Damned e6ay buyers!

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I sold my lens and I thought we both did acceptably well out of the deal. Then, the day after I posted it Special (actually, Anna posted it, if I am perfectly honest about it) I got a message to say he wanted to cancel because it hadn't arrived yet...for heavens sake, I know the post office are good, but less than 24 hours from the finish of the sale and he expected it delivered? I think that was a bit rich.
The lens arrived the following day, so I got another message to say he was happy with the lens and would keep it. Hooray.

That euphoria didn't last for long - the next day I another message to say that he wanted to return it because the autofocus didn't work. I only ever used it in manual mode, so it was switched to manual only. Guess what, when he switched it to Auto/manual it worked perfectly. Finally I got a message to say he was happy with it and was going to keep it - FOUR messages later it was mind.

I can do without that kind of stress at my age! I suppose it is just a sign of the times and peoples' expectations, always expecting other people to be dishonest. This world is becoming paranoid. Why can't people just be honourable and honest anymore? I don't like the way world is going.

It's the charges that are the killer on ebay for me, especially on high value items, like when I sold my D3. Gumtree is free, but does not seem to get nearly as much traffic. Not as well known I guess. Gumtree is also owned by ebay, so is it really competition? I have a couple of nice lenses to sell soon, anyone got any better suggestions where to list them?

It's the charges that are the killer on ebay for me, especially on high value items, like when I sold my D3. Gumtree is free, but does not seem to get nearly as much traffic. Not as well known I guess. Gumtree is also owned by ebay, so is it really competition? I have a couple of nice lenses to sell soon, anyone got any better suggestions where to list them?

Once a month eBay usually do some sort of seller deal where you are guaranteed to pay a maximum of just a few quid fees. Therefore I'd suggest that you create your listing ready, then only sell once a deal comes along. Check your spam email folder for the deals :)

I sold my 5D2 & 135L [plus other bits] through buy/sell Facebook groups. Yes, you do have to deal with the odd 50% offer etc but I've never had any trouble with it.

I generally use Amazon Marketplace. The charges are even higher but there are a lot less time wasters. For me it's worth the difference as I don't have a lot of time in the first place.

I use eBay a lot, both to buy and sell personnel items and as part of my liverlyhood, and I still think it's the best platform out there for these types of buying and selling. The balance eBay sets between buyer and sellers vary but it's always been in the favor of the buyer. There dose seem to be a rise in bad buyers such as not paying for items, changing there mind items lost in the post. You can protect yourself against many of the problems and you have to factor the other issues into pricing, my international shipping rates include a small amount for the higher ratio of items that go missing in transit for example.

The main reason for using eBay is that things sell and there I feel you have the biggest range of items to buy, I have never failed to sell anything on eBay and have been using it for at least 10 years. As for the fees discussion, it's cheaper than convential auction houses and I go back to me previous point items sell.

I,m another fan of e.bay only ever had one problem and that was with a 99p filter that claimed non delivery .even though he was re-selling it himself .since then everything I post is signed for even 99p crap .
As for foreign sales I now specify e.bays global delivery system where you post it to a u.k depot and they deal with everything from then on with updates on delivery etc so you can't really get scammed as its out of your control and up to them to ensure its correct .works really well and increases sales as it opens up the market place

I,m another fan of e.bay only ever had one problem and that was with a 99p filter that claimed non delivery .even though he was re-selling it himself .since then everything I post is signed for even 99p crap .
As for foreign sales I now specify e.bays global delivery system where you post it to a u.k depot and they deal with everything from then on with updates on delivery etc so you can't really get scammed as its out of your control and up to them to ensure its correct .works really well and increases sales as it opens up the market place
The global seller program on is no grantee I have had items not arrive when using this and eBay still did not take any responsibility.

I sold my lens and I thought we both did acceptably well out of the deal. Then, the day after I posted it Special (actually, Anna posted it, if I am perfectly honest about it) I got a message to say he wanted to cancel because it hadn't arrived yet...for heavens sake, I know the post office are good, but less than 24 hours from the finish of the sale and he expected it delivered? I think that was a bit rich.
The lens arrived the following day, so I got another message to say he was happy with the lens and would keep it. Hooray.

That euphoria didn't last for long - the next day I another message to say that he wanted to return it because the autofocus didn't work. I only ever used it in manual mode, so it was switched to manual only. Guess what, when he switched it to Auto/manual it worked perfectly. Finally I got a message to say he was happy with it and was going to keep it - FOUR messages later it was mind.

I can do without that kind of stress at my age! I suppose it is just a sign of the times and peoples' expectations, always expecting other people to be dishonest. This world is becoming paranoid. Why can't people just be honourable and honest anymore? I don't like the way world is going.
Been using eBay for many years, I've had 2 or 3 experiences like that but 98.9 % of the time I've had no problems, it's very annoying but don't let that cloud the mostly honest people

Last edited:
it is just a sign of the times and peoples' expectations,
Don't relax yet. I bet he as also bought (from ebay) one of those focus checker things and like most of the guys on this site seem to do, he will spend the next two weeks testing the fu** out of it checking for for back focussing.

Last edited:
Once a month eBay usually do some sort of seller deal where you are guaranteed to pay a maximum of just a few quid fees. Therefore I'd suggest that you create your listing ready, then only sell once a deal comes along. Check your spam email folder for the deals :)

I had a new offer from eBay this week, sell for a fixed fee of £1, including final value fee.

