Darlington Station

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I can't decide between a few different ways to process my HDR of Darlington station, so I thought I'd ask on here. If you don't like any of them, say so, and why if possible.
img69353.jpg

img69352.jpg

img69351.jpg

I also had one of those moments where I wish I could have picked a bloke up and removed him from my shot. Just as the train came in, he decided to walk straight through my photo (sadly unaware I was doing one) even though he wasn't catching the service. A tad annoying.

img6948v.jpg

I may return to reshoot #4 if anyone thinks it's worth it, at least I get free travel to Darlington station.

For info, all of these shots were taken handheld with Canon 450D + Sigma 10-20 DX.

Like the pictures very much.

Just did a quick edit - hope that's ok?

Not a problem mate, got my thing set to 'editing ok'. Like the B&W conversion, I'm not very well versed in using it, and I was very tired when I finished the HDRs.

For me #2 has more depth in so far as it immediately draws me in along the line.

No2 stands out for me although No1 aint bad either, maybe a little more contrast for me.

Regarding No4 i wouldnt worry about the guy. Its a good shot

Dave

would say the bloke in the shot has added due to carrying the yellow bag, this ties in providing a three of yellows balancing the shot.

it also provides some movement to a shot that would of been quite still so adding to the transport theme. like it

As promised, here's the other shots I took at darlington in my 40 minute wait between trains
img6888e.jpg

img6892c.jpg

img6895a.jpg

img6899q.jpg

img6906f.jpg

All C&C welcome, only #8 is an HDR this time around

love them all, what i want to know is how the heck did you get away with shooting there i got stopped the last time i tried. great station to shoot i have to say. another thing when where these taken?

These were taken at 14:00 on Wed just gone (24th March). Sadly there's lots of this 'you can't photograph' this stupidity throughout the railway. That said, nobody bothered me, and we saw plenty of staff. I even had the cheek to push the cleaners trolley out of my reflection! There is no railway byelaw prohibiting the photography of a railway station, but quite often staff will state 'it's against the rules'. Just point out that it is for personal use, and so long as you're on a quick visit, they can't really ask much of you. It's the first time I've ever got off at the station, and I must say I'm very impressed with it.

#4 in the first set is a real eye catcher....i know the place well and wouldn't have seen that one! Well done! and the other shots are great too.

Cheers everyone. And to Dave, I've found that after shooting with the wide Siggy for a while, you actually develop a 10-20 brain and eyesight connection that allows you to hunt out these things that you'd normally just pass by oblivious. When I stopped to shoot it I even said 'this will be perfect for my 10-20'. I'll christen it the ultrawide cortex

Wow, some very beautiful shots - and you will never believe how special one particular one really is...

Shot number 6 is me and my son - you managed to record our VERY first meeting in 13 years. Very emotional it was, too, and a very wonderful moment. Can't believe my random Googling brought me here!

Just as an aside, I worked at the station at the time. We are more than happy for people to photograph anything. Only things we ask are understandable, really:
1) No flash towards the drivers - for safety.
2) Please allow us to ask who you are - for everyone's security (though we are all very good at reading body language and assessing potential risks)
3) Please, do not photograph the staff without asking - for our own safety and personal security and it's an invasion of our privacy. Remember, we are people, at work, not props - but we're flattered if you do ask us!

Cheers!

I'm not a fan of hdr but these i like. No2 for me. (y)

1 and two work with 2 been the best IMO you could make it pop a little more with slective sharpening.
Question were you allowed tripod use doing these

Sorry folks, hadn't noticed the massive bump and what a story for photo number 6!

To answer, I asked first and did get to use my tripod for the photos.

Awesome story for number 6.

3 is my fave, has a weird eerie empty feeling and it looks gret

Last edited:
What a fantastic series, I really enjoyed looking and will no doubt return to this thread. Great story about the lad and his Dad too.:clap:

Darlo is one clean station:D

I will also say that, speaking as a railway lover, those are beautiful shots.

I want to try and do the same thing with my local station, but Folkestone Central isn't that attractive. :LOL:

Some nice shots there, mumrar... and what an amazing story regarding the reunion of father and son in #6

Wow, some very beautiful shots - and you will never believe how special one particular one really is...

Shot number 6 is me and my son - you managed to record our VERY first meeting in 13 years. Very emotional it was, too, and a very wonderful moment. Can't believe my random Googling brought me here!

I've go to ask, what words did you Google to bring you here to find that photo :D ("Me and my son" :thinking:!?). Who cares - great story (y)!

As for the photos, I can't help but be distracted by that sign (or trolley?) in the centre of the first pictures. They eye is lead along the line of the rails, into the distance, but just before the 'vanishing point' is this annoying little rectangle.

Pity, as the shots would have a more 'timeless' feel without it there, I think.

PP-wise, they're all good :shrug:.

Wow, ah brilliant ...congratulations then. (y)

Back