D90 - Mirror Lock up?

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been trying to work out if the D90 has an effective alternative to MLU. I know that it doesn't have MLU but from my googling there appear to be 2 alternatives to reducing vibrations when shooting long exposures:

1. Using Live View. Apparently this automatically provides an element of mirror vibration reduction
2. Exp. delay mode. Allows time for the mirror to 'settle' before the exposure begins.

Anyone know if these alternatives actually help improve sharpness in long exposures? and if so, is it as effective as the more conventional MLU modes found on other models?

Assuming that you're talking about exposures of many seconds then the pre-digital method was to simply hold your hand (or a card) over the lens until everything had settled after activating the shutter.

Bob

Assuming that you're talking about exposures of many seconds then the pre-digital method was to simply hold your hand (or a card) over the lens until everything had settled after activating the shutter.

Bob

yep - many second exposures is what i'm talking about. Option 2 above would be the digital equivalent of what you used to do manually.....but is it as effective as MLU??

Yes please. I would be interested in the results of tests such as these. (y)

Andy

If you want to lock the mirror up before taking the shot, to prevent camera shake, can't you compose and focus the shot through the viewfinder, then activate Live View, the mirror should then be "up" while you take the shot.
This is how I use mirror lock on my 40D, I assume Nikon has a similar system.
If you want to keep the shutter open for a long time, over 30 sec, I think you will have to use the "B" setting in manual mode.

Alwyn

Hi Ted, when doing long exposures on the D50 I use the remote on a timer delay, which is 2 seconds. If memory serves correctly the manual says this is to allow the mirror to lock in place and reduce movement before taking the shot as per method 2. An example of this is here

Back