D7000

Sotographi

Name
Sophie
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to buy a Nikon, I was wondering if the D7000 is a good camera?
I like the look of the features, done a bit of research, but if anyone owns this camera, is it suitable to your standards?
It is the nicest looking camera I have spotted so far that would be suitable for me.
I want the screen at the top and i want a camera that records full HD and also has the power to perform the most stunning and beautiful images.
Is this the right camera for me?
It must not cost more than £700 as that is my limit I am willing to pay, I currently own a Samsung GX10 DSLR and I am getting annoyed with its limitations! :(
Please help me!
Thankyou! :)

and also has the power to perform the most stunning and beautiful images.
I

I think you'll find it's the skill of the photographer that dos that.

D7000 is an excellent camera, but as said just because you buy a ferrari dosnt turn you into Sebastian Vettel.

I think you'll find it's the skill of the photographer that dos that.

+1.

The D7000 is more than capable of technically producing excellent images. The ability to utilise it to its best depends soley on your ability and experience.

I'm sure you could spend less on a camera and produce images you're more than happy with, just as you could spend much much more. Have you looked at anything else ? Is there anything else out there apart from a dslr which meets your criteria or must it be a dslr? Finally is this a first for you and the beginning of a learning curve or something you're progressing towards from other forms of photograpy..

I know the above is a lot but it isn't always an easy answer..

+1.
Have you looked at anything else ? Is there anything else out there apart from a dslr which meets your criteria or must it be a dslr?
I have been looking at many other camera's for months trying to find the right one, and having owned a few bridges and compacts in the past i do prefer DSLR
It is my top type of camera ^_^ I prefer interchangeable lenses etc etc. and a dslr allows that :)

If you do alot of video then I think Canon is the better choice.

My D7000 out performs my skill level and has more features than you can shake a stick at. You can pick them up now for under £400 second hand which would leave you £300 for a lens or two.

Its been said but the D7000 will be a steep learning curve,if your ok with that then go for it you will be a long time before you out grow it.

I can give my thoughts here. I've been 'into' photography for roughly 10 years, I came from 2mp Vivitar, to a 3.2mp Kodak, to an 8mp Casio (which was worse than the Kodak!?), I then stepped up to an Olympus Micro 4/3 (E400), this travelled around Europe, across the States, and to various other locations over 4 year period before miraculously 'becoming' broke when I left it at my brothers apartment overnight, despite him allegedly not touching it...

Needing another camera to scratch my itch, I spent months researching cameras, knowing I wanted a DSLR and knowing my budget, I was narrowed down to roughly: Canon 650/700/60D, Nikon D5200/D7000, and the Pentax K5. The Pentax seemed like a very good camera, and had I been more 'brave' Id have probably opted for that, but I preferred the larger community with Nikon, and at the time I felt you got more for your money with Nikon systems at the time. Summarised here:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Nikon_D7000

Over all of the comparisons that I did, it seemed to be that the 'reasons' to buy the Canons (at this price point at least) were trivial, or not directly related to how the camera would actually take a photo, (read flip out screen, longer battery life, higher res preview on screen etc etc). By all accounts the Nikon D7000 is still a great camera, if not a little dated. Yes, I actually wanted the newer D7100, but couldn't justify the almost double price increase, plus the D7000 is still way more capable than I am!! I now need to start investing more time and in extra kit. Ive got a 35mm f/1.8 on the way as pretty much everyone has said what a great partner it is to the D7000, and Ive also got an SB-700 so I can start experimenting with flash photography.

Its hard to know whether YOU wil be happy with a D7000 as only you could make that decision. It might be helpful to list what your limitations are with the Samsung, so we can provide some insight as to whether the D7000 will overcome them.

But in short, yes the D7000 is a 'good' camera. Will it take 'the most stunning and beautiful images'? Well, no, you will, not the camera. But its certainly a good tool to help you achieve this.

What I will say is, its a relatively bulky unit, and Ive seen very good results from the cheaper, smaller, but almost as capable D5200, (and there ia now the D5300 which Ive not really read much about). You'll lose the top screen, weather sealing and twin SD slots , but as a body they are still very capable.

Feel free to check out my flickr, all were taken using my D7000.

I hope this helps

Dan

Last edited:
I use two D7000 cameras professionally and they are perfectly good enough - here's a link to my Facebook page to show some of the range of things I've shot with them - https://www.facebook.com/dg.photography2009

Whether my photos are "perform the most stunning and beautiful images." is debatable though :D

Dave

You can pick them up now for under £400 second hand which would leave you £300 for a lens or two.
Though that's in danger of being the wrong way round. I think *most* people would get better photos if they spent less money on the body (eg a 5000-series or 3000-series, which would have essentially the same sensor but fewer controllability features) and more money on the lenses.

With a £700 budget for a DSLR, I think *most* people would be better off thinking (say) £200-£250 body plus £450-£500 lenses rather than £400/300.

