Dance Sisters and a pullback

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
Been awhile - been home to Canada, business trips to Italy, and life in general. Today I had a couple of dance sisters come round. Such pretty girls, would have been difficult to have messed it up I think as they are so completely photogenic it's amazing. It's a great little gig getting into the Dance Mom's group.

Anyway, here's a few from today and a pullback. It's a simple lighting setup using a big Octa with grids and from time to time, a bit of separation from another smaller square, also gridded, reflector used when needed (not used in the pullback).

Always open to feedback and crit. Thanks for looking!

B

Sisters by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Sitting Pretty by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Pullback by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

:clap:

In particular, #2 is I think the very first time I've seen anybody get away with that pose or a variant of it, and #4 is just a totally gorgeous portrait. Anybody who witters about claw hands or the flyaway curls has no soul. They normally matter but here they simply don't.

Bloody excellent stuff that's all about the subjects, not the snapper.

PS Good luck with the dance moms. Been there, done that, seen the catfights ... :cool:

Last edited:
"Cracking" set of images Bethy, I like them all very much including the pullback.(y)

George.

Wow. Bethy these are so good. Love, love, love seeing your stuff. It has such a great look about it.

Also, don't think I knew you were Candian, ey! Noo doot aboot it!

Go Flyers!

I could see no 4 being used as an advert for a clothes shop. Nice set.

Amazing shots Bethy, can't pick a favourite I love them all.

Thank you Ian. I'm pretty happy with them and am looking forward to going through them all and seeing what else we managed to capture. :)

:clap:

In particular, #2 is I think the very first time I've seen anybody get away with that pose or a variant of it, and #4 is just a totally gorgeous portrait. Anybody who witters about claw hands or the flyaway curls has no soul. They normally matter but here they simply don't.

Bloody excellent stuff that's all about the subjects, not the snapper.

PS Good luck with the dance moms. Been there, done that, seen the catfights ... :cool:

Lol! Thanks Dan. The blue nailpolish was a bit off-putting but there wasn't a lot I could do about it. Thanks for the compliments on the photos! And thanks for the 'luck' message on the Dance Mom's thing.. you comment made me chuckle out loud! :)

I'm loving these a lot Bethy!

Thanks Graham. You've been doing some great stuff lately yourself!!

"Cracking" set of images Bethy, I like them all very much including the pullback.(y)

George.

Thanks George. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. :)

Wow. Bethy these are so good. Love, love, love seeing your stuff. It has such a great look about it.

Also, don't think I knew you were Candian, ey! Noo doot aboot it!

Go Flyers!

Aye... 100% Canadian, been living here since 2002. And it's a misconception that Canadians say it 'aboot'... it's actually the Americans that really say it that way. :)
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciate. :)

Fab photos. Thanks for behind the scenes too :)

Gaz

Cheers Gary. I try to remember to take at least one BTS shot now, if anything just to keep a reminder of how I set something up. :)

I could see no 4 being used as an advert for a clothes shop. Nice set.

Thanks Lawrie. I thought that too! :)

Thanks everyone for your kind words and feedback. Always appreciated! :)

I waver between commenting and not commenting on your pics as repetition tends to get dull. I mean how many times do you want to hear me say "stunning set" [emoji6]

On a personal preference note, do you have number 4 a few seconds after/before with some direct eye contact - I love it as is but just curious!

S x

I waver between commenting and not commenting on your pics as repetition tends to get dull. I mean how many times do you want to hear me say "stunning set" [emoji6]

On a personal preference note, do you have number 4 a few seconds after/before with some direct eye contact - I love it as is but just curious!

S x
Cheers dude.

And yes, I did take a few, except I missed the focus on the ones that I really liked so they're in my bin box .. boo. But I do have this one, different angle on the dangle...

Mollie by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Tech Q: Are (some of) these shot with just the modelling light? Or is the blur due to processing rather than shallow DoF?
The processing is a curves thing, which doesn't contribute to any blur, it just removes the blackest of the black from the blacks (more or less). I shot some of these at 1.6 on my 50mm... (find it difficult to nail 1.4, unless I take a zillion shots and hope for the best lol). Even then my success rate isn't the best, regretfully. The large octa did have grids on it, plus an extra 'sock' over the quadra head so I could shoot as shallow as I could.

Brilliant shots Bethy, some photography has that certain look/feel that makes me feel 'uplifted' (closest word my small vocabulary could find!!), and these certainly fit that category!
May i ask what colour background paper/cloth you used for these?

Beautiful models as you say, very photogenic, you have captured them really well, beautiful. Liking the pull back shot, you make it look so simple Bethy, always love your posts.

Brilliant shots Bethy, some photography has that certain look/feel that makes me feel 'uplifted' (closest word my small vocabulary could find!!), and these certainly fit that category!
May i ask what colour background paper/cloth you used for these?

Thanks Carl. Really kind of you to say!
This particular background is a Colorama Charcoal Grey paper seamless. :)

Beautiful models as you say, very photogenic, you have captured them really well, beautiful. Liking the pull back shot, you make it look so simple Bethy, always love your posts.
Thanks Jan. :)

Back