D750 or D500?

Edit My Images
Yes
I finally made the decision to upgrade my d3200 and invest on new body and lenses. I was watching for the right D750 ads but at some point i tripped on the D500 which is not FF as the other one but seems better for what i wanna do (sports photos also with lowlight). What do you guys think about them?

I think they're both beasts of a camera, but if you don't need FX then I'd go D500 and use if you can, your existing kit with it

Others milage may vary

What's your budget?

The D750 is really good in low light, however, the AF of the D500 is significantly better for sport.... especially in low light.
Well, my budget is under 2000€.
I'm really struggling with the pros and cons of these 2 cameras

Well, my budget is under 2000€.
I'm really struggling with the pros and cons of these 2 cameras
D750 has better low light performance and uses more affordable SD memory cards. It is also full frame, meaning that you will not have a crop factor on your lenses. If you're used to shooting crop, your lenses will appear 'wider' and have less reach.

The D500 has better AF, faster fps, faster/deeper buffer but compromised low light performance. It does have a crop too, but this may not be a big deal for you.

D750 has better low light performance and uses more affordable SD memory cards. It is also full frame, meaning that you will not have a crop factor on your lenses. If you're used to shooting crop, your lenses will appear 'wider' and have less reach.

The D500 has better AF, faster fps, faster/deeper buffer but compromised low light performance. It does have a crop too, but this may not be a big deal for you.
mmm ok as you said, in my case, it may be better the D750 with a 2.8

Last edited:
mmm ok as you said, in my case, it may be better the D750 with a 2.8
Maybe.... but it's impossible to tell as only you know what you're shooting.

It depends on how much sport photography you are going to do.... I shoot sport and portraits. More sport than anything else... in your shoes, I'd be looking for a D4 or D4s over the D750.

Maybe.... but it's impossible to tell as only you know what you're shooting.

It depends on how much sport photography you are going to do.... I shoot sport and portraits. More sport than anything else... in your shoes, I'd be looking for a D4 or D4s over the D750.
I agree, but it has a different cost ahah (quite a different one)

I agree, but it has a different cost ahah (quite a different one)
Agreed - in that case, I'd be looking at the D750, solely on it's low light performance. 7fps is more than adequate for sport shooting, I can't recall what the buffer clearing / depth is like as it's been a long time since I used a D750. With that said, I don't have a D500 as I am worried about the low light capabilities - not saying it's not up to the job, and maybe I'm being short sighted (there's a huge chance) but... the crop sensor does worry me.

For what it's worth, I started using a D3200, then D7200 and found the D7200 was surprisingly capable for sport photography, I believe the D7200 and D750 have similar AF modules.

If your lenses are full frame then I’d get the D750. Conversely, if your lenses are DX then I’d get the D500. I just finished shooting a provincial volleyball tournament in a couple of (relatively) poorly lit gymnasiums with a D750 and the AF-D 80-200. Shutter was set to CH but most bursts were only 3 or 4 shots so buffer was no issue at all. If you’re curious you can see a few Instagram posts under my IG - @thepaulfunk

I finally made the decision to upgrade my d3200 and invest on new body and lenses. I was watching for the right D750 ads but at some point i tripped on the D500 which is not FF as the other one but seems better for what i wanna do (sports photos also with lowlight). What do you guys think about them?
I'm a D750 user, shooting mostly wildlife (fast shutter speeds/high ISO/low light), some martial arts, product and general photography. I love the image quality I get from the D750! Over the past couple of months I have also been using a D500 that belongs to a friend of mine and am amazed at the auto-focus system (speed and accuracy) and frame rate (10fps) but quite disappointed with its low light (high ISO) performance. On balance I prefer the quality of the D750's images and ease of editing.

Now, I'd like to throw another camera into the mix - the D780. This is the replacement for the D750 and is, in my view, a better all-round camera. It has all of the good points from the D750 plus several features that have been imported from the Z6. If I was in the market for a replacement for the D750 the D780 would be top of my list. Consider also that the D750 is getting a bit long in the tooth now and it is only a matter of time until Nikon start to struggle to keep them going. See the D750 thread in Talk Equipment to read my repair saga.

For what it's worth, I started using a D3200, then D7200 and found the D7200 was surprisingly capable for sport photography, I believe the D7200 and D750 have similar AF modules.
The AF in both cameras may be similar, or even the same, but the AF coverage of the scene would be dramatically different between DX and FX. Not saying that necessarily the smaller AF coverage is more difficult, or leads to more centrally placed subjects, as many Pro Sport photographers don't seem to have too many problems, but I like the AF coverage of the DX cameras. The AF in the D500 was a big increase in performance imho with the 153 AF points compared to the 51 AF points of the mid to high end Nikon's prior to the D5/D500. The increased number of AF points helps with tracking too.

The FX camera will almost always be better in low light.

I upgraded sometime ago from a D500 to a D750 and have to say the low light performance and the quality and subject separation moving from crop to full frame was significant. I just found my images got very noisy on the D500 quite quickly as you increased ISO which was the main reason that made me want to switch.

That being said the D500 does focus faster - and is better for action and fast moving subjects.

Just to add my 2 eggs, have you looked at the D7500.

I upgraded from a D3200 to a D610 FF, however, I now use a D7500 for sport and wildlife as I find it more versatile and coupled with a 500 PF lens is lighter and easier for me to use.

PS I understand the D7500 shares the same sensor with the D500

I upgraded sometime ago from a D500 to a D750 and have to say the low light performance and the quality and subject separation moving from crop to full frame was significant. I just found my images got very noisy on the D500 quite quickly as you increased ISO which was the main reason that made me want to switch.

That being said the D500 does focus faster - and is better for action and fast moving subjects.
Good to hear your opinions of having used both - you're saving me from an impromptu D500 purchase!

What do you guys think about the D800 compared to the D750?
When you get into the high resolution FF DSLR's (D8xx) you will find the pixel level noise performance similar to your d3200, because the pixel sizes are about the same. E.g. a D500 is essentially just a DX sized D850 sensor, and it performs about identically at the pixel level... so a significant consideration should be the final useage size of the images.

The main difference (IMO) is the lens requirements; especially for sports/wildlife. I.e. to benefit from the better performance of the larger sensor you need longer lenses that are just as fast; and that is expensive or impossible. E.g. a 300/2.8 for the DX costs about 1/2 the price of a 500/4 for the FF; and both will leave you with about the same IQ (light/image area).

At the long end of reach/composition you rapidly run into what I call "the circle of equivalence" where, no matter how you come up with the final composition (crop/crop sensor/FL/TC), you wind up with about the same results (IQ; light/image).

Last edited:
I did sports professionally and still do some now. The FF camera handles the low light better but I find the D500 works well for sports up too 6400.

Back