Daily rates

Edit My Images
No
Hi

There is a possibility that I may be offered a one-day a week job working for a high profile company.

The job would involve building up an image bank (using my own photos both past and future) for use in media (mainly web) and advertising. The job would also involve post processing in CS2 etc and organising photos

I have absolutely no idea what the going daily rate would be for this, and whether I should try and retain copyright on my images.

At the end of the day I would class this as my dream job (I can't explain why at this point however, but hopefully all will be revealed as and when things progress)

I am currently an IT contractor, and my current employers are very reasonable so would probably release me 1 day a week to do this job.

If (and it's a big if) I am offered the job, how much should I ask for?

Any other pointers?

Thanks
Ross

Assuming you are not bluffing your way in - ask them what the going rate is as you have not had previous employment in a comparable job. You have the skills and proven ability to produce in a different application blah blah blah...but want to expand in this area and would prefer some guidance on fair pricing.

They are bound to go a bit cheaper than usual but you can re negotiate once you have proved yourself.

Copyright etc. I have no idea :)

Well I am blagging it a little as I'm not a pro photographer. They realise that so I can't obviously charge pro rates but then again they don't want to pay pro prices.

tbh I would actually do it for free, purely because it's something I love - but at the end of the day love doesn't pay the rent ;)

During my time as an employer I had only one person (as far as I know :) ) bluff thier way into a job. He didn't get sacked (though I thought about it) but he didn't get trusted either.

With skilled staff I would ask what they were earning to gauge the market but then tell them the going rate that we offered. i don't see anything wrong in saying I earn x doing my normal job what is the going rate for this one?

When i'm doing interiors and stuff, the rate I'm paid works out at about 35-40 an hour. Dependant on how many shots the client buys.

It is so variable, depending on what they want the images for, what kind of stuff it is, are you going to have to be creative or is it just a case of f8 and be there etc.

As long as it's more than you'd earn in a day at your other job then it should be fine whatever really.

get the job first mate, then later when you can show what they want, negotiate more money.
i have seen so many people loose jobs because pound signs flash before their eyes, dont throw away a dream job..

Back