Dartmoor Tors

Name
Pete Johns
Edit My Images
Yes
Holwell Tor, near to Hayor, in between rain showers.

Same Tor again but from the other side, this time at sunrise. I decided the b&w conversion worked on both of these shots.

Hound Tor with Haytor in the background. Hound Tor is absolutely massive so this is one of the smaller rocks to the side.

Bowerman's Nose at sunset. One of my few photography trips where I've experienced great light! Taken a few hours after the shot above, walking between the two.

The rainbow appeared in the wrong place so the pano is too wide, but it was a rainbow and I was going to shoot it!

And another

This was taken from just outside of my hometown of Exmouth with a long lens when the entire river Exe valley was plunged into the mist. I've lived here for over 30 years and have never seen this view before or since! This is looking at Haytor.

I love all the images but like the black and white images most, for me they show the ruggedness of the landscape, colour just seems to soften them.:clap::clap::clap:

Nice collection of images from the Haytor area and good variety.
Really, really like the last one, wonderful conditions, is that taken from up on Woodbury Common?

I really like the Holwell Tor shots (I call this rock Saddle Tor but I think I'm wrong!) - I find it a really frutrating location as there are so many potential compositions that just don't quite work. I really like your second one - the crop works really well. I also find Boweman's nose really hard to do well! Really difficult to separate it from the background - your first one works really well and the light is sublime. Looks like you lost the best of the light by the third one.

I really like the Holwell Tor shots (I call this rock Saddle Tor but I think I'm wrong!)

You are not alone, many mistakenly refer to it as Saddle Tor (myself included) but the real Saddle Tor is to the south of Haytor.

You are not alone, many mistakenly refer to it as Saddle Tor (myself included) but the real Saddle Tor is to the south of Haytor.

South west, with Holwell to the north west. Saddle Tor is the one beside the road like Hay Tor with a 'saddle' between the two. Holwell is a walk round the railway and has another quarry and another workers' village site - and a beehive hut tool cache.
I was once on Saddle Tor and found myself looking down on a fast jet over the col..............
Love the last one. I was instantly reminded of once out flying with the mist lying in the valleys and Dartmoor rising from it. Just one of those magical moments you never forget.

Nice collection of images from the Haytor area and good variety.
Really, really like the last one, wonderful conditions, is that taken from up on Woodbury Common?
Thanks for the comments all. I'm always confused by Howell/ saddle tor so I just guess :)

Yes the last one was from Woodbury common, the little carpark opposite Woodbury castle. It's quite the view, and was unreal on that morning.

The light and sky in 4 is superb but unfortunately the composition doesn't lead you into anything, looks a difficult place to shoot. Number 2 is my pick as the composition works well, but have you cropped out that wispy sky? If so worth a re-edit

The light and sky in 4 is superb but unfortunately, the composition doesn't lead you into anything, looks a difficult place to shoot. Number 2 is my pick as the composition works well, but have you cropped out that wispy sky? If so worth a re-edit
Yeah #4 was quite tricky, it's a stunning view but I'm not sure I got the best of the location despite the great light.

I'll take another look at #2 as well, good point about the sky. Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed how tight it was but now that's all I can see.

Last edited:
All fabulous shots - love them! The black and white conversions are superb - lovely blacks which I like to see (what software do you use for the conversion?). ......If I have a favourite, I think it has to be number 4 - the Bowerman's Nose - the lighting is to' die for' and I love the warmth. .....Inspirational work, Pete (y):love:

All fabulous shots - love them! The black and white conversions are superb - lovely blacks which I like to see (what software do you use for the conversion?). ......If I have a favourite, I think it has to be number 4 - the Bowerman's Nose - the lighting is to' die for' and I love the warmth. .....Inspirational work, Pete (y):love:
Thank you! I use Lightroom for initial tweaks and panoramic conversion for #2, and then SilverEffects Pro2 for the conversion. The software is part of the Nik collection, which was free a few years back but doesn't appear to be now.

Interesting the different thoughts about shot 4 :)

2nd and last are the outstanding shots for me. :)

Thank you! I use Lightroom for initial tweaks and panoramic conversion for #2, and then SilverEffects Pro2 for the conversion. The software is part of the Nik collection, which was free a few years back but doesn't appear to be now.

Interesting the different thoughts about shot 4 :)

Thanks for getting back to me (which I've only just seen). I have the Nik collection too, though don't use it very much ...I should use it more often, especially Silver Efex Pro, which I do really like. I didn't know the collection was no longer free, so I'm glad I downloaded it when I did! ....Anyway, the results of your black and white inspire me to use it a bit more :giggle:

Thanks for getting back to me (which I've only just seen). I have the Nik collection too, though don't use it very much ...I should use it more often, especially Silver Efex Pro, which I do really like. I didn't know the collection was no longer free, so I'm glad I downloaded it when I did! ....Anyway, the results of your black and white inspire me to use it a bit more :giggle:
Haha, I'm pleased to have inspired you! I originally dismissed Silver Effects Pro but it actually does pretty good conversions, though it's easy to over-process. It also puts a heavy film grain on images by default, which you can reduce if you go down through all the sliders and find the right one!

Back