Damaged IPS panel

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I recently purchased a new Acer 27" IPS 2560x1440 monitor.

Unfortunately whilst I was trying to wall mount it it slipped from my wife's grasp and fell a couple of inches. As a consequence the panel is now black with two "star bursts" only on display. It has been back to the supplier who diagnosed impact damage (surprise surprise) and say that the warranty is void.

I have tried the credit card company but they do not offer accidental damage protection on purchases. I could make a claim on our contents policy but I had a major claim for a water leak last year and I am reluctant to make a further claim which could really inflate my renewal premium. In any case I have a £100 excess which hardly makes a claim really worthwhile for the amount I would receive.

It seems a shame to bin it as it is literally two weeks old. Has anyone got any bright ideas as to what else I could do?

Thanks for the first two posts. LOL.

EBay is a thought but I am not sure what to price it at. Does not seem to be many ads with broken panels - screens yes - panels no.

I was wondering about having it repaired/repairing it myself but I am having difficulty in locating replacement panels.

Buy a new panel and replace it.
Open it up find the model number or part number on the back of the panel and get googling.

I just replaced my sons broken laptop screen. Cost £50

Last edited:
Buy a new panel and replace it.
Open it up find the model number or part number on the back of the panel and get googling.

I just replaced my sons broken laptop screen. Cost £50

Thank you. I get the monitor back today so I will have a chance to see how easy it is to disassemble. So far googling IPS panel suppliers has not identified any source of replacements. Hopefully your idea of googling the part number might bear more fruit.

I have approached a local repair company who have said by the time I buy the panel and pay their labour charges it will be more expensive than buying a new one. So it is either DIY or try to cut my losses by selling on EBay.

OK Just an update. I received the monitor back yesterday so this morning i disassembled it. Easiest task in the world 10 screws and 3 ribbon cables later it was in pieces on the workbench. Total time 5 minutes.

I found the part number and first off I phoned Acer. They will sell me a replacement panel for £326!!! Bear in mind that this monitor only costs £250 to buy new. If I want Acer to repair it I pay them £37 up front which is for the return postage and an assessment fee. Then there is the charge for fixing it. Approx total cost £500.:banghead: I told their rep I could buy two new ones for this price.

So off I went to google the part number. Brand new the best price I can find was shipped from the States and with shipping and possible custom fees that was more than the Acer price. Finally I resorted to EBay. I was able to find the same size panels either second hand or refurbished(?) but these were well in excess of £120 including delivery and I do not feel inclined to take the chance at that price.

So final choice seems to be bite the bullet and pay out for a new 2560x1440, buy a new 1920x1080 (about £100 less) or make a claim on my contents insurance pay the £100 excess and pray it does not send my renewal premium through the roof next year. Decisions, decisions.

For those in a similar position in the future replacing the panel is child's play IF you can find the panel at a reasonable price.

Finally does anyone want to buy a damaged Acer monitor?:LOL:

make a claim on my contents insurance pay the £100 excess and pray it does not send my renewal premium through the roof next year. Decisions, decisions.

What decisions? You may as well cancel it altogether.

What decisions? You may as well cancel it altogether.

I am not sure what you are suggesting I should cancel. If you are suggesting I should cancel my contents insurance then I would suggest you read my first post. One claim in 12 months might not have too dramatic an effect on my premiums but two? Especially given the relatively low amount I would receive for the second claim. Claims on contents insurance affect your premiums for the next five years!

Create a picture frame with it, might look good with a nice print in

I can't recommend a way forward for you Grumps1974 ... but I will be more careful with my new ACER panel from now on :)

Decision has now been made. I have ordered a 1920x1080 as a replacement. This seems the most sensible balance to the other two 27” 1920x1080 in my set up.

OK Just an update. I received the monitor back yesterday so this morning i disassembled it. Easiest task in the world 10 screws and 3 ribbon cables later it was in pieces on the workbench. Total time 5 minutes.

I found the part number and first off I phoned Acer. They will sell me a replacement panel for £326!!! Bear in mind that this monitor only costs £250 to buy new. If I want Acer to repair it I pay them £37 up front which is for the return postage and an assessment fee. Then there is the charge for fixing it. Approx total cost £500.:banghead: I told their rep I could buy two new ones for this price.

So off I went to google the part number. Brand new the best price I can find was shipped from the States and with shipping and possible custom fees that was more than the Acer price. Finally I resorted to EBay. I was able to find the same size panels either second hand or refurbished(?) but these were well in excess of £120 including delivery and I do not feel inclined to take the chance at that price.

So final choice seems to be bite the bullet and pay out for a new 2560x1440, buy a new 1920x1080 (about £100 less) or make a claim on my contents insurance pay the £100 excess and pray it does not send my renewal premium through the roof next year. Decisions, decisions.

For those in a similar position in the future replacing the panel is child's play IF you can find the panel at a reasonable price.

Finally does anyone want to buy a damaged Acer monitor?:LOL:

Crazy. It just doesn’t encourage people to get things repaired anymore. Just more junk to landfill.

When I was growing up we had products for years and just repaired them if something went wrong. Before we left SA before coming back here, my fridge was 15 years old, my washing machine and tumble dryer were nearing 20 years, TV probably 8-10 years old.

We’ve just become a wasteful throwaway society.:grumpy:

There is no doubt we are a wasteful throwaway society as you say. But I think there is a lot of profiteering here by the manufacturers which drives it. I read somewhere that to buy all the parts of a modern car costs a lot more than twice it’s on the road sales price. I suspect the same applies pretty much everything we buy nowadays.

I read somewhere that to buy all the parts of a modern car costs a lot more than twice it’s on the road sales price.
It’ll be nearer 10x than twice you’ve only got to see how little damage a car needs to sustain to become a write off

I'm not sure I'm with this, is it the screen or the plastic frame thats damaged?

Screen or panel whatever you want to call it. Everything else is totally unmarked.

If it was just the bezel I could live with it.

Last edited:
Get a new one. Gift wrap it. Give it to mrs grumps with a label saying "happy next birthday". Then run.

It’ll be nearer 10x than twice you’ve only got to see how little damage a car needs to sustain to become a write off

I accept your point to a degree. That is because there are a lot of labour charges in repairing the damage. I was referring to the parts cost only. I had a minor shunt last year which cost £3500 in total. Less than £1000 of that was parts the rest was labour and VAT.

Whichever way you look at it the cost of purchasing parts is unreasonably high.

Last edited:
Back