Darkroom printing; delving in

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
We’ve recently moved house and I have an internal utility room with no window that would make a perfect darkroom for doing black and white printing. I’ve got none of the kit yet but am starting to look at acquiring it all.

I’m doing my research and I’m happy with most of the equipment and techniques needed for black and white printing, but the main thing I’m getting a little lost with is the enlarger. So many of them on eBay are quite old and I don’t really know what I’m looking at. Lenses? Size?

It would only be for 35mm and I can’t see myself doing medium format anytime soon, as much as I’d love to.

Tell me what I need to know!?

:thinking:

We have the go ahead to move house now (job safe thank goodness) so I'll be looking to get a darkroom space. Watching the thread with interest.

I realise that was perhaps a little broad of a question.

Am I safest going for a well known make like Durst? I only want to do B&W initially, can I do that with a colour head for future proofing in case I do want to do colour in the future?

We’ve recently moved house and I have an internal utility room with no window that would make a perfect darkroom for doing black and white printing. I’ve got none of the kit yet but am starting to look at acquiring it all.

I’m doing my research and I’m happy with most of the equipment and techniques needed for black and white printing, but the main thing I’m getting a little lost with is the enlarger. So many of them on eBay are quite old and I don’t really know what I’m looking at. Lenses? Size?

It would only be for 35mm and I can’t see myself doing medium format anytime soon, as much as I’d love to.

Tell me what I need to know!?

:thinking:
Welcome to the "doing it in the dark" hands-on side of F&C Craig, and here are a few thoughts for you.

First is to always search locally for what's available, especially Gumtree and possibly Freecycle and suchlike, since the ability to pick up will give you far more gear for your money. This also applies to searching "nearest first" on eBay, since this will tell you how far away the seller is and you can decide whether the deal is worth the fuel cost.

Second would be to go for an MF enlarger as a hedge against the future, if all else is equal. A good deal with a 35mm enlarger is fine though.

Third is that chemicals are likely to be done unless the packaging is intact, and likewise with any paper that's thrown in. The reason for that is that you won't want to be put off by poor results from old paper and chemicals when just starting out.

I made a commitment to myself (and a couple of others) to get my darkroom back into use after a break of about 12 or 13 years, and it finally happened only last night. I also have the advantage of a utility room where the washing machine and tumble dryer sit, but that's quite a luxury compared to some. Phone shots of set-up and first 2 prints below. :)

20200116_093224_resized-tp.jpg

20200116_093317_resized-tp.jpg

If you buy anything with a colour head or a cold light head you should check the availability of spares, expecially bulbs. Durst is probably a safe bet but if you're not going to do colour something that uses a common bulb is your safest option. If you have any intentions towards larger film sizes it's worth looking out for one of the "compact" 5x4 enlargers. In enlargers, mass is important to avoid wasting paper due to head movement. I used an Omega Prolab 5x4 for years and it doesn't take up that much more room than one of the better amateur models (the fetching wallpaper is entirely optional)

Omega Prolab 45 enlarger and Nova processor.jpg...

That's great @Peter B, thanks for the info.

Well done on getting your darkroom up and running! Great timing, it looks like there are a few of us who will be doing this for the first time (or at least, first time in a long time) in the next couple of months! The prints look good, is that 8x10?

That's great @Peter B, thanks for the info.

Well done on getting your darkroom up and running! Great timing, it looks like there are a few of us who will be doing this for the first time (or at least, first time in a long time) in the next couple of months! The prints look good, is that 8x10?
Thanks. They are indeed 8x10, but there are a couple of half-torrn sheets behind them that I tried first before going fullsize. I also had the big advantage of the RH Designs Analyser on the right, which is almost like cheating as it works everything out for you. ;) I was pleasantly surprised that everything worked when plugged in, but had lost the lens mount at some point and had to get a new one. Luckily, Meopta spares can be had quite readily from the original seller. (y)

I think rather than buying a specific make / model, it's possibly more important to make sure you buy one that has everything you need included and that everything works. Often, the lens boards, transformers, neg carriers & inserts etc cost more than the enlarger itself so an ebay bargain can quickly get expensive. Have a look in any local classifieds or gumtree too, you often get more for your money if you're able to collect & may get a quick demonstation too.

