Damaging vehicle moving out of way of emergency vehicle

IIRC, IF (deliberate U/C) plod wave at you to edge through a red light so they can get past, you'll be committing an offence by not doing so. Doesn't give you free rein to go through the junction though, just to go forward enough for them to get by.

Oh yes you are. Just like moving through a red light to let them through. You have committed an offence. You will be prosecuted. It is then up to you to prove your innocence. Plod and CPS are not interested in your side of the story, they are just meeting targets. It's up to the judge to decide if you can be let off.

Remember even emergency vehicles have to obey the law, it's just that they are given more leeway than the rest of us, but if one of them goes through a red light and causes an accident they are still liable to prosecution.

*Pedant alert*.... Apologies.

You may be.

Oh yes you are. Just like moving through a red light to let them through. You have committed an offence. You will be prosecuted.

You might have to talk your way out of it if you get caught by a speed camera but the police car going past you isn't going to stop responding to an emergency in order to give you a speeding ticket.

IIRC, IF (deliberate U/C) plod wave at you to edge through a red light so they can get past, you'll be committing an offence by not doing so.

A few years ago, a friend at work was the first in a queue at some temporary lights at roadworks showing red. A workman picked up the light and moved it about thirty feet behind him. After a while he could see that traffic coming in the other direction had stopped so he moved off. A police motorcyclist behind him stopped him and tried to argue that he had driven past a red light as the light, now behind him, was still red as he moved off.

My friend stated "I didn't go past the red light, the red light went past me!".

Steve.

Last edited:
A paramedic friend once told me that the last thing they wanted to see was brake lights. However, when you see blue lights behind you, that is what you instinctively do, even though that might cause more of an obstruction. And no one is going to be prosecuted for speeding up a bit in order to get safely out of the way somewhere more convenient.

Steve.

The reason most people do that is because they are surprised by the arrival of a generally large fluorescent vehicle with blue flashing lights "Suddenly" appearing behind them.
However "if" they used their rear view mirrors more often the majority would be seen from a fair distance away and would then have ample time to plan their action.

Not if there was a speed camera up the road though as you will still be prosecuted for speeding if caught, even when moving for an Emergency Vehicle

Oh yes you are. Just like moving through a red light to let them through. You have committed an offence. You will be prosecuted. It is then up to you to prove your innocence. Plod and CPS are not interested in your side of the story, they are just meeting targets. It's up to the judge to decide if you can be let off.

Remember even emergency vehicles have to obey the law, it's just that they are given more leeway than the rest of us, but if one of them goes through a red light and causes an accident they are still liable to prosecution.

You seem to be assuming that speeding up equates to breaking any speed limits.

You seem to be assuming that speeding up equates to breaking any speed limits.

Of course i was assuming that, hence why i said "if caught", you can't be caught for speeding if you weren't speeding in the first place ;)

I've seen many a car, move pass a red light, to let emergency vehicles thru. Technically, you're still breaking the law, as you should only do this if instructed to by the police.

To the OP, have you actually checked your car yet, you may be worrying over nothing.

The reason most people do that is because they are surprised by the arrival of a generally large fluorescent vehicle with blue flashing lights "Suddenly" appearing behind them.
However "if" they used their rear view mirrors more often the majority would be seen from a fair distance away and would then have ample time to plan their action.

Must admit, if I saw an emergency vehicle on blues & two behind me, the last thing that would occur to me would be to brake. Them going fast & me braking could only lead to problems.

I'll bump up a curb if I can see that it will help, but that will only really happen in traffic. I have a low car with low profile tyres, so any mounting of curbs is done very carefully. I'll also nudge through a red light if I know there's no camera. On country lanes if there was no convenient place to pass I'd just carry on. Unless there's someone in front of me I don't travel at a speed liable to hold most emergency service vehicles up.

Also, I make sure that if I am going to move, I indicate very early! Even if that is just to show that I am going to hug the side of the road to give them space.

