D750, TC-20E III and 300mm 2.8 Issues

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
I wanted to create a thread specifically for this in the hope that more people might see it and maybe be able to report similar/identical issues.

I've had my TC-20E III for around 2 years, never had an issue with it, 300mm 2.8 for around a month, never had an issue with it, D750 for around 2 months, never had an issue with it.

Now, a few weeks ago I wanted to use this combo for motorsports, connected all three together and it was fine, all of a sudden it stopped focusing. I tried everything, turning the camera off and on, disconnecting the TC at both the lens and camera end, changing battery, removing grip, absolutely anything that came to mind. When I try and focus, nothing happens within the focal screen on the lens, meanwhile my aperture is going crazy flicking between 2.8 and 5.6, which leads me to think there's some kind of dodgy connection.

I have a D800E with me also, which has always worked perfectly with any combination, I take the TC and lens off, put them on the D800E and it worked perfectly for the 3+ hours I was using it. Now, at the end I wanted to test the D750 again, so I put the combo back on, works fine for about 10 minutes then goes into broken mode again.

I tried to re-enact the issues tonight at home, it seems that every time I put the combo on the D800E, the D750 works fine for a few minutes, however if I turn the D750 off or anything, it goes back into broken mode.

It's absolutely bizarre, and far more than a coincidence as I've tested this so many times now.

I had been following this thread on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2682619@N24/discuss/72157647884559639/ - I noticed that it's actually been updated this week, and that the lens was 're-chipped'. But from my understanding the people having problems in this thread don't get the intermittent issues like I do, just that it doesn't seem to work full stop.

Anyone else experiencing anything crazy with the D750 and teleconverters?

Had a complete no-go with a D810 and 400 2.8 - all worked okay until brought together and then would've AF.
I think there is an issue with new/old compatibility.

My thought too gramps, just find it weird how mine does and then doesn't work. Tried to cause it to stop working while it did work again, seems that nudging it (even as little as placing the monopod on the ground) seems to cause a disconnection. Once it disconnects then the only solution I can find to make it work again is to first connect it to the D800E! Fine again after that. Bizarre!

How old is your 400 2.8? I'm using the AF-S II (last version before they introduced VR.)

My 400 was also the AF-S II version.

Thanks gramps, that's very interesting! I'm going to file a case with Nikon and see if I get anywhere, seems unlikely but it's worth a try I suppose.

Definitely something in this that needs resolving!

Bill, I have a TC 2 III you can try if you wish...
Works fine with my AFS-400mm II & D800e.

I have the 300mm f2.8VR, (first series), the TC20Elll and the TC14Ell ........ I have a D750 ...........I'll give the TC's a try in the next few days and see if I have problems

I had a similar issue with a Nikon D80. I resolved it by cleaning the contacts on the camera carefully with a cotton bud which I moistened with WD40. However I am not an engineer so don't hold me responsible if it causes issues.

Have a look at mounts of each.
Is there any movement when all is attached together?

my d3s 1.4 and 400 had focus issues a few weeks back. the screws in the steel mounts of 1.4 and d3s were loose. tighten them and all good now.

A micro screwdriver set is in my camera bag permanently now.

TCIII works fine with my 70-200 f/2.8 on both D810 and D750 if that's any help.

Thanks for the input, I am yet to have an issue with the 70-200 myself.

Did with mine on the D810 but not with the older 400 f2.8 AF-S II

Definitely seems to be an older Nikon lens and D750 issue then.

Bill, I have a TC 2 III you can try if you wish...
Works fine with my AFS-400mm II & D800e.

Thank you Pete, I appreciate that, only issue is that mine works perfectly with the D800e too. I don't suppose you're local to me are you (Southend, Essex) would be good to try a different one to rule it out if I could.

I have the 300mm f2.8VR, (first series), the TC20Elll and the TC14Ell ........ I have a D750 ...........I'll give the TC's a try in the next few days and see if I have problems

Looking forward to seeing what results you get since it's a newer lens, please update us when you get a chance.

Have a look at mounts of each.
Is there any movement when all is attached together?

my d3s 1.4 and 400 had focus issues a few weeks back. the screws in the steel mounts of 1.4 and d3s were loose. tighten them and all good now.

A micro screwdriver set is in my camera bag permanently now.

Hadn't thought of this, I will do so but since the D750 is new it seems unlikely, I will check the TC though, thanks.

------

I appreciate all the feedback guys, I e-mailed Nikon and they asked me to send all three back, but sadly I won't have the 2-4 weeks they need to check it that I can be without my gear for until November due to bookings. I guess I'll have to stick with the D800E if I'm going to need to use the combo until then, really frustrating but makes me appreciate having a second body!

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with a Nikon D80. I resolved it by cleaning the contacts on the camera carefully with a cotton bud which I moistened with WD40. However I am not an engineer so don't hold me responsible if it causes issues.

You "Cleaned" the contacts with oil.

Next time I'd use Switch cleaner/Isopropyl Alcohol or just a clean cotton bud.

Back