Dark prints

carmot

Suspended / Banned
Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi new to printing using a pro 300 with a asus pa278qv monitor but the photos look dark watch YouTube and download a test picture but still seems dark any advise thanks

Hi

The most common reason for a print to to come out darker than that you see on your monitor screen....................is that the monitor is set too bright.

FWIW I do my phot editing is very subdued lighting and my screen is set at 90cd/m2 brightness. This I do by calibrating my monitor ;)

However, some 'by eye' setting can be aided using the tools at this website http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

HTH :)

PS you might find this one of interest/useful? https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

Last edited:
The most common reason for a print to to come out darker than that you see on your monitor screen....................is that the monitor is set too bright.
This. Call up your on-screen controls and set it to about 50% brightness as a starting point ...

Dunno? I have the same printer used with an Imac printing via photoshop. I was amazed when it printed perfect right out of the box.

I agree that a bright monitor is perhaps the most likely issue but make sure you are not double profiling too. Double profiling is where the software and the printer aren't set up to complement each other. Either the printer should be managing colour or the software, not both.

Also prints are a different medium that rely on the light that is shining off them. Try and find somewhere to look at the prints that is neutral and you can make the same judgement at different times of the day etc.

I use Lightroom Classic for initial import/edits, and I have a calibration strip embedded as the identity plate.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 9.04.48 AM.png

If I cannot differentiate the two brightest white squares then my monitor is set too bright, if I cannot just make out the difference between the dark squares in the top row my monitor is too dark, and if I loose any of the graduated squares then the gamma has shifted badly.

This is the calibration strip at the correct size... be sure to keep it in png format if you want to use it.
TestStrip2.png

Back