I think he's referring to the size and weight of it rather than the focal length. That's the reason I decided to wait till I could afford the 100-400 L and a 1.4 converter; they will fit in my camera bag, the 150-600 won't. Shame as it's cracking value for money. Anyway, it seems it may all be in vain as the weather has conspired to ruin our fun.
Bit of a quandary now, currently in Nottingham will still have another 1.5 hrs drive to the dam. Do I risk it certainly with the latest from the BBMF regarding predicted wind conditions, then nearly 4 hrs back to oxfordshire.or just bite the bullet and head back in the morning.
It’s a tough one. I can’t suggest either way as I’m dithering myself. I’m only 1.5hours plus traffic each way, but I could use the time much more productively if I didn’t go. But I don’t want to miss it!
Wait until the morning for an update and then decide. However it doesn't look good.
Sounds good, Will wait but depends on what time they update with regard to then finding parking place
Chance of rain now as well. Shame the weather couldn’t hold out for one more day, had a good spell for the past two weeks.
I'm still clinging to the hope that the forecast is more severe than it turns out to be. Currently not a breath of wind in mid Derbyshire.
I'm pretty much locked into my plans at this point. So at the worst I'm going to get a bloody good walk and a visit to an area I haven't since I was a small boy (have very vague memories of walking on the dry bed of Ladybower during the drought summer of 76 but don't think I've been back since). Might get some landscape shots.
Going to improve on Thursday and into the weekend, too. If it had been any other day....
Very difficult decision. If you can afford to loose a day then go for it and you may have a great result. Based on their FB posting and the latest forecast it looks unlikely it will fly.
In the words of the song... should I stay or should I go?! Does anyone know what time the Met Office update their forecasts in the morning? I was planning to set off about 6am, but I don't even know if there'll be an up to date forecast online at that time in the morning?
Never mind, this pales into total insignificance when you think of the what the flypast was to commemorate, so I don't feel in the slightest bit annoyed or disappointed about it, it's just one of those things. I'll probably give it a go in the morning and stop a couple of times on the way to check for BBMF twitter updates. I can always treat myself to a late breakfast in a café or a pub lunch on the way home as a consolation prize if we get a 'stand down'.
Had a quick check on accuweather for Conningsby predicting 22 - 23mph gusts all morning so looking dubious if its right. Think I'll call it quits and head back pity really, was looking forward to this . Not to worry there's always 5 years time.
It was quite gusty here overnight, and it's still a bit blowy at the moment. Local news just said it doesn't look good.
I'd still head over but I'm on down road so not much of a pain for me.
Nothing on their Twitter feed and some people on there seem to be getting restless wanting to know either way. To be honest, I'd expected better from the BBMF; I know they probably won't make a decision until about an hour or even 30 mins before-hand as it's entirely down to wind speed and direction, but you'd think they'd have had a Plan B that they could have announced, something along the lines of: "It's not looking good and it's going to have to be a late decision but if we can't send the Lancaster we'll send a Typhoon jet instead as we know some of you have set off the day before, etc., so it's up to you if you want to travel if you still have a choice".
Instead, we have nothing and the prospect of a wasted journey... or missing out on something if they do suddenly announce it's on or there's a Plan B. I think that's quite poor really.
Getting pretty windy in Chesterfield, and Derwent is always much worse. But I believe it's the weather at Takeoff/landing that's the issue? But yes, I would have expected more of an update from BBMF. Especially considering you can't get phone signal up at Derwent to keep updated. They've said that they are aware that some people are travelling a great distance so I'd have expected much more activity on updates. There have been rumours of them sending another plane but they've not even mentioned whether this is the case or not. As it's not too far for me I still feel like I should pop up just in case, but the prospect of heavy traffic etc and then a no show is not very appealing. If I knew that traffic would be much lighter now then I'd still go, I wonder how many are still going to make the trip?
Seems to be live updates here
BBMF have just announced on Twitter that a Typhoon will fly ‘as much of the route as possible’ instead.
Yep, just seen it's off. Now where do I stand to see the Typhoon. Seems a bit pointless going up to Derwent now and fighting potential traffic as the Dam now offers no context. I'm thinking either Curbar or Beeley but not sure if it will definitely fly past either.
I was half tempted, but, without knowing the specifics, height and speed etc. I don’t think I will spend 4 hours in the car.
It’s not a complaint, merely my own internal wrangle of indecisiveness. I think probably 20% of people won’t go now, but a lot will be committed having travelled a long way etc.
Typhoon is to replace the Lancaster :0(
Just got on the Bamford train. Due to horrendous traffic in sheffield I didn't get chance to check for updates til now. I had to run to the station when I should have had a spare hour!
Five year early recce it is then!
Never shot the Ladybower plughole before might have a go at that and hang about round there for the typhoon
I don't think you'll get to see the plughole tbh, they're not emptying at the moment as far as I'm aware.
Ha. Never rains..... lol
I’ve got 30 minutes to make my final decision......
Does anyone know what time it should be flying past chatsworth?
Direct from twitter
OC BBMF @BBMF_Spitflyer 2m2 minutes ago
@RAFBBMF are all very disappointed not to fly the Lanc today for the 75th Anniversary of the Dambusters. Happily a 29 Sqn Typhoon will cover for us - Derwent at 1205, Eyebrook at 1222. It will not cover Belper, Chatsworth or Derby owing to low flying regulations. Lest We Forget.
Glad I saw this, best head up to Derwent ASAP then.
I'm on ladybower just above snake road bridge. Figuring I'll get a good angle as it banks to the right. Dithering over which lens to use. My 70-300mm seems a bit long even at 70mm but don't trust my 17-70 sigma to focus fast enough.
Not sure how big the plane will look in front of me.
Not sure if it will help but the Typhoon is about 19ft shorter than the Lancaster (c50ft vs c69ft).
Has it been over yet?
Any location passes yet?
OC BBMF @BBMF_Spitflyer 47s47 seconds ago
I’ve just been informed that the Typhoon could not make it to the Derwent Dams due to poor weather at low level.
Sadly there will be no flypast of the Derwent dam.
Please focus on the amazing achievements and losses of the Dambusters 75 years ago tonight.
Typhoon has cancelled just now. Poor weather apparently.
Well the typhoon just flew over chatsworth
And again, not quick enough!
What a shambles this has been, so much for the low flying over Chatsworth
I don't understand it, appears it did fly over Derwent, after that tweet. I hear a noise and it came in from the east at chats worth flying west grabbed a quick shot, then a few minutes later it flys south down psst chats worth, and low, contradicting the no pass! Missed the shot 2nd time around.
What a farce. Waited around for 30ish? Minutes after the flypast time then the word went round the typhoon was cancelled. The tweet above seemed to confirm it.
I packed my camera away, got my sandwiches out, started walking back and lo and behold, the 'cancelled' typhoon flew over.
Almost all of the thousands who'd been waiting had left their positions and were on their way home.
Yes, I didn't fancy carrying it up a big hill
As it turns out the walk organiser cancelled it late last night so I have been cleaning the car ready for heading to the lakes next week and it l ooks like I didn't miss much :-(
Shame for everyone who made it though for it to end in disappointment and it appears confusion