Dashcam recommendations (Models under a year old)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a quick search - and couldn't find a recent thread on this - am needing to buy a new dash cam - but am getting more and more put off by the number of fake and one star reviews on our favourite amazon website. There are some that look good that then appear to have 300 5 star reviews posted over a 24 hour period by people with very similar names, or there are others that seem to have about a ten percent 1 star ratio of 'it fell apart after a week' or 'the seller put a note in the box asking me to leave a 5 star review for a free gift'.

So based on my hours of research - I'd be interested to know if anyone here uses one that's been trouble free - with a decent night time picture - preferably purchased in the last year, so that the model is still readily available. Brand doesn't matter - and cost - under £100 would be nice. Any recommendations from the regular drivers we have here?

I bought an Aukey front and rear off amazon about a year ago, it works well but interferes with the signal to my DAB radio.

Nextbase here too, lovely clear recording
Had mine a few years now

I have 2 nextbase 312GW - one for each car I use - easy to instal and operate. Already hard wired into our Mk4 Golf - and once my Saab get's its new windscreen it will be hard wired in that too.

My last nextbase cam died after 6 months - so a little sceptical of the brand. My recent polaroid cam died after 10 months. I'm in a warm place - so the life expectancy is a little reduced as a result. I'm looking to order from amazon - as I'm overseas - but some models don't ship to where I am.... (and the local prices are about double - hence I want to order from the UK - yes that's right - it's cheaper from the UK than it is in Asia!)

Recently bought the above mentioned Nextbase 312GW It’s a Which? Best Buy.

Techadvisor review https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/dash-cams/nextbase-312gw-review-3644364/

Some like to go for the next model Here’s a Evie. I see at Amazon it’s £10 more than the 312GW
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/dash-cams/nextbase-412gw-review-3648729/

Have a Google re whether to use the connector into the cigarette lighter or,as I have, hard-wire it.

Also,if you have a Halfords near you they are the same price there ..£79 and £89 respectively ss Amazon so that in the event of a problem you can go to the store.

Last edited:
I have a nextbase 512 which is very good however there seems to be a problem with the internal battery as shortly after one year of ownership it fails to hold a charge, ok with the ignition on but simply will not power up under the internal battery. I have seen several forums where this problem has been mentioned. Not sure if it's limited to the 512 model.

I bought an Aukey from amazon for £110 (front and rear) which is good for image quality etc even at night but didn't have the wifi connectivity and other functions I wanted. I now have that in the weekend motor and the everyday driver has a Thinkware F770. At £229 its well above budget but a great bit of kit

I had a quick search - and couldn't find a recent thread on this - am needing to buy a new dash cam - but am getting more and more put off by the number of fake and one star reviews on our favourite amazon website. There are some that look good that then appear to have 300 5 star reviews posted over a 24 hour period by people with very similar names, or there are others that seem to have about a ten percent 1 star ratio of 'it fell apart after a week' or 'the seller put a note in the box asking me to leave a 5 star review for a free gift'.

So based on my hours of research - I'd be interested to know if anyone here uses one that's been trouble free - with a decent night time picture - preferably purchased in the last year, so that the model is still readily available. Brand doesn't matter - and cost - under £100 would be nice. Any recommendations from the regular drivers we have here?

I hardwired lots of Street Guardian SG9665GC dashcams and they are excellent, although a little more money than you are wiling to spend (under £200) but still a pittance compared to a failed dashcam and post-crash consequences. They are capacitor based as well which is better in the hot weather where batteries can expand. Image quality is excellent, especially at night.

This place has amazing customer service: https://www.hiniko.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

This site is a good place to get a wealth of information: https://dashcamtalk.com/

Chris..what’s been overlooked here as we were all concentrating on the dashcam is which micro SD card you choose. You’d be well advised to do some Googling and see what people have to say. I went for Transcend 64GB micro SDXC MLC Also, I read that MLC is important too https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mlc-microsd-cards.10294/

Seems a larger capacity is worth it as it overwrites itself less but we delete often especially prior to a longer trip..a couple of hours for instance.

Also, when you settle on one google to see YouTube footage taken by it. Here’s one for the Nextbase 312GW

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JCCZzCDRkRc

Avoid SanDisk. Great cards, just not for dashcams. I think they may have released some dashcam friendly ones though.

Avoid SanDisk. Great cards, just not for dashcams. I think they may have released some dashcam friendly ones though.

Whilst researching for our cam and SD card I read that too re Sandisk. As you say, it must just be for dashcams because all my camera CF cards are Sandisk and have served me well.

I can't remember exactly why but it's something to do with the controller and it going into read only mode upon an error or something, so their entry level ones are best avoided. I think their A1 and A2 high endurance ones are fine though.

I hardwired lots of Street Guardian SG9665GC dashcams /

Thanks everyone for giving me some input - I hadn't come across street guardian - and from the dash forum linked I found the Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO to be one of the best buys. Had a look on Amazon - and they ship to Malaysia (I don't get charged VAT - so the £150 price tag became £121). I've just placed the order - it'll take a week or two to arrive - but I'm patient :) I'll let you know how I get on once it's up and running.

It took a while to arrive - but has impressed me greatly. The attention to detail of 'what's in the box' was much more than I expected - there's a wipe/wrap/tool for everything. All the little things you'd expect to find yourself. Anyway - the camera was installed very easily - nice small footprint - picture quality is great - particularly at night! I'll see if I can upload some video to youtube or somewhere similar - the Street Guardian is most definitely worth a look for anyone thinking to buy a dashcam :) Thanks to all for your input! Very much appreciated.

You tube link

I've uploaded a video from the other night which shows one of the regular close shaves that I experience in KL - look out for the yellow car :) - Remember to make sure you're watching it in 1080p in the dropdown menu - and enjoy a little bit of Queen while watching - (the sound recording is quite reasonable!)

Just watched it on my phone and although it will always look better on the smaller screen that is some seriously good night footage!

Back