D90 to d7000 worth it?

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys
Toying with idea of 'upgrading' my d90 to a d7000 as could use the extra pixels and need some better iso for low light
Would you consider it a worthy step up or should i wait for the d400 or whatever they'll call it

D400 seems like a better step although I doubt it'll be much better than a D7k at high ISO.

12-15mp isn't really a huge leap.

For me it's more of a side step than an upgrade.

Last edited:
Would suggest you try out a D7000 in the shops, I was lucky enough to be bought one at the weekend and can't believe how good it is. I thought it would be top notch electronics in a D90 (ie cheapish) body, but having the two together I can't tell any differences between the D7000 and D300s in build quality so not sure what benefit you would get by waiting for a "D400".

From a purely statistical, numbers'n'figures point of view, it's not much of an upgrade. The ISO performance isn't a huge leap forward - it is considered by many to sit in the Nikon line-up roughly where the D90 was.

depends exactly what you want from it. In my case the 6fps, better focussing and micro focus adjust are real plus points over the D90. I doubt the better ISO and 16mp will be noticeable in real life.

Add to that you can also meter with AI lenses with it which you can't with the D90. I moved from D90 to D7000 and my D90 is now up for sale :)

From a purely statistical, numbers'n'figures point of view, it's not much of an upgrade. The ISO performance isn't a huge leap forward - it is considered by many to sit in the Nikon line-up roughly where the D90 was.

This ISO performance is phenomenally better than the D90. You can get great images from 6400! People who own D700's are saying its up to par with them.

One thing to consider is that with the FF of a D700 you will get fantastic DOF to play with... but... you will lose the extra reach of the DX format sensor.

If you always shoot low focal lengths then it wont be a problem, if you dont have TC's and fast long lenses then if you shoot long focal lengths you might miss the reach... worth considering.

D400??? Whens that out!?

Its the rumoured replacement for the D300/s. Probably out, what, Spring? next year.

Texy

Back