D750 or D810

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Am trying to choose between these two and am a little bit stuck and would love to hear from people who own both especially with regard to autofocus speed and accuracy. My main use would be ‘general’ but I like to take images of my own young son and his cousins running around and they all move very fast!!!

I have had some luck through PIXSY for copyright theft and have more than enough for either camera plus grip. I don’t actualy want the 46mp of the D850 and tbh that would be a stretch financially.

I have had the D750 previously and loved the af so primarily I’m looking for better af and accuracy of af points away from centre as I’ll be honest I’m stuck with just the central af point on my d600 as I find the others to not be accurate.

In terms of better af I believe the D750 is fractionally better(?) than the D810 but the slightly wider af point spread of the D810 also interests me.

24meg is more than enough for me but the lack of aa filter in the D810 is a plus point.

The better build quality of the D810 would be nice as having had the D750 it did feel like a plastic toy! But if I’m being honest compact flash is a hassle and would prefer two sd cards.

The PASM of the D750 I would find easier to use and it’s much closer in operation to the D600 I’ve been using for a while.

A flippy out screen used to be great but I’ve got used to not having one so it’s no longer a ‘draw’.

Whilst I know I can save money with the D750 or ‘add a new lens’ there aren’t any other lenses or equipment that I currently need.

All thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago and ended up deciding on the D750. I went to the shop and tried them both and just didn’t like the feel of the D750 - compared to my D700 it felt like a retrograde step. So I ended up with the D810 and have never regretted it.

Is weight & size a consideration?
Nope

I suppose if I’m being honest I’d prefer a D810 but not at the expense of af so if the D750 system is much better (and I do recall being impressed by it) then that’s my cam!

D810 for the sensor. I would not get the 24mp with aa filter in mid 2018. Its so 2012 lol

I`ve had both, and moving from a D300/ D700 to the D750 felt odd, and went with a D810 of which I felt much more at home with. It`s built like a tank too.From memory, the AF isn`t that much different, but the focus point spread on the D810 is so much better.

Personally I would go for the D810 as the image quality is superb, I loved mine but felt it lacked AF speed but its not designed as an out and out sports shooter but its one of Nikons best ever creations.

Depends what you're using it for. For my work, the D750 won it hands down. Resolution of the D810 more a hindrance than a help if you shoot high volume. Ergonomically, I prefer the relative lightness/smaller size of the D750, the tilt screen and (most importantly, I found) the U1/U2 settings. I also found the D750 better in low light both in terms of noise (before resizing) and focusing ability. And then there's the price difference.

If you think you need 36mp go for the D810, otherwise the D750 is superb.

Depends what you're using it for. For my work, the D750 won it hands down. Resolution of the D810 more a hindrance than a help if you shoot high volume. Ergonomically, I prefer the relative lightness/smaller size of the D750, the tilt screen and (most importantly, I found) the U1/U2 settings. I also found the D750 better in low light both in terms of noise (before resizing) and focusing ability. And then there's the price difference.

If you think you need 36mp go for the D810, otherwise the D750 is superb.
Thankyou. I agree with all your points and they also appear on my pros/cons list!

Could you expand a little more on the focusing ability?

Personally I would go for the D810 as the image quality is superb, I loved mine but felt it lacked AF speed but its not designed as an out and out sports shooter but its one of Nikons best ever creations.

Thanks Dangermouse.

I know you recently sold your D810 for focusing issues. Ironically the most keepers Inhave ever got at an air show was with a sony A65 and a Tamron 70-300 and whilst I have improved my kit massively since I haven’t improved my keeper rate but will be interested in your thoughts on the af of the D4. I did think the D810 had the a similar af module?

The D810 was superb when shooting single shots Mark but when on continuous shooting the first one or two shots were fine but then it would lose the tracking and the rest were out of focus, this happened nearly all the time when shooting at 5fps on aircraft, cars and even cycling events, as for the D4 I haven't had a chance to test it yet in the real world, but reviews do say it will rattle 10fps and all shots will be in focus, I should be able to confirm this on Sunday when we go to Breighton airfield.

