D800 or D800E

thanks guys I'll take a look at those lenses... - still think the Nik 1.4 is what I want though.

Diving Pete said:
thanks guys I'll take a look at those lenses... - still think the Nik 1.4 is what I want though.

Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, I'd definitely have the 85 f1.4 g but for an alternative at a quarter of the price which doesn't compromise on IQ, the manual focus samyang is worthy of a look.

Samyang B&W Candid by Sir SR, on Flickr

S

Do you know what it's like on the d800 Phil? Genuine question.

S

Nope. It was stupidly good on my D7000, the bokeh at 1.4 was amazing - can only imahine the effect on FF.

I would never ever get the afs over the afd. Not because it's not good, I'm sure its every bit as good and more but it's also £4-500 more used and the AFD was seriously sharp with fast focusing etc.

Prior to buying my Tamron 70-200 VC I can comfortably say it was the best lens I ever owned.

Nope. It was stupidly good on my D7000, the bokeh at 1.4 was amazing - can only imahine the effect on FF.

I would never ever get the afs over the afd. Not because it's not good, I'm sure its every bit as good and more but it's also £4-500 more used and the AFD was seriously sharp with fast focusing etc.

Prior to buying my Tamron 70-200 VC I can comfortably say it was the best lens I ever owned.

Ta Phil

I only asked because I met a guy who preferred the samyang to the afd so, wrongly it seems, assumed the afd wasn't great on the d800.

S

Phil Young said:
I wouldn't want to manual focus on the best of days, let alone trying at f1.4 ...

That's why, as much as I love my samyang and the results it gets, I keep looking out! Difficult to get these kind of results for 280 (well that's what I think I paid a few years ago new!)

It is still the non E users recommending against. Here's a good enough reason for me to go E: i haven't touched sharpening sliders in lightroom since buying it. That is the real only difference tbh. But also, the E is holding value better than the standard.

The 85 1.4g scores higher than the 1.4 on DXO. It's a phenomenal lens for the money. With a D800 you really don't need 1.4.

for me I don't see people selling their D800e's to buy D800's - but I do see this the other way....

So non issue - I'm looking now for a D800e - (& goodbye to LR Sharpening - lol)

The lens will must likely appear in a xmas pressie to myself - although I'll worry about what version then...

Thanks to everyone for their ideas...

Ok I'm very new to Nikon, I've been shooting with Canon for a couple of years and hope to pick up a Nikon D800 within next few days etc...

Need advice as to any extension tubes that Nikon make please? When I shot using Canon I owned a Canon 12mm extension tube and had great results with it and it wasn't silly money to buy.

So any advice to see what Nikon do extension wise please..? Any advice most welcome.

Back