Dartmoor Yesterday

Number 2 work for me as well

No1 from a fine set for me,the glimpse of rusty machinery certainly adds to very interesting scene....Good stuff!

1 and 2 for me Wayne
Really like the details in No1 the old winch and the log (I think its a log) in the water. This looks like a location ripe for some exploring, I think there should be some more good shots to come out of there...
No2 Nice gritty texture in this shot, nicely processed.
Nice Set(y)

Edit... A bit of googley research, looks like that gap in the rocks looks like it lies roughly ENE so might be a good sunrise location too?

Last edited:
......the old winch and the log (I think its a log) in the water

It's a jib from a crane, which is what the winch is for too. The last stone was quarried in 1919 but I think operations had effectively ceased before the turn of the century (20th, that is). Quarrying started in 1819 and a lot of the granite went to London. I have a photo in a book, probably taken in the 1950s, which appears to show a couple of jibs lying on the ground next to the winch.

The quarry isn't an easy location to get a good photo of. I have loads taken over many years and none of them come close to Wayne's.
I like the mono of Hound Tor but do you have one that shows the 'hounds'? With that sky it would be even better.

It's a jib from a crane, which is what the winch is for too. The last stone was quarried in 1919 but I think operations had effectively ceased before the turn of the century (20th, that is). Quarrying started in 1819 and a lot of the granite went to London. I have a photo in a book, probably taken in the 1950s, which appears to show a couple of jibs lying on the ground next to the winch.

The quarry isn't an easy location to get a good photo of. I have loads taken over many years and none of them come close to Wayne's.
I like the mono of Hound Tor but do you have one that shows the 'hounds'? With that sky it would be even better.

That's Great Jan thanks, I did wonder if it was something like that as it looks a heck of a bit of timber! I find these places very interesting in there own right. I went to Beer Quarry Caves in Devon a couple of weeks ago they quarried the Beer Stone underground for the cathedrals for hundreds of years. They used similar crane jibs there so we were told.
Yes some locations look great don't they but for all the amount of planning you do off site, you can never imagine what the reality is when you get to the location.
I have had several locations I have pounded in the desperate hope that one day I will get the "Right" shot out of them.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Haytor Quarry is a nice place but it does get a bit overrun, particularly on a nice day at this time of the year. There were a few people in there and there was a lady sat on a rock to the left of this shot bang in the way of the normal shot. I was in Foggintor Quarry yesterday, somewhere I'm much more familiar with.

Hound Tor was crawling with people and school kids that's why I've only got a shot from here. I took a couple of the medieval village too which I kinda like but are not that good so haven't shared them.

Last edited:
The first two are spectacular - great stuff.

I used to live just north of Tedburn St Mary so it was a short drive to get on to the wild part of the moor. There's always something to photograph there. These are old stuff using film...

16295290829_f48ba4a622_b.jpg

15858792554_9c339bbe09_b.jpg

16571245257_99dd14849d_b.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Haytor Quarry is a nice place but it does get a bit overrun, particularly on a nice day at this time of the year. There were a few people in there and there was a lady sat on a rock to the left of this shot bang in the way of the normal shot. I was in Foggintor Quarry yesterday, somewhere I'm much more familiar with.

Hound Tor was crawling with people and school kids that's why I've only got a shot from here. I took a couple of the medieval village too which I kinda like but are not that good so haven't shared them.

I used to sort of live at Haytor. Now I only go there midweek in the winter...............

Love number 2, and 1 has some great interest, but number three just seems a bit dull for my liking, and a tad over exposed? Of course that's not to say it's a bad shot, just a case of difference in personal taste I guess.
#2 is the winner!

Back