D80 Replacement

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to buy a Nikon D80 in the next couple of weeks but I am just wondering if it is worth biding my time until the replacement for the current model is released and consequently the price for the older model drops. Does anyone have any news or vague ideas on when the new model (the D90?) will be with us? I have searched and searched for some clues as to when this will be but to no avail. By my reckoning and Nikon's current upgrade schedule a replacement is surely overdue. Anyone got any ideas? :help:

This is a really tricky one to answer. I guess the D80 has been around for about 18 months now and, from what I can see, the "consumer" end models seem to get upgraded every 18-24 months.

But, if Nikon dealers in the UK are to be believed, they get no more than a few days "official" notice of a new model being released.

Having said all this, the D80 is a great camera and will serve you well until NAS bites and you "need" to upgrade from the D80.

:D

I think a worthy upgrade from the D80 maybe the D200? I know this is a similar age to the D80 but if you buy S/H then you get more camera for your money imo :)

Having said all this, the D80 is a great camera and will serve you well until NAS bites and you "need" to upgrade from the D80.

:D

Thanks for the advice guys....please excuse my ignorance but what does 'NAS' mean and what are its implications? Is it worth me saving a few more pennies and opting for the D200/300 instead? I want to be sure that whatever I buy will serve me well into the future. I don't want to buy a turkey.

NAS.. nikon acquisition syndrome

implications ? ending up skint with a headache from a nagging wife...:D

the D 80 is no turkey ,but the D 200 has many more features

It kinda depends on your budget. I traded in my D200, body only, at London Camera Exchange and got £510 for it. I guess they wanna make a bob on it.

One of the stands at Focus was knocking out Nikon B grade stock at the show for £499 and that comes with a full 12 month warranty. If you can get one of those, might be worth thinking about and then pick up a kit lens of your choice.

Now I am very tempted this sounds like the way forward. The D200 does have a proper magnesium body and takes CF cards and to be fair after doing some limited research I can't find a bad review anywhere....will have to give this some serious consideration overnight! :thinking:

Hi, 1st time poster here!!

I just picked up a brand new UK D200 for £640, was the cheapest I could find... PM me if you want to know where from. (Not sure if I am allowed to link to it here)

I've had my D80 since summer 2007. I chose this over the D200 for a few reasons. IMO the D200 isn't that much better than the D80 in the real world. The main advantage of the D200 is the all-weather case, but I never take mine out in the rain, anyway.

Also, the extra £400 or so I could have spent on the D200 over the D80; I thought it much better to put towards better lenses. Better lenses will serve you more than a better body, unless you can afford both. ;) PLus it helps if the big thing behind the camera knows how to use it lol.

I've had my D80 since summer 2007. I chose this over the D200 for a few reasons. IMO the D200 isn't that much better than the D80 in the real world. The main advantage of the D200 is the all-weather case, but I never take mine out in the rain, anyway.

Also, the extra £400 or so I could have spent on the D200 over the D80; I thought it much better to put towards better lenses. Better lenses will serve you more than a better body, unless you can afford both. ;) PLus it helps if the big thing behind the camera knows how to use it lol.

DITTO right down to the date of acquisition.EERY

I read the other day that Nikon might make announcements regarding a new model to replace the D80 at the Photokina show in September.

To be honest I'd rather go straight to the D300 if I was to replace my D80, but until then I want better lenses and more filters.

To be honest I'd rather go straight to the D300 if I was to replace my D80, but until then I want better lenses and more filters.

Same here... in fact I'm really really tempted to do it very soon as I have a bonus coming up. I have a d80 which I've only had a short while so I might stick that up for sale for £350 or so.

D200 is great but D300 and D3 just seem too much of an upgrade to ignore for me.

The D200 is a better camera than the D80, who knows what the D90 will include or even if it will exist.
Ken Rockwell is a bit of a nonce but I think his side by side comparison between D80 & D200 is pretty good accurate read.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

If you dont want to read all the text, scroll down to his 3 spec charts and see why the D200 is superior, some might matter to you, some might not.

that rear nav button would be bloody handy! so would all the stuff in the viewfinder. damn those guys at nikon, they've really learnt how to make people want the slightly more expensive model, then when you finally accept that you'll part with the extra cash you see the feature of the next camera you can't afford. rinse and repeat. heh. swines!

As sure as night follows day, the D90 will be a dumbed down D300 as the D80 was to the D200.

As sure as night follows day, the D90 will be a dumbed down D300 as the D80 was to the D200.

Hmm thats a good point. I wonder if I should should just wait for the D90 then? Do you expect it to have the same noise performance/screen and live view? :thinking:

Would I Be Correct In Assuming The D90 Will Be The Equivilant Of The 450d, If It Is, I Would Expect A Similar Spec To That Myself

Would I Be Correct In Assuming The D90 Will Be The Equivilant Of The 450d, If It Is, I Would Expect A Similar Spec To That Myself

No. The 450D is equivalent to the D60; entry level SLRs.

You should wait. Everybody knows that when a new camera is released, the previous model immediately becomes absolutely rubbish. I haven't taken a single good picture with my 350D since Canon released the 400D, and a 400D won't take any good pictures once the 450D is out.

You should wait. Everybody knows that when a new camera is released, the previous model immediately becomes absolutely rubbish. I haven't taken a single good picture with my 350D since Canon released the 400D, and a 400D won't take any good pictures once the 450D is out.

hahaha trader-tastic! :LOL:

hahaha trader-tastic! :LOL:
Oops! I'd forgotten about my "title". The effect I'd been after was 100% pure sarcasm, but I guess that title might have complicated it.

I don't buy, sell or hire camera bodies, so I have no "professional" interest in whether people buy new or old, upgrade or not, etc. I do manage a lens hire business, but which camera bodies people have don't really have any impact on that.

The (non-sarcastic) bottom line as far as I'm concerned: if you delay buying a DSLR (especially your first) because there's a newer, better model on the horizon then you'll never buy one. There's always a newer better model on the horizon.

I detected only jest in your post but I did think it was quite funny, and doubly so coming from a 'trader'... but I didn't suspect anything sinister at all and agree with you entirely :)

Back