I am looking to buy a Nikon, I was wondering if the D7000 is a good camera?
I like the look of the features, done a bit of research, but if anyone owns this camera, is it suitable to your standards?
It is the nicest looking camera I have spotted so far that would be suitable for me.
I want the screen at the top and i want a camera that records full HD and also has the power to perform the most stunning and beautiful images.
Is this the right camera for me?
It must not cost more than £700 as that is my limit I am willing to pay, I currently own a Samsung GX10 DSLR and I am getting annoyed with its limitations! :(
Please help me!
Thankyou! :)

Right... let's do this properly instead of just recommending what we like shall we?

No one's bothered to ask what type of stuff you shoot... whether you print the images or not.... and no one has thought about your £700 budget not including lenses. Which is all important.

Is the D7000 a good camera? Sure. Pretty much any recent SLR will be a good camera though. Is it the RIGHT camera? No idea...

What kind of stuff do you shoot, and what do you do with the images once you've shot them?

How do you shoot? Are you interested in full creative control using manual control?

Are you at all interested in using flash at some point (not the in-built flash)?

Answering these will help me recommend the RIGHT camera for you. As it is, you've chosen the D7000 because it looks nice. That's not necessarily the best way to choose.

Ask yourself the questions posted above.

As already mentioned the D7000 is a steep learning curve.

I had one for a little while following a D90 and personally it wasn't for me.
There was so many features that in a way it killed me off wanting to use it, I wouldn't use most of them. That's obviously just me however. A lot on here have them and love them.

They are a great camera don't get me wrong but as a starting out camera I would maybe consider a D5200 which is aimed more at a beginner and will allow you to learn the basics. It has the same sensor as the D7100 I believe.

Good luck with whatever you go with :)

IMHO - I have a D7100, D300 and D700

D300S every time - the UI on the D7100 is poor c/f with these, the construction is not as good and it is physically smaller

buy an aftermarket grip and the camera is wonderful to hold and shoot with

on your budget D300S + good glass

Last edited:
I went from a Fuji 9600 Bridge to a 2nd hand D7000 15months ago and the 7000 is a huge jump and, as said earlier, " a steep learning curve"; Having said that, it and the knowledge and understanding I have obtained over that period has provided me with the kind of images I never achieved with the bridge.
I have since, picked up a 2nd hand D300 as a back-up and if I had bought that first, I'm sure I'd have been equally satisfied with that.

I would maybe consider a D5200 which is aimed more at a beginner

I disagree. One command dial. Manual control is limited to pressing buttons while turning the dial... it's not intuitive, and is actually a barrier to getting to grips with manual control. I'd never recommend a 3xxx or 5xxx to a beginner actually.

D70, D80, D90, D7000 All great cameras for beginners for this reason. Two command dials, and no real barriers to manual control. I've found that most learners can't be arsed with, and get frustrated by having to press and hold buttons while turning dials to set values. The D70, 80, 90, 7000 will allow simultaneous dial input - aperture under index finger, shutter under thumb, which is the accepted way of doing things once you get into the professional range of cameras, so why not start there?

I'd let her answer the questions however.

Though that's in danger of being the wrong way round. I think *most* people would get better photos if they spent less money on the body (eg a 5000-series or 3000-series, which would have essentially the same sensor but fewer controllability features) and more money on the lenses.

With a £700 budget for a DSLR, I think *most* people would be better off thinking (say) £200-£250 body plus £450-£500 lenses rather than £400/300.
i agree with your thinking 100% stewart but what Quality lens are you going to buy with £400 cheers mike. more like £1000 for a good one 24-70 2.8/70-200 2.8 etc (just a thought)

a used 50mm f1.8 G is a good start for £100
a sigma 10 20 or Nikon 12 24 f4 DX is also good at under £400
a good Nikon 85mm f1.8 can be bought for under £200
The small Nikon Macro can be bought for around £200

all good to start with

long will get you a 300mm f4 the older D version for £400
A used 70 300 f4.5/5.6 VR can be had for well under £300

lots of choices used .......... go non Nikon and they are less expensive

i agree with your thinking 100% stewart but what Quality lens are you going to buy with £400 cheers mike. more like £1000 for a good one 24-70 2.8/70-200 2.8 etc (just a thought)

Last edited:
Sophie,

please don't be put off by comments about the 7000 not being suited for "beginners" etc, it'll only be as complicated as you allow it to be.

I firmly believe that no matter how complicated or expensive the body gets it all comes down to manipulating three things, aperature, shutter speed and iso, the only other variable is what you actually see. Yes there are other settings to have a play with but they're common to most if not all dslrs. If you understand this then its up to you which camera mode you choose to achieve this ranging from fully auto to manual.

If you choose the 7000 will it do this for you, yes along with more bells and whistles, settings and sub menus but it will still do it quite simply, you've heard on here from professionals who earn a living using them. What ever you buy have a read of the manual so you understand how to change the metering system, focus points and exposure compensation, add that to my above comments and you're good to go. It doesn't have to be overly difficult and needn't be. When you're ready you can explore all the bells and whistles and see if they actually make a difference to what and how you shoot.;)

Reactions: ST4
As David says above, what are you shooting? Anything specific?
D7000 is a great camera & can be bought new for less than £570 in the UK.
I started with the D7000 & found the 2 control wheels a godsend when using in M
When all said & done, it can be used in Auto or P, if you need.
Most importantly, go & hold before you buy, to check it's the best for you ergonomically.

Back