Dartmoor Milky Way

Name
Alex Nail
Edit My Images
Yes
First off I regretably don't find much time to post to forums so if you;re interested in my work please head over to my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Alex.Nail.Photography

dartmoor-milky-way.jpg

In the summer the Milky Way rises a little bit higher into the southern and eastern sky as seen from Dartmoor allowing a brief window of opportunity to look towards the centre of the galaxy, as seen to the right of this image. The light polution from Plymouth and Princetown isn't ideal, but it does help to reveal one of the most striking silhouettes to be found on Dartmoor. This was taken during a 'wild' camp on Staple Tor on a warm but windy evening. The blue in the sky to the right of the image continued through the night as the sun moved below the horizon. This image was taken at just a few minutes after midnight. The smudge you see to the left is the Andromeda Galaxy and the section of Milky Way shown is (approximately) from Cassiopeia on the left to Sagitarius on the far right. This is without a shadow of a doubt the best night I have ever spent on Dartmoor!

This is 3x 16mm shots with a 16-35 f2.8L at f2.8, ISO3200 and 30 seconds. Stitched in PTGui with light pollution reduced in Lightroom.

Thanks for posting a very interesting and informative shot.

I'm fascinated with the milky way and considering a 6d just for the high iso for shots like this, love it :)

Superb image Alex. The silhouette of the rocks and the gradient of tones is spot on. I like the use of the panoramic crop adds to it as well. This really is one of the best night shots I've seen.

Brilliant image Alex, Love the light filling on the horizan.

First off I regretably don't find much time to post to forums so if you;re interested in my work please head over to my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Alex.Nail.Photography

dartmoor-milky-way.jpg

In the summer the Milky Way rises a little bit higher into the southern and eastern sky as seen from Dartmoor allowing a brief window of opportunity to look towards the centre of the galaxy, as seen to the right of this image. The light polution from Plymouth and Princetown isn't ideal, but it does help to reveal one of the most striking silhouettes to be found on Dartmoor. This was taken during a 'wild' camp on Staple Tor on a warm but windy evening. The blue in the sky to the right of the image continued through the night as the sun moved below the horizon. This image was taken at just a few minutes after midnight. The smudge you see to the left is the Andromeda Galaxy and the section of Milky Way shown is (approximately) from Cassiopeia on the left to Sagitarius on the far right. This is without a shadow of a doubt the best night I have ever spent on Dartmoor!

This is 3x 16mm shots with a 16-35 f2.8L at f2.8, ISO3200 and 30 seconds. Stitched in PTGui with light pollution reduced in Lightroom.

Super shot, beautifully framed and perfectly processed - WB is spot on, something I often have trouble with on the rare occasion I try something like this.

Absolutely brilliant....and I think in this case the light pollution add rather than detracts.

Outstanding image and write up.

Thank you for sharing this!

Great stuff! A friend and I are intending on hitting Dartmoor for a camp out for some photography... will add Staple Tor to the list of places we must consider!

Fantastic image!

Brilliant image and I personally really like the light pollution. The bit just the right of the stones I really really like.

Great shot Alex, and has already been said thanks for including some informative and technical details. Its not very often we get to see some written details. Thank you.

Gorgeous shot, thanks for posting and for all the info you've already provided.

I hope you don't mind me asking though, how have you managed to stitch together 3 shots of sky and foreground bearing in mind the movement of the stars over the 90 seconds?

Back