D750 V D7500

Name
andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
just need some advice really , I currently have a d7000 & I am more than happy with it apart from noise when upping the iso & I don't mean into silly figures at about 400 upwards , my photography is not brilliant by any standards ,I shoot mainly aircraft & when I get chance wildlife (especially moths & butterflies ) just got to the stage were if its dull /poor light extra I don't bother ,would also like the second body for air shows so it cuts down on the lens swapping a been , looking at the d750 v d7500 both at my price limit , just wondered if the 7500 is ok with low light or would I gain more with the 750 ???, I usually have to crop quite a bit with my aircraft photography as im using a 300mm lens , hope you can get what I mean with my concerns

cheers
andy

Hi
just need some advice really , I currently have a d7000 & I am more than happy with it apart from noise when upping the iso & I don't mean into silly figures at about 400 upwards , my photography is not brilliant by any standards ,I shoot mainly aircraft & when I get chance wildlife (especially moths & butterflies ) just got to the stage were if its dull /poor light extra I don't bother ,would also like the second body for air shows so it cuts down on the lens swapping a been , looking at the d750 v d7500 both at my price limit , just wondered if the 7500 is ok with low light or would I gain more with the 750 ???, I usually have to crop quite a bit with my aircraft photography as im using a 300mm lens , hope you can get what I mean with my concerns

cheers
andy
Firstly I would say something's not quite right if you're getting that bad noise at 400 ISO on the D7000, are you exposing correctly?

As to your questions you're comparing a full frame body against a crop sensor body, are you aware of the difference? The FF D750 will undoubtedly be better at high ISO but you will lose reach (a 300mm lens gives you 300mm reach on a full frame but on a nIkon crop body will give you 450mm effective reach), also is your lens full frame compatible?

Thats the glory of the F mount - all the full frame lenses work on the APSC bodies :D
Yes, but if he's got the DX 70-300mm it's not really suitable for full frame ;)

D7500 would be better for you - the d750 with the 300 will have a wider field of view than the d7500 due to the way the D7500 sensor crops the frame giving you more reach on the same FL
It does, as I stated before, however what I realised after testing the D7200 against the D750 you could crop the D750 more and maintain higher IQ (compared to the D7200 cropped by the same amount).

Firstly I would say something's not quite right if you're getting that bad noise at 400 ISO on the D7000, are you exposing correctly?

As to your questions you're comparing a full frame body against a crop sensor body, are you aware of the difference? The FF D750 will undoubtedly be better at high ISO but you will lose reach (a 300mm lens gives you 300mm reach on a full frame but on a nIkon crop body will give you 450mm effective reach), also is your lens full frame compatible?

hi
thanks for your reply
its not bad noise at 400 but its creeping in enough to put me off by 800 its bad ( in my eyes ) practically when I compare to others

exposing correctly?
I really don't know they look ok to me but mybe not to others my fliker page is andy759 if you want to judge , if any thing I might over compensate in my ground to air picture's but its the butterflies etc. that seem to suffer most
I under stand I lose reach on the full frame but I was hoping resolution etc would be better etc
I am getting a 200-500mm that my brother has left me in his will (god bless him ) so that would compensate on full frame

andy

hi
thanks for your reply
its not bad noise at 400 but its creeping in enough to put me off by 800 its bad ( in my eyes ) practically when I compare to others

exposing correctly?
I really don't know they look ok to me but mybe not to others my fliker page is andy759 if you want to judge , if any thing I might over compensate in my ground to air picture's but its the butterflies etc. that seem to suffer most
I under stand I lose reach on the full frame but I was hoping resolution etc would be better etc
I am getting a 200-500mm that my brother has left me in his will (god bless him ) so that would compensate on full frame

andy
Tough call that one. Yes the D750 will crop better (it crops very well indeed) but of course the more you crop the worse the noise looks. Do you know anyone that has one that you can borrow to see if it gives you what you want? Another option would be a used D810 as they will give you more effective reach after cropping.

Give that longer lens a try before lashing out on a 'better' body and...

STOP CROPPING. :D

Seriously, noise shouldn't be a problem at ISO 800, it never was on my D90.:)

Give that longer lens a try before lashing out on a 'better' body and...

STOP CROPPING. :D

Certain types of photography do require cropping :p

A bad workman... :p :p
I'd happily get into tiger enclosures if they'd let me, but I've not found a wildlife park that will let me yet ;)

Thanks for the replys guy
going to have a good think about what you have all said ,

cheers
andy

I was looking back over my old D90 images recently, and was surprised how decent it was for it's time at higher ISO. At the time I was shooting gigs for local bands and would be around the 3200 mark a lot, the images are pretty clean - though I would have applied some NR in post, they still held up well. And that is the gen previous to the D7000. The D7500 is Nikon's current best APSC for low light but the D750 will be at least a stop better. I would go for the D7500 for the reach in this case though, with very light NR in post you should expect very usable images up to 3200.

A little noise is not really an issue IMO, I know some are much fussier than others.

The D90 is one of my favourite cameras I've ever used. Even now with a 35 or 50 f1.8 I could quite happily take it out shooting and know it would perform. Some of my best images were taken with it when I upgraded from my first ever DSLR, a D40.

Btw - I read above some mention of the 70-300. If this refers to the 4.5-5.6 VRII that's been out for around 7-8 years, well it certainly isn't anywhere near a nasty little zoom. It's a FF lens that has very good IQ, especially for the used price nowdays.

I was looking back over my old D90 images recently, and was surprised how decent it was for it's time at higher ISO. At the time I was shooting gigs for local bands and would be around the 3200 mark a lot, the images are pretty clean - though I would have applied some NR in post, they still held up well. And that is the gen previous to the D7000. The D7500 is Nikon's current best APSC for low light but the D750 will be at least a stop better. I would go for the D7500 for the reach in this case though, with very light NR in post you should expect very usable images up to 3200.

A little noise is not really an issue IMO, I know some are much fussier than others.

The D90 is one of my favourite cameras I've ever used.

Same here, mine sadly got some water damage after one too many outings in lashing rain. The green info display in the OVF and the top plate LCD died, had to sell it for peanuts in the end. Ever since I have added WR as a must, but I still loved that camera at the time.

I recently swapped the D90 for the D7500. Lots of improvements, the biggest being low light performance. I can confidently shoot up to ISO 1600 and get good and great shots. Love it with the 35mm f.18 prime.

Noise will always depend on what you are shooting though. Closer brighter items will always be better than very dark shots, in my experience.

after taking ing whats been said I have been trying different things & had a good improvement
following pic I would not even attempted normally as my results would of been instant delete (did let the camera do most of the work ),had a improvement on my caterpillar pictures
though some of yesterdays aircraft were naff
still persevering and thanks guys

DSC_0759 by andy 759, on Flickr

Back