D90 - scratched viewfinder

Name
john Kirk
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst giving my beloved D90 a spring clean after use on hols, I have managed to put a couple of minor scratches on the viewfinder (thought it was glass but its plastic!!) By veiwfinder, I mean the bit you look thru, not the screen

Its going to annoy me every time I use the camera - can I get a replacement and can it be done at home or is it a Nikon job?

I wish it was that simple. The scratched part is the clear plastic behind the eyecup thats screwed to the camera body. Its the viewfinder window.

Depending on how badly scratched it is, if its reasonably light then a cotton bud and some T-Cut should do the job

Thanks FITP. Its quite light so Im not gonna play. I should have used a blower but didnt realise it was plastic. That`ll teach me. Just looking to see if replacement is an option/easy/cheap

No probs... I've been using it for years to remove blemishes from allsorts of things, the latest was to remove a scratch from the screen of my 4th gen iPod - took ages as it's abrasive properties are gentle, but that's a benefit imo!
It's got a gazillion cleaning & scratch removing applications - from aircraft canopies to getting rid of baked on brake dust specks off alloy wheels, etc, etc. (y)

Have a chat with your local opticians, they must have a solution to scratches if anyone does.

Realspeed

I've used Brasso & T-Cut a few times on my phone screens a long process but it works.

Good luck

Have you asked your insurance company?

Many years ago when I was still living with my parents I scratched a focussing screen for a Canon F1n. My Dad phoned his insurance company (house contents) & told them what I'd done & it was my fault etc' etc' but they said it's still accidental damage & paid out.

The other option is try Nikon or Fixation for a quote & then contact your friendly local repairer.

I had a flash repaired a couple of years ago main agent price about £100, local repairer £35.

It's worth shopping around.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Have you asked your insurance company?...
The other option is try Nikon or Fixation for a quote & then contact your friendly local repairer...

Why? It's not a fault - it's merely annoying and when the eye is close-up will be barely visible anyway.
It won't affect the end-product - the images that the camera produces...
And in any case as others have stated, it can be easily polished out...

Back