The D810 was superb when shooting single shots Mark but when on continuous shooting the first one or two shots were fine but then it would lose the tracking and the rest were out of focus, this happened nearly all the time when shooting at 5fps on aircraft, cars and even cycling events, as for the D4 I haven't had a chance to test it yet in the real world, but reviews do say it will rattle 10fps and all shots will be in focus, I should be able to confirm this on Sunday when we go to Breighton airfield.
I suppose that is a requirement of mine.

If my boy is running towards me and I’m using af-c on the d600 and 3fps then not all (not many!) are in focus.

Thankyou. I agree with all your points and they also appear on my pros/cons list!

Could you expand a little more on the focusing ability?

Sure. I've owned multiple D700, D3, D3s, D4, D800, D810, D610 and D750 bodies over the years. Of all of them, the D4 and D750 were objectively the best all-rounders. The D750 was the best in low-light when it came to acquiring focus. I found that in really challenging light the D810 hunted a tad more. These aren't scientific tests, but real-world observations so take them as such.

The D810 is best for IQ, but it's marginal and only really comes into play if you print stuff big - few of my clients do that. For landscape work, I tend to do stitched panoramas anyway! And because I shoot high volume, the big files slowed me down and meant bigger cards, more HDs, longer transfer times etc... If you're shooting low volume then that won't bother you. I'm not big into cropping in post, so don't need the mp for that either.

The main dislikes I had with the D750 were:
*the buffer - it's really, really poor when shooting RAW.
*focusing ability in LV mode (though this is better than all the other bodies I used)
*shutter maxing at 1/4000
*the viewfinder cover popping off and getting lost
*a comparitively narrower spread of AF points
*QUAL adjustment button sitting right beside the ISO adjustment button (though it's best to control ISO with Rec anyway)
*Quiet mode is crap

The main dislikes I had with the D810 compared to D750 were:
*No U1/U2 buttons. It perplexes me why all Nikons don't have these.
*No articulating screen
*LV autofocus is so atrocious it shouldn't exist
*Massive files and resolution that I didn't need
*bulkier and heavier body
*No smartphone/wifi linking
*Low light focusing wasn't as good to me
*It was more expensive.

After owning both for a while we went all in with the D750 and still hold it in great regard. I don't shoot Nikon at all anymore, but that's a different story.

Many thanks @decigallen

As a D600/610 owner how did you rate the af compared to the D810?

I thought the D610 was utter pants. Typical of Nikon to create a nice entry-level FF camera and then deliberately cripple it. We bought it as a backup and I found the focusing ability to be absolutely atrocious in anything but good light. It's really not fit for purpose for virtually all professional work I can imagine.

The D810 is much better than it. The D750 is better still.

Yes it’s the focusing limitations that put me off the D600, although ironically it’s miles better and I mean miles than my original Sony Nex 3!

Thanks for your input @decigallen its been very useful.

I went through this 'dilemma' myself and settled on the D750 for a few reasons. The tilt screen for landscapes, the extra 1.5fps make a surprising difference, I didn't need the MP at that time, the cost, the weight, and the grip. The buffer isn't great but I barely hit the limit, and you can extend it a bit by shooting 12bit RAW instead of 14bit. Since then my needs have changed and I'm lucky enough that I was able to afford the D850 giving me the best of both worlds (except the weight).

D810 all the way. I'm not a fan of user/scene modes. The sensor is awesome. Fantastic dynamic range.

Why not? User modes are incredibly useful - especially if you have to shoot quickly. Eg, Shooting a wedding in a dark church on a sunny day. Set U1 for Church, U2 for Outside. There's no fumbling with settings in the transition from outdoors to indoors. I never use scene settings, but I really don't see a downside to User modes. Now that I'm used to it, its pretty much a 'must have' when I'm buying a camera.

Why not? User modes are incredibly useful - especially if you have to shoot quickly. Eg, Shooting a wedding in a dark church on a sunny day. Set U1 for Church, U2 for Outside. There's no fumbling with settings in the transition from outdoors to indoors. I never use scene settings, but I really don't see a downside to User modes. Now that I'm used to it, its pretty much a 'must have' when I'm buying a camera.

No problem, looks as if you had not got it set on auto ISO on the D810. Just set the shutter speed and let the camera do the rest

Back