D80 or the D200, Which to Buy

Name
Bridget
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in the process of upgrading my camera, currently have both the D50 and D70 and would look to sell the D70 as I prefer using the D50 as it seems better on grain. I would value any views you have between the Nikon D80 and D200.

Having compared the 2 side by side on dprview I am still torn between these 2 cameras although leaning towards the D80 as there seems to not be enough gain with the D200 for the extra money but maybe I’m missing something.

My main shooting is weddings and portraits and use the sigma 24-70 and 70-200 lens’

Please share your thoughts on these 2 cameras for me.

Same sensor, mostly same gubbins except d200 sensor has 4channel output so writes to cards quicker, hence the quicker FPS rate.

If you're using it professionaly, I'd go for the d200. Weather sealed, faster. more direct access to settings, magnesium body will handle the rigours of daily usage better.

If you shoot mostly weddings and portraits I'd be looking at the new Fuji dSLR. Based on the d200 with the same lens mount and has all the bells and whistles attached to that but has the fuji sensor which is supposed to be the mutts nuts for portraits and weddings etc. Better dynamic range and rendition of skin tones. All vital for your line of work!

Some great views there Gandhi, I have also considered the Fuji S5 but this would mean extra layout for external flash, wireless radio etc. This would not be possible at this time as business is only just getting going. Maybe this will be a move in the future. OMG how wonderful it would be not to have such a restricting budget lol.

Some great views there Gandhi, I have also considered the Fuji S5 but this would mean extra layout for external flash, wireless radio etc. This would not be possible at this time as business is only just getting going. Maybe this will be a move in the future. OMG how wonderful it would be not to have such a restricting budget lol.

Did you know the Fuji is compatible with Nikons wireless flash system? It has the internal flash to use as the controller is compatible with the SB800 etc, and all of Nikons accessories?

It is a bit pricey though....

LOL Ewan

Still think its out of my price range though, that's partly the trouble with the D200 too.

I am in the process of upgrading my camera, currently have both the D50 and D70 and would look to sell the D70 as I prefer using the D50 as it seems better on grain. I would value any views you have between the Nikon D80 and D200.

Having compared the 2 side by side on dprview I am still torn between these 2 cameras although leaning towards the D80 as there seems to not be enough gain with the D200 for the extra money but maybe I’m missing something.

My main shooting is weddings and portraits and use the sigma 24-70 and 70-200 lens’

Please share your thoughts on these 2 cameras for me.

The D200 is a Professional D-SLR in terms of size weight & features (no Auto / Portrait / Landscape / Night Scene / etc)
You just missed the sale of my D200 btw but when I get round to replacing it I will probably go for a D80 as most of the advanced features of the D200 were wasted on me tbh
HTH - Paul ;)

Jemini
Between my better half & I we have both these cameras. I won't repeat the excellent comments above, but would say that unless the weather is really foul, I stick with using the D80. Main reason being that although I almost always shoot in aperture mode, I still like the comfort of the pre-sets for when I can't decide the settings or need to change them very quickly. Example - yesterday I was in the NEC having a horrible time working out the correct settings. Changing to Sport & Portrait meant I've some cracking shots I would have never got. I'd rather just move the dial than spend 30 seconds guessing! You're using the exact same lenses as me (Sigmas) & although I prefer the feel of the D200, I just keep reaching for the D80.
One other thing, I do notice that the dial on the D80 gets knocked around to other settings when on my shoulder; not a problem with the 200. Just check the dial before I shoot every time!

Thank you all so much for your views, I have just ordered the D80 and not await delivery.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, and just couldn't justify the extra money for the D200 (i don't really need the weather sealing and high FPS). Decided to get the D80 + Grip and SB600 for less than the D200 cost.

How are you getting on with it, do you have any regrets on not getting the D200.

I know its too late to change my mind now as I've placed my order.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, and just couldn't justify the extra money for the D200 (i don't really need the weather sealing and high FPS). Decided to get the D80 + Grip and SB600 for less than the D200 cost.

How are you getting on with it, do you have any regrets on not getting the D200.

I know its too late to change my mind now as I've placed my order.

Although its been ordered, i still haven't got it yet :thinking:

Still trying to sort out the finance.

I ened up going for the D80 when I upgraded 3 weeks ago, I have got quite small hands so the D200 just didn't feel right. Another factor I thought about, although not sure if this is correct, was that its pretty useless having a weather sealed camera if you haven't got weather sealed lenes, if you can get weather sealed lenses?

I ened up going for the D80 when I upgraded 3 weeks ago, I have got quite small hands so the D200 just didn't feel right. Another factor I thought about, although not sure if this is correct, was that its pretty useless having a weather sealed camera if you haven't got weather sealed lenes, if you can get weather sealed lenses?

I'm pretty sure one of the Canon 50mm is weather sealed...

Most of the fixed-body (i.e. internal zoom) lenses are weathersealed I believe - certainly having no external moving parts protects from water & dust.

Back