Darts Championship at Lakeside - Advice needed

Name
Glenn Sparkes
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

I'm shooting the Darts at Lakeside this weekend, has anyone else shot there and got any advice or tips for me, please?

Many thanks!

Not shot there but you will need full range of lenses and flash I would think because of the endless possibilities for shots there.

Full body shots of the fancy costumed crowd, the players shirts, the walk on ladies, the players throwing and celebrating, wide shots of the stage and venue, the crowd celebrating, the score boards, the practice area if your allowed there, any reaction to the crowd from players.

Have done a few major darts events in recent years and, yes, there is a lot of stuff going on amongst the audience you can cover so, yes, a couple of short/standard zooms with a flashgun will cover that. As regards shooting the players in action it's all about shooting from very clearly designated and limited positions that don't get in the way of Sky's cameras. Flash isn't allowed and you can't shoot from stageside during live play. If it's a Matchroom event they have their own guy there who will definitely give you a heads up on what you can and cannot do, especially in the area immediately adjacent to the stage. If he doesn't seek you out you should make every effort to find him so that you don't put your foot in at any point. The further you are from the stage the more freedom you have but you'll always play second fiddle to Sky and the paying punters.

Thank you for the advice GTG, you say flash? I'm more looking for advice on the Photographers Pit/Stand or seating area at the venue? Is there a media room? Normally I shoot Football but with the Darts going on all day, I need somewhere to keep my Laptop charged up.

Thanks, wezza13, I'm working for an agency. I'm not really a Darts fan but to be honest, it always looks like a great atmosphere and a laugh!! I'm working for an agency.

Thank you for the advice GTG, you say flash? I'm more looking for advice on the Photographers Pit/Stand or seating area at the venue? Is there a media room? Normally I shoot Football but with the Darts going on all day, I need somewhere to keep my Laptop charged up.

Thanks, wezza13, I'm working for an agency. I'm not really a Darts fan but to be honest, it always looks like a great atmosphere and a laugh!! I'm working for an agency.
There will be a media room to accommodate the print/tv media people and you should be able to find a corner and some power for your laptop. The WiFi for the media has always been great in my experience btw.

Suprised nobody mentioned this.. wear black or very dark clothes....

Trouble is KIPAX my lens is white! Why dark clothes?

its the position your shooting from..so not to be seen by crowd..

same if you ever do squash behind the glass :)

Have done a few major darts events in recent years and, yes, there is a lot of stuff going on amongst the audience you can cover so, yes, a couple of short/standard zooms with a flashgun will cover that. As regards shooting the players in action it's all about shooting from very clearly designated and limited positions that don't get in the way of Sky's cameras. Flash isn't allowed and you can't shoot from stageside during live play. If it's a Matchroom event they have their own guy there who will definitely give you a heads up on what you can and cannot do, especially in the area immediately adjacent to the stage. If he doesn't seek you out you should make every effort to find him so that you don't put your foot in at any point. The further you are from the stage the more freedom you have but you'll always play second fiddle to Sky and the paying punters.

Won’t be covered by Sky because it’s the BDO darts world championship at Lakeside. This is on channel 4 or BT Sports (depending if an afternoon or evening game). Sky cover the PDC world championships at Alexander Palace. Assume what you’ve said however still is true (or at least mostly is).

Think the Matchroom photographer is called Lawrence. Nice guy. Just introduce yourself, explain you've not done darts before, and just ask where you're allowed etc.

I've done a couple of darts events here in Dublin and it's easy enough. Most players are right handed, so you want to be to their left. Plus, they tend to turn to look over their left should and celebrate as that's where their family are sat. I usually found a nice spot just off the stage beyond the stairs they use to enter and exit which allows you to shot up towards them, with a nice black background.

The crowd will be drunk. Drunk people are a nightmare. If it's a nice venue, some GVs of the arena are nice.

Watch for repetition. It's very easy to end up shooting the same shot over and over again. Get the usual shots in the bag, and the try something difference - slow shutter shots, wide, upright, interesting composition.

Have fun.

So how did you get on ?

Back