Darn had an accident with my Siggy 70-200

Name
terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Out last night and tripped over some rocks I was scrambling over and gave my Sigma 70-200 and nasty whack. Ended up with a crack on the top of the lens front element, the glass is ok no marks on the front element. Given a service and calibration at Sigma will be £122:bang: I thought I would get an opinion from the TP toggers! I am not a pixel peeper normally but given my accident with the lens I would appreciate any thoughts on the test photo below.

This is how I tested Camera 30D set with single focus point focusued on the 0 on 60mm tripod mounted with hotshoe level I used mirror lock up as well with the timer function. No PP applied shot in Raw and exported to my Phototbucket account.
Shot @ F2.8 1/400s ISO 100 200mm I think the picture below looks ok and I intend to shot some real world pictures this weekend. PS Its a Siggy 70-200 ex HSM MK1 lens

I have compared to my Siggy 24-60 at F2.8 which was sent back to Sigma for front focus and is now super sharp at F2.8 and it looks ok just want a second opinion before I decide to dip my hand in my pocket and send off to Sigma

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/treacle111/Sigma70-200untouched.png

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

My garden furnitures rain cover, guess it blew up when taking this test shot

I would get the lens repaired regardless tbh. I think the repair estimate is pretty reasonable too.

if it was a substantial whack id send it off, there could be underlaying issues that might raise their head X days/weeks/months down the line.

couldnt agree more, get it checked, you dont want it to fail when you need it most.

apparently sigma test the lens at 2.8m @70mm and 8m @200mm. tested with a scale @ 30 degrees. icant remember the margin of error the deem acceptable but i think its 3-5mm from the focus point on the scale.

Back