I think rather than buying a specific make / model, it's possibly more important to make sure you buy one that has everything you need included and that everything works. Often, the lens boards, transformers, neg carriers & inserts etc cost more than the enlarger itself so an ebay bargain can quickly get expensive. Have a look in any local classifieds or gumtree too, you often get more for your money if you're able to collect & may get a quick demonstation too.
I'd echo knowing everything is there and working - I bought an enlarger off eBay just this week (pics in the New toy film related thread). I'd looked for a good few weeks and didn't really know what I was doing - a lot of the enlagers had brief descriptions and I wasn't sure all the bits were there. The one I bought was meticulously described and photographed and obviously owned by a keen film user - that's what convinced me. As it happens a couple of folk on this forum thought it was a good one.

Before anyone gets carried away in a wave of enthusiasm, I've been there and got the T shirt. At the age of 15 I had a darkroom in the loft of my parents house, a Gnome Beta II enlarger (with home-made cardboard negative holder as the original carrier wasn't with the enlarger, what could I expect for £8 even in those days?!), a red pygmy light bulb screwed into a lamp holder mounted on the ridge beam of the loft and controlled by a lamp switch on the cable within reach of the table I was working from, and three small cat-litter trays for developer, stop and fixer.

A proper darkroom! However, the practicality of lugging chemicals and water up a stepladder into the loft, and safely disposing of the waste later (without spilling anything on the carpets - which would have been an instant red card offence!) afterwards, the fact the temperature was only right about twice a year up there (freeze or roast the rest of the time), added to the diminishing novelty factor (I could have been out and about taking photos instead of all that, or chatting girls up!), any apparent photographic benefit soon vanished.

All these decades later I may possibly weaken to the extent that I might develop my own black and white films again... but a darkroom, with all that entails, no thanks, I'd rather buy a better film scanner! Best of luck to those that want to try the experience... and remember, even after all these years, counting 'bloody seconds' sounds a lot cooler than counting 'elephants'. ;)

a Gnome Beta II enlarger (with home-made cardboard negative holder as the original carrier wasn't with the enlarger, what could I expect for £8 even in those days?!)

I've got a feeling I've got that model, complete with several home made cardboard carriers for a similar reason

A proper darkroom! However, the practicality of lugging chemicals and water up a stepladder into the loft, and safely disposing of the waste later (without spilling anything on the carpets - which would have been an instant red card offence!) afterwards, the fact the temperature was only right about twice a year up there (freeze or roast the rest of the time), added to the diminishing novelty factor (I could have been out and about taking photos instead of all that, or chatting girls up!), any apparent photographic benefit soon vanished.

Thats sounding woefully familiar as well... luckily my wonderful wife (she might read this) helped me organise our spare room so I had some space for that... my only complaint is the lack of running water, but I'm three steps from the bathroom so I can manage.

All these decades later I may possibly weaken to the extent that I might develop my own black and white films again...
Yes I might go that far but safelights and enlargers and pieces of wet paper? No; Nyet, Nein!

Oh no, I'm going to have to drag my Durst out now. What have you all done!

I think I still have all the bits and hopefully they'll all work. An internal shower/utility room is a bonus too.

I found a few boxes of Ilford Multigrade paper the other day, however they must be over 20 years old. :oops: :$

Oh no, I'm going to have to drag my Durst out now. What have you all done!

I think I still have all the bits and hopefully they'll all work. An internal shower/utility room is a bonus too.

I found a few boxes of Ilford Multigrade paper the other day, however they must be over 20 years old. :oops: :$
Wouldn't worry, mines about that age and its giving me decent results

I am surprised that no one has mentioned it:
"The darkroom handbook"
by Michael John Langford
ISBN: 9780852231883
Contains just about all you might want to ask, and a lot more you probably wished you didn't about setting up a home darkroom, processing, making prints and other manipulations like tinting and toning and even air-brushing, I think. A very comprehensive tome, and well worth a look even if you never play with an enlarger.

Back