Dash Cam video

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I will be doing a road trip later this year using a rental car and want to be able to record the scenic landscape as I drive. The options are to buy a standard (cheaper) Dash Cam or to buy a Go Pro and use as a Dash Cam which I could use elsewhere. I have never used either and would appreciate comments on the quality of the video I could expect and recommendations.

Cant comment on the video quality on gopro but my nextbase dash cam is not bad,but first of all check how long a dashcam will record for before it loops over

GoPro or Osmo Action will give best video, neither are brilliant for audio out of the box if you have any plan to talk while recording.
A suction mount might be the most versatile option to position it securely.

Thanks Ken, using a phone was another option and your video clip has given me an idea of quality achievable. Can you tell me what phone were you using and what size micro sd for what length video ? To use a phone would save me buying something else and I need an upgrade. :)

Go-pro are great quality, and they do a supprisingly good still shot if you dont mind wide angle.

I have done a bit of in car GoPro stuff. I have a mount on the top of my dash, or I use a suction cup on the sunroof and have it between driver & passenger (GoPro allows you to film with the camera upside down). I also have mounts on my front & rear towing brackets for lower down stuff. Wind is always an issue when the camera (mic) is external, not too bad on the rear though. If I stick the camera on the rear, I get all the cracks, bangs and pops that the car makes too :giggle:

With a GoPro, you can mount the camera wherever, and use the phone app to start/stop the recording, which is useful. Also, if it's in the car, you can supply power so the battery doesn't die on you.

My dashcam footage

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXyui_ii7hk
I use a 32 Gb micro sd card which lasts for hours. Although the dashcam loop if only 5 minuites it still"carries on" in the sd card. I also have hard wired it via a piggy back fuse.
I have had to put it in the top nearside front window as the mesh in the screen centre is large.
This nextbase when played via their program shows the map with where your car is on the road as it moves along as well as geotagged as seen in this video

Ken

looks as if you have the same problem that I originally had and that is a jerky footage watching the side road post markers. i tried everything to smooth it out and just could not do it. In the end I found it was down to the computer graphics card. So I upgraded to a Geforce GTX1050TI graphics card and that solved the problem

as seen played via dashcam program

View: https://youtu.be/CHR21JyF5uE

Last edited:
Maybe this relevant - https://www.dpreview.com/news/58085...m-and-affordable-price-tag?comment=7884728224
“Motorola's new One Action is taking a slightly different approach to most of its competitors. The brand new device's ultra-wide camera has been designed to work predominantly as a GoPro-style action camera.
The 16MP camera has a field-of-view of 117 degrees (approximately 13mm equivalent focal length”

Back