Sold my 100D for £285, true to their word only £1 fee paid :D. eBay is definitely becoming relevant to sell on again, just so long as the offers keep arriving ;).

Here

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html#13c

eBay Money Back Guarantee

Most eBay sales go smoothly, but if there's a problem with a purchase, the eBay Money Back Guarantee helps buyers and sellers communicate and resolve issues. You agree to comply with the policy and permit us to make a final decision on any eBay Money Back Guarantee case.

If you (as seller), choose to reimburse a buyer, or are required to reimburse a buyer or eBay under the eBay Money Back Guarantee, you authorize eBay to request that PayPal remove the reimbursement amount (in same or other currency) from your PayPal account, place the amount on your invoice, and/or charge your payment method on file. If we cannot get reimbursement from you, we may collect the outstanding sums using other collection mechanisms, including retaining collection agencies.

We may suspend the eBay Money Back Guarantee in whole or in part without notice if we suspect abuse or interference with the proper working of the policy.

I use eBay, Amazon Gumtree and here to buy and sell. You need to be a bit careful on the big selling sites but generally I think buying and selling is ok. I find people on eBay are starting to make more of an effort to accurately detail an item, and if they don't, I ignore their listing. Buying on Amazon I find I have more trouble with their delivery drivers than the items.

I agree the world is paranoid, but it is all full of scammers too. I only buy from ebayers that accept returns and for more expensive items, where they have put effort into showing me exactly what I'm buying.

Selling on Gumtree, I've learned to not meet any buyers at my house, just not worth it. There are plenty of public places to meet that don't risk your other belongings that aren't for sale.

TP of course is the ideal place to trade (y) fee free and dealing exclusively with genuine honest peeps :naughty:

I once sold something on that auction site and the buyer claimed he never received it so i had no choice but veto refund him the money to get my PayPal ban lifted, that will teach me for not sending hot recorded delivery.

I had a new offer from eBay this week, sell for a fixed fee of £1, including final value fee.

Sold my 100D for £285, true to their word only £1 fee paid :D. eBay is definitely becoming relevant to sell on again, just so long as the offers keep arriving ;).

Me too :) I listed £1500 worth of stuff :D

Selling on Gumtree, I've learned to not meet any buyers at my house, just not worth it. There are plenty of public places to meet that don't risk your other belongings that aren't for sale.
What have you experienced?

What have you experienced?

I had one guy round who clearly wasn't interested in my 30D when i sold it, had no clue about cameras but was very interested in my drone and TV, so that put me off selling from my home in future. Then I had to sell from home earlier this year, had 200 roof tiles out the front of my house. The guy turned up an hour early, didn't knock on the door and started loading them up. I went out to see him and he was surprised to see me. He said he would have just put the money through the letterbox, which he may have, but I would have never known.

I think it's just easier to meet somewhere neutral and public to trade with people you don't know anything about.

I once sold something on that auction site and the buyer claimed he never received it so i had no choice but veto refund him the money to get my PayPal ban lifted, that will teach me for not sending hot recorded delivery.
You should always send with tracking, they can't claim then unfortunately there's always those that will claim it's never arrived and eBay can't back you up but they do advise how to ship items.

Last edited:

Where would they make that offer? If you don't mind me asking?

I had one guy round who clearly wasn't interested in my 30D when i sold it, had no clue about cameras but was very interested in my drone and TV, so that put me off selling from my home in future. Then I had to sell from home earlier this year, had 200 roof tiles out the front of my house. The guy turned up an hour early, didn't knock on the door and started loading them up. I went out to see him and he was surprised to see me. He said he would have just put the money through the letterbox, which he may have, but I would have never known.

I think it's just easier to meet somewhere neutral and public to trade with people you don't know anything about.

I agree with this, I have sold a couple of things recently on Gumtree and don't really like people coming to the house. I have a storage unit at Big Yellow and tend to meet them there. Last time someone came to my house to pick something up he seemed to be more interested in looking over my shoulder at the other things in the house.

I sell all my DVDs on Ebay but would never sell anything high value simply because of the number of scammers on there.

Anything photographic I always buy or sell on here simply because I trust the people here.

Mind you I do buy on ebay and on Amazon because they are so biased towards the buyers I know that if there is any problems I will always get my money back.

Which is of course what empowers the eBay scammers.

Where would they make that offer? If you don't mind me asking?

They arrive by email, but there's also a page on eBay you can check iirc.

This is the page where I can see all the current promotional offers eBay have made.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sl/sell?sr=wnstart

Looks like this:

IMG_5019.png

The terms say:
eBay.co.uk registered private sellers who have been invited to participate by email and are not below-standard sellers or otherwise restricted from selling. Participation is linked to the invited seller's account and is not transferable. To take part in this promotion, sellers must be registered as resident in the UK.

Last edited:
I sell all my DVDs on Ebay but would never sell anything high value simply because of the number of scammers on there.

Anything photographic I always buy or sell on here simply because I trust the people here.

Mind you I do buy on ebay and on Amazon because they are so biased towards the buyers I know that if there is any problems I will always get my money back.

Which is of course what empowers the eBay scammers.
How true that is , as a seller you can't even leave negative feedback , have to so careful , it is a small minority but have to be aware

My friend sold a lens on eBay last year. The buyer dropped it a few days after receiving it, claimed it was posted like that and recieved a full refund from eBay. My mate was left with a completely broken lens and nothing show for it.

Since then I've only bought stuff from there. Wouldn't risk selling on there.

Back