Dancer in the shadows

Wow, only looking on my phone but they look superb. Fantastic work.

Stunning - really powerful images No 3 and the last are my favorite would be great hung on the wall

Wow, only looking on my phone but they look superb. Fantastic work.

These are the best I've seen of your dancer aeries.

Fantastic.

The second is my favourite. Drama...

Excellent work my fave's 5 & 6, like the detail in these.

Stunning - really powerful images No 3 and the last are my favorite would be great hung on the wall

An exceptional set of images - I like all of them !
James

Great shots, all of them.

Thank you everyone for looking and commenting!! Your appreciation is appreciated! :)

:) Cheers Matt, it's very satisfying to know that! Thanks.

Last edited:
Absolutely love these. You know I am partial to a bit of dance photography and I know what you mean when you say my dancer could have hit a 'stronger' pose. I have some more lined up and hope they can be as good as these.

Really very nice work, mate. Love the last two aerial shots, but they're all nicely done.

Absolutely love these. You know I am partial to a bit of dance photography and I know what you mean when you say my dancer could have hit a 'stronger' pose. I have some more lined up and hope they can be as good as these.

Thanks Gaz, looking forward to seeing yours when you get them up :)

What flash are you using (speedlites or strobes). They all seemed to have stopped the motion really well. My studio heads would have had blur on quite a few of these.

I really want to try some of the new IGBT flashes for teh really fast t0.5 times.

What flash are you using (speedlites or strobes). They all seemed to have stopped the motion really well. My studio heads would have had blur on quite a few of these.

I really want to try some of the new IGBT flashes for teh really fast t0.5 times.
Hi Ben, these were lit with with Elinchrom BXri heads. For fast stuff, I use the Quadra Ranger 'A' heads but this movement wasn't so fast.

wow...totally blown away by these....really beautiful and graceful yet showing the power and strength of the dancer at the same time. Great lighting and pin sharp. Wonderful stuff.

It's on my 'bucket list' to take a set of a dancer in a studio, and this is really aspirational stuff for me. If I could capture a fraction of what you have achieved I think I would be happy.

wow...totally blown away by these....really beautiful and graceful yet showing the power and strength of the dancer at the same time. Great lighting and pin sharp. Wonderful stuff.

It's on my 'bucket list' to take a set of a dancer in a studio, and this is really aspirational stuff for me. If I could capture a fraction of what you have achieved I think I would be happy.
That's very kind of you to say so Steve. I can recommend working with dancers, particularly professionals like Victoria who although, recently retired, was at the top of her game. It's very rewarding! :)

Very striking and captured images, my personal preference is for the white leotard as it provides a little more contrast.
The muscle definition is great.

Wow. Sometimes you open a thread in here and your jaw drops
This is one of these
Love the posing, lighting and processing
Just gobsmackingly good
:clap:

Very striking and captured images, my personal preference is for the white leotard as it provides a little more contrast.
The muscle definition is great.
Cheers Mike! :)

Wow. Sometimes you open a thread in here and your jaw drops
This is one of these
Love the posing, lighting and processing
Just gobsmackingly good
:clap:
Many thanks Bruce, there are more coming! :)

You definitely got me thinking hard on the subject of lighting techniques. I have little if any experience with flash work and never used a strobe. I was thinking about adding another 600rt flash to my kit (making 2) but I am not sure if that would be as useful as a portable strobe. I have been shooting for almost two years now and have learned to visualize my shots but not a clue as to how to visualize a shadow. That being said, I will be checking out your fantastic use of light in hopes that I can get a grasp on how this works. Guess it's time to hit the books again....

You definitely got me thinking hard on the subject of lighting techniques. I have little if any experience with flash work and never used a strobe. I was thinking about adding another 600rt flash to my kit (making 2) but I am not sure if that would be as useful as a portable strobe. I have been shooting for almost two years now and have learned to visualize my shots but not a clue as to how to visualize a shadow. That being said, I will be checking out your fantastic use of light in hopes that I can get a grasp on how this works. Guess it's time to hit the books again....

Hi Shane, I try and keep it simple. I don't get over technical with ratios and stuff. I see it as being like making a cup of coffee, if it's too dark, I had more milk! If you are in the studio (or any shooting space for that matter) and you set 1/125sec @ f9, shoot a frame without lights and you get a black screen, that's your 'blank canvas'. Now you can add light where you want it. Have fun!

Drew,
those are good - really good - effective use of light and shadows. You've posted in the critique section and I'm not sure you've had anything suggesting improvements - and I know I can't. They are really good (oh - I said that already!!!).
If you'll take a critique - it's that we'd all love for you to share some tips regarding lighting. :D

So take my fave - the last one:
I think you have two lights
one to the right your main (key) light (at about the dancer's level)
the second to the left, but from the shadow it was quite high and just out of camera shot

Am I right?

P.S. Really good ;)

Drew,
those are good - really good - effective use of light and shadows. You've posted in the critique section and I'm not sure you've had anything suggesting improvements - and I know I can't. They are really good (oh - I said that already!!!).
If you'll take a critique - it's that we'd all love for you to share some tips regarding lighting. :D

So take my fave - the last one:
I think you have two lights
one to the right your main (key) light (at about the dancer's level)
the second to the left, but from the shadow it was quite high and just out of camera shot

Am I right?

P.S. Really good ;)

Thanks Brian, your comments are very much appreciated :)

Are you right?! Sort of! What I would class as my key light (rightly or wrongly) is camera left, quite high and this is almost directly facing her, angled down and a little towards me, just off centre, to feather the light and soften it. This had a 70cm Octabox with an internal baffle to soften the light further. The second light is from a smaller (60cm) sofbox without the diffuser and pulled back a bit using the fall off to get an effect I was happy with. All I'm looking for is a variation between the two lights to add another bit of interest to the shot. The rest is down to Victoria who delivers every time!

Back