South-West England Dartmoor ?

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Going to Cornwall in a few weeks which I know pretty well - would like to drive through Dartmoor on the way down - can anyone point out the best places to get some quick shots/best views ?

Wont have loads of time though

thanks

Start at Chagford for 'pretty village' shots then use the B3212 from there to head into Plymouth taking in Warren House, Postbridge, Princetown (prison) etc.

Stop off along the way wherever the fancy takes you. When you get to Yelverton you can either carry on or head for the River Tavy and follow that down. Once in Plymouth you should know the way.

Bovey Tracey then up to Haytor, Widecombe, turn right just outside the village and up the steep hill, right again at the top and follow your nose up to the B3212 east of Postbridge. You'll come up the side of Hameldon though I don't think you can see Grimspound from the road. Stop at Postbridge for the bridge and if you have time a mile or so south of Postbridge there's the less visited bridge at Bellever.

If you drive up past the army camp at Okehampton you can get right up high on the moor with good views and it's only a short walk to High Willeys and Yes Tor; ideal for scenic shots of the moor below.

Park by the waterworks at Belstone and walk up to the Nine Maidens stone circle and up the ridge above for good views of the moor, typical moorland scenery and good scope for sunset and or sunrise shots.

Wow some great advice there :)

I'm going to follow one of those - just not sure which yet

Thanks again !

For a whistlestop tour (could/have spent weeks on the moor, let alone just a quick drive by - treat the journey through as a recce for a later revisit, maybe), I would head down the A38 to the Drum Bridges roundabout, signposted to Newton Abbot and Bovey Tracey, heading North towards Bovey Tracey up the A382. Turn left (West) onto the B3387 towards Haytor Vale and Widecombe-in-the-Moor (of Uncle Tom Cobley fame - great ice creams in a little shop whose name escapes me... but IIRC it's on the right as you go round a right hander downhill after the church in the village) At some point, the road changes number to the B3357 but it's the same road, signed to Dartmeet, Two Bridges and Princetown (among others IIRC). At (or just after) Two Bridges, bear right, staying on the B3357 (unless you feel the need to visit Princetown for Dartmoor Prison!!!) for Merrivale and Tavistock. That's pretty much the end of Dartmoor, but carry on down the A390 and you'll arrive at Callington, where you can head up the A388 to Launceston and North Cornwall or down the A388 to Saltash for South East Cornwall or carry on down the A390 to Liskeard and Bodmin for West Cornwall.

Other routes are obviously available but the one above will give you a quick overview of what Dartmoor has to offer in the way of Tors, rivers, wide open landscapes, pretty little villages, market towns and narrow lanes!

Hope you enjoy whichever route you take as well as the real holiday in Cornwall.

Not sure about firing times over the summer but much of Dartmoor is used by the army and it would be worth checking up on line before your visit.

The ranges are all open during August but if it's just a quick visit you won't get into the ranges anyway - only if you take the road past Okehampton Camp (you won't get past Okehampton Camp if the range is in use). Adrian mentioned driving that road - be aware that most of it is closed. The nearest you'll get to Yes Tor by car (up a steep and narrow strip of tarmac with limited parking/turning) is about a mile and a half, most of it straight up.

Again thanks for all advice - will definitely be using this advice :)

Just in a b&b on the edge of Dartmoor - thanks for everyone's advice, I followed a bit of everyone's and even hoofed it to the top of Haytor :)

Absolutely blown away by the scenery and sheer scale of the place - stunning !

Back