Beginner Dartmoor

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so it's been a few years since iv held a camera, last one I owned was a canon 350d.
Now I'm wanting to get back into it iv bought myself a 750, I always wanted to get up to dartmoor and capture the milky way. Where's the best spots to get to see it?

I've tried it a couple of times. I've just posted my attempt from last month in the Astro section of Landscapes.
I've also tried before from up on the Sharpitor/Leather Tor ridge, it was ok but Princetown has quite a bit of light pollution too. Really you can try anywhere but well away from places that have a lot of light are obviously best.

On a clear night, find where the milky way is then see where you can get a shot of it with some foreground interest (if you want some) but without one of the towns throwing up the glow of pollution. Maybe even have a road somewhere in the shot and hope/arrange for a light trail... If you're after something in the foreground, have a play with light painting - you won't need the milky way while you're playing!

BTW, welcome to the forum.

up on the moor may not be the best place as there are quite a lot of light polution sources arround it (plymouth/tavistock etc ) which interfere unless you are looking straight up - on the coast looking out to sea may be a better option

salcombe hill and branscombe work well too if you are further east

The least light polluted area is probably the north moor, up around Belstone area, but it is possible to use the moors terrain to reduce the problem.
Most of the reservoirs offer good opportunities, as they are surrounded by hills/trees which act as shields. Or do like Wayne did (Staple Tor) and use a strong silhouette to block the worst of the light pollution. Probably the worst area is around Princetown, the prison would probably dazzle you from the moon:)

Back