D800 or Not?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all.
I am looking at taking the next step in to photography, at the moment I am just doing it for fun/friends and the odd small event.
But I am looking at moving forward and taking it more seriously as people keep asking for work to be done, from weddings, to photos for web sites, and a lot of sport.
I have been looking at cameras and I like the look of the d800. I have the funds which I have saved up but I am trying to decide if this camera is the right camera for me.

So the question is d800 or not?? Shall I buy a cheaper model ?? I feel that this camera is above my skill level but I will work hard to learn all of its abilities.
But hopefully this camera will cover all aspects of my needs and more?
Any advise would be helpfully :)

What lens do you have or how much have you budgeted for that?

Arguably, many pro's don't even need a D800 - they've managed well these years without it!

Hi, I have 70-200 f2.8 also 120-400 sigma, 30 f1.4 and A 50m f1.8 and have 2 kit lens that came with my first camera :)
I still have a budget after the camera which I would spend on lenses if need be.
The camera as I said is above my skill level at the mo but I would learn all I need to and if I brought a camera would I ever need to change it?

Remember that the files off the D800 are huge, so if you've not got a powerful computer you'll probably need to factor in one of those. Bear in mind also, that to get the best out of the D800, Nikon reckon you need to be using one of the lenses off their recommended list, which I can't find the link to.

Only you know what level you're at and whether this camera would be right for you. My recommendation would be that unless you need the massive resolution of the D800, buy a D700 and spend the money you save on some good tuition to get the most out of your gear.

I've noticed you said you are looking at getting into paid work.

My recommendation is buy either two D700 bodies or a D700 and a D300s. This way you have backup gear in the event of a failure - which especially at a wedding - you want. Plus you can use two bodies for more scope and minimise lens changes.

Ive been asking myself this question for a few weeks now and nearly ordered one last night....

i have a Nikon 24-70 2.8 and 50 1.4

I would benefit from the video capabilities which is the only main reason im choosing it over the 700, the file sizes put me off a little but i have a very powerful computer (Yes im a geeky gamer)

But this is my first step into the FX World, so should i try the 700 and loose the video or just go all in on the 800?

I've noticed you said you are looking at getting into paid work.

My recommendation is buy either two D700 bodies or a D700 and a D300s. This way you have backup gear in the event of a failure - which especially at a wedding - you want. Plus you can use two bodies for more scope and minimise lens changes.

Couldn't agree more especially since you're shooting for profit (y)

Hi all. I would like to say thanks for the replies. I have a lot to think about :) and all the info you have given me is very helpful, keep it coming :)

I suppose it also depends on the type of photography you are intending to use it for. For things like sport, the D700 may be a better bet as you may not necessarily want gigantic files, whereas for landscape type stuff you may prefer the larger files. For weddingsetc the D700 may again be a good bet unless you need the video capabilities.

Personally I would love a D800, but can't afford one!

Some sound advice here people. I am still stuck!
I will be doing lots of different work, from sports which is as they say "is my speciality", to portrait, also I would like to do commercial and surveillance photography, weddings too. Landscape would be more of a hobby as well as wildlife, but hopefully a hobby that I will do as much as possible.

I feel that the idea of two cameras is the wise idea (d300 and the d700), but the d800, by the look of it a outstanding piece of kit of which hopefully I would never have to replace.
And the advice about the computer isn't a problem, the computer I have is good enough for the file sizes. And my photos are stored on external hard drives.

Please keep the comments coming as I haven't made my mind up yet and need all the advice/help I can get.

Cheers :)

Well the D4 is the ultimate sports camera in the Nikon range. The next best thing as a do-it-all body would be a D3S.

kman said:
Well the D4 is the ultimate sports camera in the Nikon range. The next best thing as a do-it-all body would be a D3S.

The price is to much. I would like to buy some lenses too. If I got the d3s that would be the whole budget.

Last edited:
You won't consider a 2nd hand D3s? They go for around the same as a D800 new.

kman said:
You won't consider a 2nd hand D3s? They go for around the same as a D800 new.

Maybe from the right person? Or store. I will look into it. Thanks for the advice

If its video your wanna do more of the D800 control will be better than a D3s plus you get the frame rates on the 800 too.

According to someone in Jessops today If you don't pre order a D800 I wouldn't get one till Sept. Im gonna order one next month I think!

Forget video - do a search on here to find out why, I'm not typing it out again.

For sport, don't buy a D800, its a waste of time - frame rate is far too slow for pretty much any sport. For those choosing to argue, don't waste your typing - our friend here wants to make money from photography, not randomly get a good image once a day.

Best combination of wedding/sport camera is probably the D3S, although for sport you will need some very long very expensive glass. Start thinking probably dropping 4k-5k on glass to get setup for sport minimum.

Also, research your potential market - if you have blown 8k-10k on kit, how quickly will you make it back from starting in sport - the answer I can tell you for sure, is very slowly - unless you happen to know someone at an agency who will employ you straight away....

desantnik said:
Forget video - do a search on here to find out why, I'm not typing it out again.

For sport, don't buy a D800, its a waste of time - frame rate is far too slow for pretty much any sport. For those choosing to argue, don't waste your typing - our friend here wants to make money from photography, not randomly get a good image once a day.

Best combination of wedding/sport camera is probably the D3S, although for sport you will need some very long very expensive glass. Start thinking probably dropping 4k-5k on glass to get setup for sport minimum.

Also, research your potential market - if you have blown 8k-10k on kit, how quickly will you make it back from starting in sport - the answer I can tell you for sure, is very slowly - unless you happen to know someone at an agency who will employ you straight away....

Thanks for your input. Sports is something I do a lot of now. From motox to football. I agree with the lens part. I will get my lenses over time. I lens share with a friend who has a 400mm lens so have some kit. And I agree with the fact that not a lot of money is to be made from this type of photography. I have a few links to large agency's who are willing to pay me to do work for them on a larger scale for not bad money but I will need better kit than I have at the moment.
I am hoping to make my money at commercial photography and studio stuff. With a little surveillance photography though a person I know.
Finger crossed the transaction from amateur to professional photography goes well. There is so much to learn and never enough time :)

Pair of d3s's it is then I suggest...

but the d800, by the look of it a outstanding piece of kit of which hopefully I would never have to replace

Togs on here have been saying that since the Nikon D2 series and it seems a pretty silly thing to say with the benefit of hindsight!

Beagletorque said:
but the d800, by the look of it a outstanding piece of kit of which hopefully I would never have to replace

Togs on here have been saying that since the Nikon D2 series and it seems a pretty silly thing to say with the benefit of hindsight!

Maybe maybe not. I am not saying that better or different cameras won't come out but, I wouldn't have to replace the camera. Not saying I wouldn't get another camera :)

desantnik said:
Pair of d3s's it is then I suggest...

Bit pricey, definitely couldn't afford 2. Plus if I was getting 2 I would get 2 different cameras that could do different stuff I think. #morephotographyoptionsthen :)
But thanks for the d3s suggestion thou :)

Back