Darley Moor - Saturday

Name
Richard Glover
Edit My Images
Yes
I popped to Darley for a couple of hours to test out a new (to me) lens that i'd taken a gamble on. I've always lusted after a Nikkor 300mm f2.8 AF-S but its beyond my meagre wages. An ex-rental (the first AF-S, non VR version) came up at a price I could afford. It has light scratches and a couple of small 'dinks' to the front element but I thought i'd give it a try after a good cleanup to see if I needed to spend the £400 to replace the front element or get away with it.

Not much verity as the CF card decided to give me the dreaded 'error code 36', most of the shots taken are corrupted - Duracell Pro 32GB (another gamble purchase) now stored in the bin.

overall I came away very happy with it, consistancy was much better than the Sigma 300mm I had been using, but its a much larger heavier lens so using hand held for a weekend i'll either need to hit the gym or start using the monopod (monopod it is then :LOL: ). Even with the TC1.7 there was no noticeable affect on focus speed or quality).

I think i'm going to leave the lens as is for now, just replace the old filter for a new B+W UV and think about replacing the front element if it does become noticeable.

RAB0715-L.jpg

RAB9436-L.jpg

RAB9824-L.jpg

RAB9665-L.jpg

RAB9929-L.jpg

RAB9420-L.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice set I would be happy with them ...... More than happy

Thanks very much Kevstar.

It's a shame you couldnt make it Graham, though I was only able to go for a couple of hours on my way to work on the Saturday.
Hopefully we'll get to say hello next season. I've not been able to get out much this year due to working most weekends. Gutted I've only managed 1 practice day at BSB (Friday at Donington). Sadly I wont be at Brands as I'm at Cadwell this weekend for my final meeting of the year :beer:

Quality set there, love the last shot myself, looks like you have some quality glass there.

Back