Dartmoor Critique

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys,

Been out with the camera a bit more recently and was hoping for some feedback as the channels I have to share them get little to no attention!

Apologies in advance for the watermarks, I can't get the originals at the moment and wanted to get them up whilst I remembered!

I've chosen a few of them, the rest can be found on my Facebook page, would be greatly appreciated if I could have some feedback on my recent material :)

https://www.facebook.com/KhanmeisterPhotography

Thanks everyone :)

If you really want critique your best bet is to post just one photo and ask for it(In fact this is mentioned in some guide somewhere or other here Im sure but I cant find it).
I suspect most people will see 6 or 7 images and think "I'm not writing about all that lot" and move to the next thread. Sorry.

I'd pick the #2 one here as your best one.

Apologies for posting more than one picture, guess I was hoping for a general critique on style etc rather than in depth on one!

If anyone else does reply though, will be a bonus!

Thanks for your input also :)

Hi There,
#2 and #4 are nice contrasty images,
#1 I'm foundering a bit on this, i guess the point of focus is the road. I think you need some drama in the clouds, Maybe ND Grad or something! not really doing it for me.
#2 My eye is drawn to the yellow flowers and theres a little blowing out above them i guess the sun hitting the shot there, i think i might take that area down a little otherwise nice exposure.
#3 Interesting tree, looks better when viewed full size, wonder what colour version looks like, additional interest in sky maybe, blue in reservoir perhaps, think i may have offset tree more.
#4 Overall the best image nicely exposed, nice contrast, Like this one.
#5 and 6 I think your trying to draw attention to the interesting root structures, but the depth of field is way to shallow for me in both. Look at the near foreground and follow it back the area in focus is very shallow.

The watermarks like you say are very distracting like you say...

You might find it of interest to poke around and look up hyperfocal distance.... and have a play with depth of field
Have Fun
Cheers Steve

Hi There,
#2 and #4 are nice contrasty images,
#1 I'm foundering a bit on this, i guess the point of focus is the road. I think you need some drama in the clouds, Maybe ND Grad or something! not really doing it for me.
#2 My eye is drawn to the yellow flowers and theres a little blowing out above them i guess the sun hitting the shot there, i think i might take that area down a little otherwise nice exposure.
#3 Interesting tree, looks better when viewed full size, wonder what colour version looks like, additional interest in sky maybe, blue in reservoir perhaps, think i may have offset tree more.
#4 Overall the best image nicely exposed, nice contrast, Like this one.
#5 and 6 I think your trying to draw attention to the interesting root structures, but the depth of field is way to shallow for me in both. Look at the near foreground and follow it back the area in focus is very shallow.

The watermarks like you say are very distracting like you say...

You might find it of interest to poke around and look up hyperfocal distance.... and have a play with depth of field
Have Fun
Cheers Steve

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with you about the depth of field, but at the same time I wanted to show the pathway as I liked how the rest of the roots were, not just focussing on a couple.

Obviously I like them all, but the road one (Don't know if it's because I'm a car freak) I just like because you can see it run off into the distance. I was playing with a more moody sky but I thought it made it slightly artificial!

Colour version of the tree I haven't finished editing yet, but may well do that :)

Also, the overexposure with the 2nd one was really hard to avoid. That picture was taken spur of the moment on the way back when it was still pretty light and to get the water effect I had to overexpose :( Totally agree though, that bit is annoying

Last edited:
No problem James, I like to give critique because it's a learning game! Way I look at it is makes me really look at the photograph and more importantly look at my own harder.
Thing is the picture is in the eye of the beholder and you took the shots of what you like the look of, end of story, critique in my view can only be another persons take on it, another persons interpretation of the image.
For me I'd use hyperfocal focusing then pretty much everything would be in focus, all the roots, trees etc off into infinity, BUT that's just my take on it!

Would have been nice to have had a Veyron just coming round the bend in the distance;).

Hhuuummmm! you always get that bright spot just where you don't want it, i guess the longer exposure didn't help. I'd probably put a brush over it in LR and drop the exposure a bit on that spot.

Please don't think I'm criticising only trying to be positive. It's only really nit picking isn't it at the end of the day.

Nice work, have a great weekend
Steve

Classic Dartmoor. This set gives just the right context for the area especially the B & W images.

No problem James, I like to give critique because it's a learning game! Way I look at it is makes me really look at the photograph and more importantly look at my own harder.
Thing is the picture is in the eye of the beholder and you took the shots of what you like the look of, end of story, critique in my view can only be another persons take on it, another persons interpretation of the image.
For me I'd use hyperfocal focusing then pretty much everything would be in focus, all the roots, trees etc off into infinity, BUT that's just my take on it!

Would have been nice to have had a Veyron just coming round the bend in the distance;).

Hhuuummmm! you always get that bright spot just where you don't want it, i guess the longer exposure didn't help. I'd probably put a brush over it in LR and drop the exposure a bit on that spot.

Please don't think I'm criticising only trying to be positive. It's only really nit picking isn't it at the end of the day.

Nice work, have a great weekend
Steve

Hahah, a nice car would have been ideal! The Vauxhall that came around the corner though I don't think would have given the same effect :p

I did try and brush over that bright spot but just made it look a bit grey and dull, will give it another go at some point but will definitely take on board what you have said! :)

Classic Dartmoor. This set gives just the right context for the area especially the B & W images.

Thanks a lot! :)

Back