D76 Reuse

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Quick question, I've a two litre bottle of D76 to use , If I'm using the developer stock and intending on reusing do i pour the developer back into the bottle? I read this acts as a replenisher, so how do I keep track of how long I should extend the times for?

There's no mention of doing this on the Kodak tech sheet, as they would prefer you to use their D76 replenisher.

However, I have read that people have had some success reusing stock adding 10% development time to each roll used.

This might be a starting point, although persomally I'd just dilute 1:1 and use as a single shot developer.

However, I have read that people have had some success reusing stock adding 10% development time to each roll used.

I read this too. It doesn't make sense to me, as it would depend on what volume of developer was used to start with. Intuitively one would say that if 300ml of used stock solution were to be tipped back into a 5 gallon drop for example, then the next time 300ml was used hardly any increase would be necessary.

It must depend on the molar concentration of active ingredients in the solution but I can't see that the Kodak datasheets help in working this out.

My inability to calculate this is one reason that I also use it 1:1 and then discard it.

I have assumed that the reference to adding 10% is in relation to the volume of the stock solution being 1l. This is only a guess but is based on the fact that adding 10% per roll development time is what Ilford recommend in their tech sheet for reusing 1l of DD-X.

Good, its not just me who is confused by the whole issue. I've used the previous couple of litres at 1+1 but wanted to try it stock with out decanting to another bottle.

Quick question, I've a two litre bottle of D76 to use , If I'm using the developer stock and intending on reusing do i pour the developer back into the bottle? I read this acts as a replenisher, so how do I keep track of how long I should extend the times for?

Hi, This may help you with your calculations. We use stock solution of D76 in our deep tanks (15 litres each) mainly for 5x4 film in racks but also drop the occasional roll of film in there as well in a spiral.

We pre soak all films in plain water at the same temperature before developing them, this helps to release the surface tension and any air bubbles etc.

Bearing in mind that there is more than enough developer to cover the surface of the film. After 5 uses with 2 full racks of 12 - 5x4 film we increase the dev time by 15 seconds and so on. After 20 uses we replenish the developer using Kodak replenisher, and bring the dev time back down again. We have been working like this for many years and have always had very consistent results.

I have also used a similar system and pre soaking the films when developing roll & 35mm film in paterson tanks that would hold up to 5 roll films or 8 - 35mm films or any combination until the tank was full. However I would make up 4.5 litres of stock solution and fill the tank completely regardless of how many films were in it. After developing the films the solution would be tipped back into the 4.5 litre container. After 5 uses I would increase the dev time by 15 seconds and after 20 uses I would discard the solution and mix up some more. Once again this gave me very consistent results.

Please note tipping the part used solution back into any unused solution "DOES NOT" replenish it.

Hope this helps.

I read this too. It doesn't make sense to me, as it would depend on what volume of developer was used to start with. Intuitively one would say that if 300ml of used stock solution were to be tipped back into a 5 gallon drop for example, then the next time 300ml was used hardly any increase would be necessary.

It must depend on the molar concentration of active ingredients in the solution but I can't see that the Kodak datasheets help in working this out.

My inability to calculate this is one reason that I also use it 1:1 and then discard it.

I would agree.

For small tank use It is best to use 1/1 and throw after use.
When I used it commercially I used 3 gallon tanks and used spiral cages for rolls and hangers for 5x4 I use replenisher to top up.
You just topped the tank to the original level, and maintained the same developer time.

D76 Kodak and ID11 Ilford had Identical chemical formulations
Both Kodak and Ilford have ceased production of their replenishes ( D76R and ID11R) Though old stock, if you can find it, will not have gone off if the powder is still white.
However Silver print are making up the ID11R to the original formulation.

If you can find an old BJP almanac from the 50's or earlier, you will find the original formulae and mixing instructions.

Last edited:
I would agree.

D76 Kodak and ID11 Ilford had Identical chemical formulations
Both Kodak and Ilford have ceased production of their replenishes ( D76R and ID11R) Though old stock, if you can find it, will not have gone off if the powder is still white.
However Silver print are making up the ID11R to the original formulation.

Looks like AG Photographic are still selling D-76R:

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kodak-d76-replenisher-38l-365-p.asp

I've checked on Kodak's website and they don't mention it as being discontinued, and its still on all of their technical publications so perhaps its not discontinued?

Back