D80 fault or known 'issue'

Name
AndyT
Edit My Images
Yes
some of you may have seen my star trails pic over here
the reddish glow in the corners is from no external light source, in my opinion and experience using long exposure CCD before it is an over heating issue, either of the CCD itself or of some other component near the CCD..
my question is to anyone else out there with a D80, does yours do the same or is mine over sensitive/faulty
the image linked above is of about 12*5-10 minute exposures
1 single 20 minute exposure looked worse, and the 5 min ones which were all back to back gradually get worse.
appreciate any thoughts or comments.

I have the D80 and have not had this problem. I must admit that I don't do exposures that long normally. As soon as my new cable release arrives I will test it out and let you know. I'm expecting it tomorrow (fingers crossed) so I will test it Thursday.

I've read this before.... and I think it was in Nikon published journal. They were saying it's a problem that it difficult (read expensive) to resolve. Overheating being the cause.

I was going to try tonight but it's so cold I don't suppose the battery will last for a long exposure (or me for that matter). ;)

I had that problem with my D80 - it seemed to be pretty a pretty common "flaw" when I went to research it. I ended up just cropping the pics to avoid the red glows. Not tried it with my D200 yet...

I did some really long exposure stuff and didn't see that on mine? I've lost the pics since then but I've taken a shot that must've been about 15-20 minutes and while they looked utter ****e they didn't have that so I dunno what it is (unless I have a newer model or it was a colder night?)

i wonder if i should email nikon then?
my camera was bought in november 07 i would guess the air temp was around freezing when i took those, and those are the only really long exposures i have taken
i have done some reading on tinterweb and found there is definately a case of some cameras displaying this kind of issue
if its not all there must be a solution...

yeah I think you should deffo try and get it covered on warranty... I'll go take some long exposures and check again - I'll let you know!

It's called amp glow.
It's well documented and I think even the user manual warns of this, although it's not advertised by Nikon.
Have you tried long exposure noise reduction?
This will of course slow your write to card times down.

Back