Darkroom Prints...

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

toying with the idea of investing in some darkroom stuff and making my own prints - partially, just to learn about the whole process. Thing is; I don't actually know why else? :wacky: I am going to end up scanning the prints in as i do my negatives now anyway... Do you only do the frames you think are winners?

So, essentially - why do you / have you made prints of your negs on a consistent basis?

Yes, basically contact print a roll of film and then choose which one I want to print, or scan the roll and then choose.
I have just started making prints myself and I love it, in fact just finished some 12 x 16 prints and they are drying now, 3 of them are spoken for, Ill keep one and then I'll see about the last one.

Mart

I contact print or scan the roll and evaluate any potential prints. Then I only print those.

Much as the convenience of Digitising your prints is nice, sometimes it's nice to have a print up on the wall and know that you have made every decision in it's making or that it has remained completely analogue.

i print my own so that i can look at them without turning on a computer ,and its easier to hang a frame on the wall than it is a screen . and i think you would get better results scanning from a neg than a print

i print my own so that i can look at them without turning on a computer ,and its easier to hang a frame on the wall than it is a screen . and i think you would get better results scanning from a neg than a print

+1

I'd love to get some of my negs printed up, but have nowhere to do them! This one in particular: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bombsandmonitors/6170405664/in/set-72157627722461896

I'd only print the cream of the crop (not many then haha), but it'd be a nice source of pride to have a photo of mine on the wall :)

You could try Photofusion in Brixton (not too far from you) or Four Corners up in Bethnal Green.

Used to use Four Corners Darkroom for over a year - Dave Than there is a top guy, very helpful and knowledgeable about the whole print process. Edit: they provide all the chemicals - all you need to do is turn up with your film (processed or not) and some paper. It is very satisfying to have taken a pic, developed it and then enlarged it. :)

Last edited:
Cibachrome or Ilfochrome, both sadly discontinued

I found this out after aksing the question in this thread, it has made me sad as I have some slides I would love to print the traditional way. Who knows, it might have a revival.

On a side not, should be booking myself onto a course at four corners to learn the process of B&W printing :D

I found this out after aksing the question in this thread, it has made me sad as I have some slides I would love to print the traditional way. Who knows, it might have a revival.

On a side not, should be booking myself onto a course at four corners to learn the process of B&W printing :D

Have fun and say hi to Dave if he's still around!

It's an incredibly complex subject, and it's probably best to start off gently producing some B&W prints - you'll soon find out how hard it is just to do that, get that understood, colour printing will be more understandable (not least how much more complex it is!).

As a point of information, slide films are "positive" (not negative), and as such need totally different colour printing paper from that used to print colour negatives (C41) - which is again very different from B&W printing paper

For someone wanting to "dip a toe in the water", you can probably pick up a whole simple enlarger and kit at a boot fair for a few quid - buy some new paper and chemicals, black out the bathroom or the understairs cupboard, and away ye go (it's how I learnt!)

Last edited:
Damnit Youtube - I'm really itching to buy the kit to do this.

In relative opinions could wet printing work out cheaper than a decent A3 BW printer + inks? in the long run. #howlongisapieceofstring

Yes

6x6 enlargers are quite cheap, paper isnt "cheap" but it's not prohibitively expensive, just depends what size you want to print at, at the time. The chemicals for a big printing session are quite cheap, i've managed 20 odd 8x10s from a 1.5L batch of chemicals.

Depends how much you want to fine tune as well - you could easily spend all day dodging, burning and split grade printing one single negative if you really wanted to.

Largest i would probably print in any real frequency is 16"-20" square but more regularly smaller than that; anything larger probably go to a lab? Just need to do research into what enlarger's are suitable etc now. Any recommendations for brands etc? Also notice, you can get different focal length lenses?

Last edited:
Largest i would probably print in any real frequency is 16"-20" square but more regularly smaller than that; anything larger probably go to a lab? Just need to do research into what enlarger's are suitable etc now. Any recommendations for brands etc? Also notice, you can get different focal length lenses?

The different focal lengths are for different formats, for 6x6 i think you need a 75 or 80mm lens (i use 80mm for 6x7 and have no vignetting)

Brands: Durst have a pretty solid reputation as do LPL. I use a Durst M670 which prints up to 6x7cm negatives, it's not missed a trick as far as i'm concerned. Make sure you look at multigrade or colour heads (for contrast adjustments)

You will probably spend more on a decent easel capable of 16x20 printing (probably a 20x24 size easel) than you will on the rest of the darkroom equipment. A decent easel is as important as a decent lens in my experience.

You will probably spend more on a decent easel capable of 16x20 printing (probably a 20x24 size easel) than you will on the rest of the darkroom equipment. A decent easel is as important as a decent lens in my experience.

Another bit of good advice (y)

Why are decent easels so expensive?

Surely their only purpose is holding paper flat in place....so no complicated mechanics or anything.

I don't understand how I can buy a great quality second hand enlarger with a good lens on ebay for less than the price of an easel....makes no sense to me.

Tell me about it, I'm looking for a 20 x 24 easel and I'm not spending a grand on one.
Might have to make a vucuum mount instead.

Mart

Why are decent easels so expensive?

Surely their only purpose is holding paper flat in place....so no complicated mechanics or anything.

I don't understand how I can buy a great quality second hand enlarger with a good lens on ebay for less than the price of an easel....makes no sense to me.

The easels deal with cropping and forming borders too, many of them have 4 movable blades to work from many sizes of paper.

Tell me about it, I'm looking for a 20 x 24 easel and I'm not spending a grand on one.
Might have to make a vacuum mount instead.

Mart

It is some how easier to use an easel.
There was a time when I would need to make several hundred enlargements a day, some times singles and some time multiples of the same negative.

A decent frame serves many purposes.
  • It provides a standard sized border on a set of prints
  • It aids composition.
  • it aids the making of non standard sizes
  • It provides a accurate fixed position when making multiple prints.
  • It provides a flat positionable surface.
  • It speeds up the whole process.

Many, even expensive frames, are inaccurate and out of square, Only very few allow the Blades to be re-trued.

Thousands of professional frames have been thrown away. There must be thousands more looking for a good home.

Some of the best large frames include a vacuum surface. others use a semi-adhesive surface.

The reasons for a decent easel have pretty much been covered. Trust me, buy cheap buy twice. I can't stress how infuriating it is when you can't get square edges or straight edges.

They don't have to cost thousands though. I got a massive RRB easel from Ebay for less than £100 and it is a quality piece of kit.

i dont use an easel ,,,but then not having borders dosen't bother me

Back