Dark cloth recommendations

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been out with the LF outfit today and although my T shirt dark cloth functions ok ish, I feel it's time to invest in a purpose focusing cloth.

There looks to be a few different versions available, some on the bay that tbh come across as a bit takcky, the linhof site has a paramo and a Harrison, both of which sound decent.

Not being able to see them in person makes a decision difficult........what do you guys recommend?

Get one with an elasticated end that you can stretch over the back of the camera. I have a large thick Linhof cloth which is just a large thick square of fabric with weights in the corners that weighs more than my camera! It works well but if there's a breeze it flaps about and becomes a pain. I also find it often slips off the back of the camera or moves forwards and covers the lens.

if there's a breeze it flaps about and becomes a pain. I also find it often slips off the back of the camera or moves forwards and covers the lens.

These are exactly the issues that I wish to try and avoid.

Some of these darkcloths are a tad costly, however I don't mind if it works efficiently but I don't want to fork out for something that is going to work little better than my current T shirt method.

I just use a length of black velvet doubled over and bulldog clipped to any protruding part of the back

I had a proper dark cloth and hated it, i much prefer the t-shirt solution suggested by @Woodsy if you wanted to make it a little more secure you could always put some velcro tabs on the t-shirt and camera.

I've got a Paramo, and on the basis of my experience, I'd recommend it. Apart from how it can clip to the camera by way of the press studs, those same press studs can clip together to hold it round my neck (and serve as a mini rain cape :D). Until I tried this, I hadn't realised how much trouble it was to carry a normal dark cloth over shoulder/arm etc. and struggle to prevent it slipping off.

These are exactly the issues that I wish to try and avoid.

Some of these darkcloths are a tad costly, however I don't mind if it works efficiently but I don't want to fork out for something that is going to work little better than my current T shirt method.

Asha when you are next in Nice find a good curtain/upholstery shop (around the back streets as their overheads will be lower) and ask them to show you their colour black, black out material,if you like it then ask if they have any off cuts for cheap money.

Last edited:
I had a proper dark cloth and hated it, i much prefer the t-shirt solution suggested by @Woodsy if you wanted to make it a little more secure you could always put some velcro tabs on the t-shirt and camera.

I've never actually owned a proper dark cloth. I forget where I originally got the idea of the t-shirt from; possibly Gandhi a good old while ago. But yes, the addition of some velcro would make it perfect imo.

Last edited:
I did start drawing up some ideas for a hoody with an integrated tube-style dark cloth after the Peaks meet but haven't don't anything more with it yet. My idea was basically an extended hood so you can wear the hoody for warmth then just pull the snood type hood with an elasticated front edge over your head and around the back of the camera. I also thought about a clip on hood that can be attached to whatever top you're wearing at the time. Maybe that should be my next project :0)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dwv613345iqyeg/Slide2.JPG?dl=0

Batman cape? Just make sure the ears don't cast a shadow in the picture and you're good to go...

You laugh but mine, which is far too big, goes to the back of my calves and I'm over six foot. I've considered waterproofing it and using it as Victorian style weather protection!

@Asha I use one very similar to this but as above its for 8x10 and far too big. The 4x5 would probably be fine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Focus...r-Linhof-Toyo-Hasselblad-Studio-/112234754472

Last edited:
You laugh but mine, which is far too big, goes to the back of my calves and I'm over six foot. I've considered waterproofing it and using it as Victorian style weather protection!

@Asha I use one very similar to this but as above its for 8x10 and far too big. The 4x5 would probably be fine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Focus...r-Linhof-Toyo-Hasselblad-Studio-/112234754472

That looks ideal tbh

Even though its designed for 5x7 and 10 x 8 , does the elastic closure fit snugly enough on the rear standard of 4x5 to keep light entry to a minimum?

Here's mine....:)

Superman by Andy, on Flickr

I think it was from Calumet.

That looks ideal tbh

Even though its designed for 5x7 and 10 x 8 , does the elastic closure fit snugly enough on the rear standard of 4x5 to keep light entry to a minimum?
It's a triffle lose, I glued in more velcro to make it a bit tighter and it still tends to go over the standard rather than just on the top.

Get a waterproof jacket that has the elastic cinches around the waist and put that end around the rear standard. You can then use the hood and main zipper to adjust how near/far you want to be to the ground glass. Inexpensive, waterproof, windproof, and lightweight.

However, I do use a BlackJacket Hybrid which is basically a more purpose built version of the above. On the higher end of the price scale if you're importing it from the US though.

Last edited:
Back