Dartford Warbler

Edit My Images
No
This one was a long way off so I had to use a 2x converter and also crop aggressively but as this is the first Dartford I have ever seen let alone snapped I was well pleased. Thanks for looking.
7D + 300/2.8 + 2x tc

dw3.jpg

Last edited:
What a beautiful red eye they have. Lovely shot too BTW.

Lucky bugger for seeing one .... and cracking shot considering it is not ideally lit (y)

Very acceptable shot Roy, a wise man told me not to look for a DW but to look for a Stonechat and a DW would be nearby. He was bang on, and thats the method i use.

Not just luck Martyn ;) I visited the vicinity a dozen times and spent countless hours before finally seeing it.
Thanks for the comment.

I gathered that .... you lucky bugger :D

Last time I went in search of them I think that they all donned disguises :D

Very acceptable shot Roy, a wise man told me not to look for a DW but to look for a Stonechat and a DW would be nearby. He was bang on, and thats the method i use.
There is some truth in this Brian, the site where I got this shot has also got several pairs of Stonechat's. Having said that I know of lots of Stonechat places where there are not any Dartford's (Stonechat's are very numerous in my neck of the woods but DW are rare).

Last edited:

yes I have also heard this, it is a good tip, it's not worked for me yet on my local patch,but I have not given up hope.

I'd be chuffed with that. Stunning bird in a nice setting. (y)

Beezer(y)(y)(y)(y). If that's taken with a 2x and a heavy crop, I'm selling all my gear and taking up crochet. Lovely detail, I feel sick.

Beezer(y)(y)(y)(y). If that's taken with a 2x and a heavy crop, I'm selling all my gear and taking up crochet. Lovely detail, I feel sick.
:LOL :LOL: Better get your crocheting needles out, mind you the 300/2.8 probably takes a 2x tc better than any other lens that Canon makes.
Thanks for the comment (y)

Bloody marvellous. Never even seen one, more's the pity.
I've been very impressed recently with Targetman's shots with this combo.
The 2x Canon TC is usually dissed as ruining the IQ of a decent telephoto but the recent posts seem to give the lie to that - or maybe the 300 2.8 is a special case?
Anyway, much enjoyed your shot. Now...
I could afford a 2xTC, I wonder what I need to sell to afford a 300 f/2.8... er, lots.

Bloody marvellous. Never even seen one, more's the pity.
I've been very impressed recently with Targetman's shots with this combo.
The 2x Canon TC is usually dissed as ruining the IQ of a decent telephoto but the recent posts seem to give the lie to that - or maybe the 300 2.8 is a special case?
Anyway, much enjoyed your shot. Now...
I could afford a 2xTC, I wonder what I need to sell to afford a 300 f/2.8... er, lots.
Thanks for the comment Colin, I think the 300/2.8 is a special case when it comes to using a 2x tc. I even have some good shots with stacked 2x and 1.4tc (840mm f8) but you need good light and a sturdy tripod/head when shooting with this combo.

Last edited:
Back