one, v good 2nd hand examples can be picked up from various reputable 2nd had dealers at around £650. And under £600 if you go the ebay route.

You can consider the tamron/sigma options 17-50, 18-50 at around £200 used. I had the sigma, very good performer. Or you can opt for the newer sigma 17-50mm (reportedly even sharper then the nikon/canon counterparts at the centre of the frame.) that set you back around £450.

My advice, if you can afford the nikon, go for it you wont regret it, but if your on a budget the tamron and sigma are worthy alternatives.

Depending on you shooting style the 24-70 may be better for you than the 17-55...both are obviously F2.8. Or for more flexibilty there is the newer 24-120 F4 which is slightly cheaper.

I have the 24-70 which I love on my D7000 but I don't shoot many landscapes etc

Thanks very much for the advice guys, much appreciated. The 24-70mm looks like a great lens, and that range is about perfect, but it's just a little out of my price range at the moment. The 24-120 looks brilliant too, but those extra stops to F4 would make quite a bit of difference in low light wouldn't they?

Could you recommend any reputable 2nd hand Nikon dealers? I'd like to see what the price difference is.

Thanks so much for the help!

If you get the fast primes recommended then you can use those for low-light stuff and the zoom as your walkabout.

I already have a 35 1.8 and got an 85 1.8 last night:love:. I use an 18-200 as a walkabout, which suits me but isn't everyone's cup of tea. If the 24-120 looks good then go for it and get the primes too.

Thanks Wookee, I have an 18-200 on my Alpha at the moment and love the versatility, which one do you have for the D7000? I couldn't see a Nikon 18-200 anywhere?

There's a Nikon 18-200vr. It gets mixed reviews - some love it (Ken Rockwell for example), some think it's doggy doo-doo (one guy on this forum described it as a dog).

I don't know if this reflects good/bad copies or if some people just have too high/low expectations.

Personally, I love mine. The zoom creep is a bit annoying, but IQ wise I can't tell the difference between this and my 18-105. It means I can leave the rather heavy 70-300 at home and just take the 18-200 and 35 with me.

Buy it second hand - think it's £600 new but you can get used for £300-£350.

Back