Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of upgrading...
Currently have a Nikon D7100 with a 18-55mm VRii and Tamron 150-600 mm

Looking at a D800

Is it worth it.

Then it will be worth it IMO, the D800 is FX of course and has better resolution ... it does have an AA filter (like all of its predecessors) but I still found it to be excellent.

I would wait for the d810 to come down in price. May as well get the best d800 variant although it is tempting with d800 prices dropping under £800 in many cases now

Can I not use my two lenses on the D800.... Why would I need to crop?

Can I not use my two lenses on the D800.... Why would I need to crop?
The Tamron would work fine, the 18-55 would work but not to its full potential as it is a DX lens.
Cropping can be done in post processing if you need to, giving you greater control over the final image IMO.

I hve both the D800 and the D810, both are excellent cameras but the later D810 is better in my opinion .
I got my D810 from these grey importers and since then has come down in price by about £50. No problem at all with this company and fast delivery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Nik...857565&hash=item3aa3976b37:g:84wAAOSws5BaWIkL
They only have 1 left according to the link

If you are in the bexhill on sea area anytime you are welcome to try out both with your lenses while here

Last edited:
My question is simple I thought... Is the D800 a step up or not.... Been offered one and not sure if I should take it...

My question is simple I thought... Is the D800 a step up or not.... Been offered one and not sure if I should take it...
Yes it is, though specifically what you intend to use it for will provide a more precise answer.

I hve both the D800 and the D810, both are excellent cameras but the later D810 is better in my opinion .
I got my D810 from these grey importers and since then has come down in price by about £50. No problem at all with this company and fast delivery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Nik...857565&hash=item3aa3976b37:g:84wAAOSws5BaWIkL

If you are in the bexhill on sea area anytime you are welcome to try out both with your lenses while here
So kind. Thanks. Never there, but that was truly a great offer.... I kind of wish I did get down there...

I use the camera mostly for dogs and Children. Don't do landscape...
Just getting some work for newborn...

If you have been offered one find out how many shutter actuations is has done. The higher the number will or should reflect a lower price. I would avoid one with a high count

I believe that the D800 would provide you with better quality images in those situations.

Can't afford the D810.... £1500....ouch...
Seen the D800 for £600.00

Was also thinking of d750....

Save your money and keep the D7100...24MP is more than sufficient for animal and children portraits if printing to A4 or A3. If you're getting the results from your current camera then why change?

check out the link that is y with no deposit I suspect

£1,299.00
From £61.27 per month for 24 months = £1470.48 but a lot less with large deposit

Last edited:
Seems it's as confusing as I thought...
D800, D810, d750 or stay with d7100.....

One can only give ideas and other options available .he D800 is a great camera, i have been to many countries with mine and worked perfectly until I dropped it , now repaired it is better than new.

Only you know if you need it or not and if your happy with what you have. Ask yourself do you really need a FF D800 camera or is it just wishful thinking

Last edited:
All other things being equal, you will get better image quality with an FX over a DX with the same sensor technology generation, simply because with FX you are having to enlarge the base image only half as much as DX. In addition, assuming the FX and DX sensors have the same number of pixels, the FX will receive twice as many photons per pixel, so has more light gathering power and lower noise.

Can't afford the D810.... £1500....ouch...
Seen the D800 for £600.00

Was also thinking of d750....

Not the one on ebay for £600 ?

It has a problem with it if its the one I seen there

Seems it's as confusing as I thought...
D800, D810, d750 or stay with d7100.....

As I said I have the D800 and the D810 and if in my area you are most welcome to try them out here. my dog makes a good model when she is still

I would stick with the D7100 and look at a couple of faster lens. A 50mm or 85mm prime would both work well for portraits etc. Your 18-55 will only work with the D7100 in DX crop mode. Adding a 50 or 85mm would give you more options if you then decide to update the D7100 at a later date.

Back