D800

I have one Mark. Other than for FPS, I see no reason to shoot in DX mode, may as well crop the original.

Tracking is good, very good.

Only had it a couple of weeks and not really had chance to use it much, so can`t comment i`m afraid. I`ll rectify that soon and will come back to you mate.

I've thought about the very same thing as a D800 is likely to be my next piece of kit. Apart from the FPS I see no advantage to the crop mode, as Ade said its exactly the same image as if you just cropped from the original.
I would imagine this has to be better for traking from a technique point of view as if the bird isnt bang on centre you can just crop where needed where as in crop mode your stuck to that centre area and if any of the bird is out of that then its lost.

The other big advantage to crop mode is file size, especially if shooting RAW. You get a lot more shots on the cards and in the buffer.

I've not tracked birds with it but I have tracked fast moving cars and it's very good, any problems are usually down to flaws within my technique.

The other big advantage to crop mode is file size, especially if shooting RAW. You get a lot more shots on the cards and in the buffer.

I've not tracked birds with it but I have tracked fast moving cars and it's very good, any problems are usually down to flaws within my technique.

Ho many RAW shots can you take before the buffer fills up? and do you know if that applies to both the 5f/s and 6f/s?
thanks

Graham, how long does it take the buffer to clear a few shots worth so you can start shooting again and how long to completely clear the buffer? Don't worry too much, it's mainly just curiosity (I'm trying to talk myself out of an upgrade from my D700!)

Nod just a very rough test, this is based on a Sandisc Extreme Pro 95m/bs SD card.

From when the camera slows down its approx 9 secs on mine - based on a kitchen clock - so not state of the art testing:D
Of course the camera will still take images during this period at a slower rate.
I never had a problem with the buffer in real life, but when shooting superbikes I usually shoot jpeg so thats no guide.

Thanks for taking the time Graham.

Andy Rouse is a funny chap:

"On the subject of D800 sharpness, one D800 knocker spoke to me at Focus, spreading rumours that the D800 images would all be out of focus due to the file size. I have noted other reviewers suggesting that at low shutter speeds the D800 images are not sharp, all I can say is check the hare image at 1/60th second, put that in your pipe and schmoke it baby."

And:

"A lot has been written about the D800 being solely for bearded landscapers and architectural types with perpetually cricked necks. You know I sometimes wonder if the people that write this stuff are actually photographers or just technical writers who just read books instead of talking to girls."

:D

Good man. I'm tired of hearing people say it's no good for this ir that, we had that out on the D800 thread, I still cannot believe that actual users of the camera still think it's "harsh" - it's not. No harsher than a D90 if you're not shooting steady enough

The only thing it lacks is a fast burst mode, and I don't think anyone should rely on such things. It'll be great for wildlife. I just bought a 300mm f4 for mine, and ordering a TC 1.4x on top. To give me a 420mm f/5.6. I'm keen on trying a little wildlife. Nothing specific, a bit of everything really. SO far I'm getting shap shots at 1/160 - using a 300mm lens that has no VR, hand held. Yup, that D800 is soooo 'harsh' ;)

Who cares either way? He was right about the D800, when he did review it, that's the point.

Jared Polin and "ThatNikonGuy" are both gone all Canon now too ...

What does it matter what Andy Rouse uses, or me or you for that matter,use whatever you want and enjoy it.

Precisely! I just agree with a few pointers he states regarding it ;)

Indeed.

Did you manage to get your 300 F4 from over here or HK?

This side of the water, over priced perhaps ... but enjoying it :) Hunting down a 1.4x

Great combo on the D800 bud, light and quick.

Using My D800 ok only with the 24-70mm lens at the moment but hand held is fantastic.

One of my concerns before purchase was all this rubbish about only being good for studio/landscape. What a load of tosh,to put it mildly, it knocks my D300 right out the widow with picture quality on everything i have tried it on.

Using My D800 ok only with the 24-70mm lens at the moment but hand held is fantastic.

One of my concerns before purchase was all this rubbish about only being good for studio/landscape. What a load of tosh,to put it mildly, it knocks my D300 right out the widow with picture quality on everything i have tried it on.

Same here, I went straight from a D90 to D800E. Only differences in shooting I note are the improvements! Better, more solid body, better VF, all-round better on-body control, more intuitive, and much better results. I think anyne who feels it's "harsh" should stay DX, no kidding.

Great combo on the D800 bud, light and quick.

I'm awaiting Grays to get back to me on a 1.4x they have listed. If they don't get back by tomorrow I'm going to make an offer on a 1.7x that is currently listed on a local advert site.

But ... regardless, alone, the lens is great. And I say that only having it a few days. i was a little worried about it being just f4 at that length, with no VR ... pffft ... not a problem. because it's easy to hand-hold. I've already had some dead sharp shots at 1/160 of moving subjects [the cat, and kids .. but what better test?]

And well, even simple candids: the missus had no idea I even took this one

Cooling off by Cagey75, on Flickr

Back