Damaged lens :/

Name
Jed
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I dropped my Canon 70-200 F2.8 lens tthe other day while in my bag from a low height but it must have landed on the edge as it shattered the protective filter and wedged the lens cap on. I've managed to get it off the lens thanks to a local shop but it's damaged the actual lens. There's a small scratch (see photo) that's on the outer edge. I've started to test the lens and haven't noticed anything yet. However, I'm also worried about what impact it has on resale value. I'm not sure if it's worth putting an insurnace claim in or not... Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jed

I doubt you would see that tiny scratch in any of your images as it's probably outside the FOV. It may affect you resale value, but probably not by as much as it would cost you to rep,ace the front element.

Did you buy the lens to use it, or resell it?

I bought it second hand and it'll probably last me, although selling it on is the only way I could ever go up to a MkII. How much would this knock off the resale value?

As said it's probably out of the field of view. Test it out by putting your finger over the scratch and taking a picture. If you've got a finger in the picture then the scratch may affect iq, if not then it's plain sailing. Try it at different focal lengths etc.

Yes it'll probably affect resale to some extent so that'll have to be up to you as to whether it's worth a claim or not.

As it happens my old Nikon 35-70 has a bigger crack (yes an actual crack) in the front element on the edge and doesn't make any difference to IQ :)

I have no idea, but I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to replace the front element.

Stewart from lenses for hire may be able to give you an indication of the cost.

Last edited:
Not a very protective "protective" filter then!

Not a very protective "protective" filter then!

one reason I never use them, only time I ever had a lens damaged was when the filter broke and scratched it !

Well to be fair, the lens cap bent right in and buckled shattering the filter. I dread to think what would have happened without it!

Well to be fair, the lens cap bent right in and buckled shattering the filter. I dread to think what would have happened without it!

Probably nothing. The front lens element is far stronger than a filter is. In over 10 years Ive never even so much as scratched a lens element, and I certainly don't molly coddle my gear.

Probably nothing. The front lens element is far stronger than a filter is. In over 10 years Ive never even so much as scratched a lens element, and I certainly don't molly coddle my gear.

Indeed, bog all would have happened except there wouldn't have been any broken glass around to damage the lens. Oh the irony.

At the moment ive got a uv filter stuck on my 24-70. The filter has cracked in various places due to the pressure ive applied to it trying to get it off. As and when I get around to it its a junior hacksaw job to resolve. If I take a photo you would never know anything was amiss! I doubt very much the small mark on your lens would make any difference what so ever, just try taking a photo or two you'll soon see for yourself. Resale value will no doubt be knocked but probably by less than the cost of repair.

Hi guys, I dropped my Canon 70-200 F2.8 lens tthe other day while in my bag from a low height but it must have landed on the edge as it shattered the protective filter and wedged the lens cap on. I've managed to get it off the lens thanks to a local shop but it's damaged the actual lens. There's a small scratch (see photo) that's on the outer edge. I've started to test the lens and haven't noticed anything yet. However, I'm also worried about what impact it has on resale value. I'm not sure if it's worth putting an insurnace claim in or not... Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jed

Give it a very good try out, different focal lengths, apertures etc to see if you can detect any issues with anything.

If everything seems to working fine, then hopefully you've been lucky and I'd put up with the slight mark. If something is a miss, then it might be worth looking at your insurance, depending on the XS...

Hopefully it's okay :)

At the moment ive got a uv filter stuck on my 24-70. The filter has cracked in various places due to the pressure ive applied to it trying to get it off. As and when I get around to it its a junior hacksaw job to resolve. If I take a photo you would never know anything was amiss! I doubt very much the small mark on your lens would make any difference what so ever, just try taking a photo or two you'll soon see for yourself. Resale value will no doubt be knocked but probably by less than the cost of repair.

Have you tried wearing a pair of marigolds to help grip the filter to see if this helps it be removed ? Also you could try an elastic band round the filter ring ?

Another trick you could try as the filter is knackered anyway, hold the body of the lens and push the filter against the side wall of a car tyre and twist. It's easy to grip the lens body unlike trying to hold the edge of the filter.

I very much doubt that that scratch in that place would cause any problems at all (Except to give a potential buyer a stick to beat you down on price.)
I'd be more concerned about what other damage could have been caused internally from such an impact.
How much would it cost to send it to Canon (Or somewhere else competent.) to have it checked over?

:agree: Especially if you have insurance. You might not be penalised for claiming but it all depends on the small print.

Ive tried rubber gloves but not the car tyre, I'll give it a go later!

The scratch will have an impact on it s/h price,but if your not planing to upgrade it photo wise should be any problems :)

Back