Darkroom printing

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I have developed my own negatives for some time in a dark bag but now looking to print too. Long term plans are probably to convert a room in the house but in the first instance I have booked a refresher training day locally which I am rather looking forward to. I haven’t been in a darkroom for some time so I am sure I need it but once I have done the refresher there is possibility to hire the darkroom by the hour thereafter.

So, the purpose of the thread is to ask who here prints their own? Any tips or pointers? Websites or resources for me to swot up before I start? Paper and/or chemical recommendations? Long term I need to provide all my own consumables although first day is included. The owner of the darkroom seems to favour a Ilford who I already use for negative chems.

Mark

Last edited:
I recently tried darkroom printing after a gap of maybe 12 years, and would strongly suggest taking the "easy" route to getting acceptable results. This would be by using Ilford chemicals and RC Multigrade paper as they are the industry standard that most darkroom workers will have used at some point, so will be able to offer the benefits of their experience. Once you get further into it, by all means experiment, but I'd just pay really close attention on your refresher day and then seek to repeat that on your own with the same materials. There are quite a lot of darkroom books out there at reasonable prices nowadays, but I'd ask your tutor for recommendations in the first place. And enjoy the day!

https://petapixel.com/2018/03/06/make-bw-photo-print-darkroom-7-minute-crash-course/

Last edited:
I print my own B/W

I think, no matter what, printing is a voyage of discovery, best understood by practice and more specific questioning.
Its a good idea to run with a refresher course if only to cover the basics of theory and function, its a long drop jumping in if you don't know your focus finder from your test strip.
After that its all about time spent on the pitch.
Whilst you can get a bit of an eye in renting DR time, its not easy to hold continuity when you're constantly fighting the clock.
I mean, you're always fighting the clock even in your own DR unless you're retired with nothin else to do, I'm not retired and I can't do sod all in less than half a day...lol

:)

Thanks both. I got the impression that Ilford are the favourites and fortunately there is a shop in Folkestone stocks everything.

It’s his own private darkroom - purpose built cabin in the garden - rather than a commercial operation so hopefully he will be fairly flexible on time. I guess how often I use it will determine if I go to the expense of setting something up at home.

I think the last time I really used a darkroom was at school thirty five + years ago!

Mark

Back