D850

Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi just set the camera to back button focus, works ok, focuses as it should
the problem is if I forget and go to focus with the shutter button I can hear the motor running, but it does not move the lens
if I then press the back button the lens will focus, and once focused if I press the shutter button it works great
no noise just takes the picture

Last edited:
Hi just set the camera to back button focus looks to work ok but if I half press the shutter without focusing first I can hear the motor running doesnt move the lens though if I focus with the back button first it doesn't is this correct

Can you re-word the question? Not sure I fully understand but just as one possibility, are you not hearing VR noise (rather than AF motor) when you half press the shutter?

Sorry but without punctuation this is very hard to understand - are you saying you’ve set your camera to back button focus and it isn’t working? Once set up the back button should replicate a half press of the shutter and focus

Are you using AF-C and have you set focus release priority to 'release' rather than focus.

In all honesty, I find it hard to understand exactly the issue. But my hunch is that the camera is not set to release priority and you're hearing the VR whirring not AF.

In a scenario where you haven't focussed the lens and try to fire a shot, the shutter button engages the VR (if your lens has it) but will not fire a shot until it has confirmed focus, which will never happen unless you manually intervene.

In the other scenario, where you focus first, the camera can fire off an image instantly as it can see that focus is acquired. You won't necessarily hear the VR this time as it won't have time to engage unless you've been half pressing the shutter button as well.

Hard to explain but makes sense in my head at least!

I think you will find it's your image stabilisation kicking in when you depress the shutter button carmot :)

Are you using AF-C and have you set focus release priority to 'release' rather than focus.

In all honesty, I find it hard to understand exactly the issue. But my hunch is that the camera is not set to release priority and you're hearing the VR whirring not AF.

In a scenario where you haven't focussed the lens and try to fire a shot, the shutter button engages the VR (if your lens has it) but will not fire a shot until it has confirmed focus, which will never happen unless you manually intervene.

In the other scenario, where you focus first, the camera can fire off an image instantly as it can see that focus is acquired. You won't necessarily hear the VR this time as it won't have time to engage unless you've been half pressing the shutter button as well.

Thanks

Thank you, your correct it was vr

Back