I've seen many a car, move pass a red light, to let emergency vehicles thru. Technically, you're still breaking the law, as you should only do this if instructed to by the police.

Technically, yes. But you would still do it.

Steve.

Here is a thought for you. Maybe that engine wanted to use the bus lane, all free from cars, and get there faster?

Here's a thought for you, buses in the bus lane... fire engine was coming down the middle... sorry i did not point out every minute detail... Have 24 years of driving experience and it was obvious of fire vehicles intentions...

Here's a thought for you, buses in the bus lane... fire engine was coming down the middle... sorry i did not point out every minute detail... Have 24 years of driving experience and it was obvious of fire vehicles intentions...
And yet you still shouldn't do that :p

yep. i shouldn't.any other suggestion other than to stay where I was.. FFS this place is getting stupid with argumentative muppets!

Just a thought....does having many years experience of something actually make that person good at it? :p

probably more than a doddery old git with no comprehension or awareness, or a muppet of a learner with no idea how to get out of the way quick..

Said doddery old git probably thinks he's a fine driver too with his xx number of years experience. ;)

yep. i shouldn't.any other suggestion other than to stay where I was.. FFS this place is getting stupid with argumentative muppets!
Comprehension not great either. I wasn't even arguing. I was telling :p ;)

This is not a moan against police, fire, ambulance service etc.

This morning I was on a narrow 2 lane country road when a police car with blues and twos on appeared behind me, lots of oncoming traffic so the only real option I thought was to mount the nearside "pavement" to allow the car past me. I did so and a got a beep of thanks as he passed me by. Unfortunately my car had made a massive banging sound from underneath as I did the manoeuvre and mounted the verge with my nearside wheels. So my question is, I would assume people occasionally do damage their vehicles accommodating emergency vehicle scenarios, so is there a process whereby you can claim for damage if any was sustained or is it just tough luck? I imagine the emergency services would rather you get out of their way and sort you out after, rather than pootle along waiting for somewhere convenient to pull over? If its tough luck I'll think twice about pulling out of the way so quick next time.

Cheers all.

Once again this is not a rant against any service.

I've skim read the whole thread and I didn't see a mention of whether or not you called your local force to discuss the situation with them. It might be a bit late now but police forces may have discretionary funds.

My experience of this is not vehicle related, but a couple of years ago I had to hand over some equipment as part of an investigation into one of my clients. Data storage devices worth a few hundred pounds, which we would never be allowed back for legal reasons. A few days later when I spoke with the CID officer regarding the case, she mentioned that if I wrote a letter detailing any financial loss suffered as a result of our cooperation, she would be able to ensure the company was adequately compensated. I hadn't even thought to ask.

I never actually "claimed" as I felt it was just part of public service, but the opportunity was there.

Anyway, point being, the police do sometimes entertain the idea of compensating you for loss/damage, if you're helping them catch crooks. Not sure if this is the case with all police forces, but it was with my local force.

Might be worth asking anyway.

Just a thought....does having many years experience of something actually make that person good at it? :p

No. Sometimes someone's twenty years of experience is actually one year's experience, twenty times.

Are there really people here who would stay in the way of an emergency vehicle trying to get past rather than go through a red light or into a lane they are not allowed in just because in the course of normal driving, it would be illegal?

Steve.

Last edited:
Yes. Knowing many many many blue light qualified drivers, they are trained to drive around you. I would not go into a bus lane, and I would not go through a red light.

As with anything in life there maybe nuances say it there is a total gridlock and there are no cameras about and, and, and, however the default position is absolutely not. Why make it more difficult for the boy and girls doing those fantastic jobs.

I drive in bus lanes all the time when they are not in their operational hours or an all day bus lane - even passing many a bus lane camera.
After all it is allowed if you read the signs and know the times

Naturally when it is allowed and safe to do so you would, doesn't that go without saying? Now that, to me is unnecessarily arguing a point ;)

It really is a case of

View attachment 28691

Last edited:
Back