D7100 Upgrade

Name
Ashley
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm considering upgrading my D90 to a D7100 so any advice would be appreciated....

I'm pretty comfortable/happy at shooting with my D90 but the main issue that I have which has now become apparent to me is that when panning motorsport I find that in AF-C mode, the AF seems a little sluggish at times.

Therefore my number one main reason to upgrade would be down to faster AF, but from the reviews that i've read (of which there have been a lot) it seems that it gets a mixed bag of comments with regards to come of its other specs.

Obviously, along with the faster AF i'm hoping that there would be a pretty big jump in IQ and low light capability compared to the D90. I also like the look of the extra x1.3 crop and the weather sealed body. Video capability i'm not really too fussed by as I'd only use it as a last resort.

From what i've read, i'm slightly concerned about Noise issues above iso 800.

Lens wise, i'd be using it with an 18-70mm & a 70-300 VR.

Is the upgrade worthwhile for said reasons or would I be wasting my time.

Last edited:
Hi Ashley,

I've had the D7000 from new but not tried out the D7100. Prior to this I had a D90. I can honestly say that for me the upgrade from from D90 to the D7000 was remarkable.

IQ, noise and dynamic range (much punchier) was a massive improvement. I have comfortably shot at over 1500ISO without much issue.

I'd make the upgrade every day of the week. Sorry I can't answer your specific question on the AF-C though!

Hi Ashley,

I've had the D7000 from new but not tried out the D7100. Prior to this I had a D90. I can honestly say that for me the upgrade from from D90 to the D7000 was remarkable.

IQ, noise and dynamic range (much punchier) was a massive improvement. I have comfortably shot at over 1500ISO without much issue.

I'd make the upgrade every day of the week. Sorry I can't answer your specific question on the AF-C though!

Thanks Gareth,

The D7000 is an excellent shout and is a body that I wouldn't rule out but my thinking was that if I could afford to spend a little extra then it best to go with the slightly more feature packed d7100...

Last edited:
Ashley,

I wouldn't be too worried about noise, I was shooting 6400 all day Saturday for kickboxing.

High ISO is fine as long as your lens gives enough detail.

You may wish to consider a D7000 and lens upgrade which might give you the best results for your money.

Ashley,

I wouldn't be too worried about noise, I was shooting 6400 all day Saturday for kickboxing.

High ISO is fine as long as your lens gives enough detail.

You may wish to consider a D7000 and lens upgrade which might give you the best results for your money.

Thanks Phil,

It's one or the other at the moment as I'm not in a position to upgrade both a body and a lens at the moment.

The reason I was leaning towards a body was primarily because of the faster AF and increased IQ....

I'm not really sure what lens that I could upgrade to (afford....!) at the moment that would give me better results (I'm running an 18-70 & a 70-300 at the moment)

Keep the 18-70 you'll not get another lens as good at the price
I still use one on my D300 and having a bought D7100 as a 2nd bodyto replace my D90 I can say it works well with that too
Actually due to the improved AF & high ISO handling it is now used more the the D300

Thanks Phil,

It's one or the other at the moment as I'm not in a position to upgrade both a body and a lens at the moment.

The reason I was leaning towards a body was primarily because of the faster AF and increased IQ....

I'm not really sure what lens that I could upgrade to (afford....!) at the moment that would give me better results (I'm running an 18-70 & a 70-300 at the moment)

AF speed is also dependant on the lens too. The 70-300 is a great lens but you can notice the AF speed difference between the 70-300 vr and either a 300 f4 or 70-200 vr1. What is your budget? I'm guessing about £800 if you are thinking of a d7100, both of these lenses are possible to get used for about that price.

The D7100 really shines when using good glass and is a great camera. If you do decide on a body then the d7000 could be a good option. The D7000 is no slow couch either, maybe buy a D7000 and use the saving towards a faster lens. Having not used a d90 can say whether you would see a speed increase with the lenses you have over your d90. IQ would be an improvement on either the D7000 or d7100.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil,

If it were me...

I'd get a used D7000 and sigma 70-200mm OS, tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and sell both current lenses for £320-350. You've just gained up to 2 stops of light for your lenses, improved your AF and IQ is now much better than just upgrading the body.

It's all for less than you'd be spending on the D7100 too since you'll be making money from the lenses.

If it were me...

I'd get a used D7000 and sigma 70-200mm OS, tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and sell both current lenses for £320-350. You've just gained up to 2 stops of light for your lenses, improved your AF and IQ is now much better than just upgrading the body.

It's all for less than you'd be spending on the D7100 too since you'll be making money from the lenses.

That's some good advice, don't be lured by the extra MP, it doesn't offer you anything especially without high quality glass.

I don't have £800 free in cash at the moment without firstly selling some of my existing gear.....

Its my 30th soon so along with any money I'm given plus what I'd get for my d90 should get me to around £700. I was willing to make the rest up in order to purchase a new body (which is also based on swmbo agreeing to it). On top of that if I sold my 70-300 then I reckon that I could get together about £1000.

I'd love the nikon 70-200 2.8 but its so out of my league at the moment.

Last edited:
If it were me...

This is some great advice. Selling all your kit plus a little cash you would be able to upgrade to what Phil has suggested. The d7100 is not a major upgrade from the d7000. Spending all the money on a body may not get you the upgrade you want. Lenses are important, good glass can make a camera sing.

Hold up...

As it stands, you seek to sell your 70-300mm to fund a new body and then you're one lens down???

You would get a better return on IQ buy just buying a sigma 70-200mm OS and selling your 70-300mm instead of your D90.

I think if we're honest, you just really want a D7100 because it's new and shiny ;)

I don't think it's the best improvement you can make for IQ though...

The 3D tracking AF on the D90 is more than capable for your use with a good lens and I think that'll be achieved with the Sigma.

Last edited:
Hold up...

As it stands, you seek to sell your 70-300mm to fund a new body and then you're one lens down???

You would get a better return on IQ buy just buying a sigma 70-200mm OS and selling your 70-300mm instead of your D90.

I think if we're honest, you just really want a D7100 because it's new and shiny ;)

I don't think it's the best improvement you can make for IQ though...

No Phil,

I was seeking to sell my D90 inorder to fund an upgraded body. I knew that I could afford upto a d7100 doing it the way I was planning...

If i'm being honest with myself, I suppose the main reason why I started the thread was inorder to be talked out of simply upgrading to the newist and shiniest body and possibly to take a different route ;)

But you've raised some excellent points and given me something to think about, thanks (y)

Last edited:
Having owner both the D90 and now the D7100 I can assure you that the picture quality is far improved in the D7100
I shoot maily jpeg (shock/horror) often have events which require 1000+ frames in one day and need the speed of processing to get them out witing a day or two. I am finding with the D7100 with it's higher ISO capabilities I am getting a far better success rate and only a bit of cropping required, I used to push the D90 to it's limits in low light, needing a fast shutter speed most of the time
As has been said a lot of focusing will be down to the lens, I do have a nikon 70-200 2.8 and that is vvery quick, but the improved autot focus on the D7100 makes the sigma 150-500 much faster too, that I only use mainly in zoos and wlldlife
One thing I would say, for me in it's favour, a lot of the modes/extras are hidden and you have to push buttons/twist dials to find them, video is pretty good too tried that once

I think i'm going to have to lock myself in a dark room for a couple of days inorder to assimilate all of this info lol ;)....

Thanks for all the guidance guys (y)

Hi also moved from a d90 to a 7100 and at first thought that's better but when I look at both shots from both cameras,together the d7100 is lots better,and also quicker af .no regrets

Given your budget I would also recommend getting the D7000 and the Tamron 17-55 f2.8.

Keeo your 70-300 until you can afford the Sigma 70-200.

That combination will give you much better overall performance than the D7100 with kit lens

Given your budget I would also recommend getting the D7000 and the Tamron 17-55 f2.8.

Keeo your 70-300 until you can afford the Sigma 70-200.

That combination will give you much better overall performance than the D7100 with kit lens

I'm just a tad concerned about losing the extra 100mm but I take it that I could get that back with a tighter crop without losing any IQ...

I'm just a tad concerned about losing the extra 100mm but I take it that I could get that back with a tighter crop without losing any IQ...

Between 200 and 300 it's nothing. I honestly wouldn't worry in the slightest.

Due to the sharper lens, cropping won't be an issue at all and remember, you will have 25% more resolution to make up for any additional crops you wouldn't have normally needed.

Losing the 100mm is a minor issue which you will maybe occasionally miss. But you will be rewarded every shutter click with better IQ, better low light and a much shallower DOF. Esp. At 200.

Sigma 70-200 F2.8 or for a few quid more the Nikon 70-200 F4 - heard great things about that lens and have been seriously debating upgrading my 70-300VR for it..

You won't be disappointed the Nikon 70. -200 f4 is a great sharp lens, it's my next buy, been using a friends for several shoots. It's superb

Between 200 and 300 it's nothing. I honestly wouldn't worry in the slightest.

Due to the sharper lens, cropping won't be an issue at all and remember, you will have 25% more resolution to make up for any additional crops you wouldn't have normally needed.

Taking that into consideration what are your thoughts on the 70-200 as a motorsport lens?

You won't be disappointed the Nikon 70 -200 f4 is a great sharp lens, it's my next buy, been using a friends for several shoots. It's superb

Sigma 70-200 F2.8 or for a few quid more the Nikon 70-200 F4 - heard great things about that lens and have been seriously debating upgrading my 70-300VR for it..

I'd love either the Nikon f2.8 or f4 but at the moment my absolute limit financially is the Sigma

After much deliberation, I went down the path of upgrading my 70-300 VR to a Sigma 70-200 OS f2.8... :D Received it yesterday but not had much time to play with it yet.

A body upgrade is on the horizon but not an absolute priority at the moment....

Thanks for all your help and advice (y)

Back