Dashcams

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
This area of photography seems to have been overlooked badly. With the number of manufactures making them and getting more widely used, a section about them may help.

having just purchased a well known make already I can see soon most car manufacturers will be fitting them as an optional extra.

Maybe an open discussion thread is an idea not thought of before

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAz-XPM693g

quick snippet of one section mine recoreded

Last edited:
I'd say not so much , not looking, but more unable to see through other parked vehicles until reversing a bit.

Personally I hate these things.

Whilst I think dashcams are a good idea, I do think all the posting on you tube etc. complaining about others, often misses the posters own poor judgement etc.

The OP's post states "not looking" well lets be honest it's a car park, cars frequently reverse out of parking slots. So surely it is as much up to the driver heading out to be aware something like this may happen? To me it's a none event, doesn't need posting anywhere. Sorry not really having a go at the OP just using it as an example of what i mean.

It's a good topic for me as this will be our forth year going to the Scottish highlands this April and was thinking how good would a dashcam be to record the amazing drives/scenery or if just getting a HD Hero cam would be better ?

Not so sure 'dashcams' are really an area of photography as such. They are there to capture incidents for evidence and not much more.
I could see some people 'engineering' situations to capture but that's a whole different conversation.
I have a gopro and I have used it in the car to do a timelapse of some journeys but that's quite limited to more interesting journeys.

I have fitted one mainly because here in Ireland we have a very litigation minded society. I would no more post anything on youtube or fly to the moon, it's there "just in case"

I don't see much wrong with the reversing in the clip.
Sometimes its necessary to reverse a little to see what's coming.
He stopped. You were a good distance away.
:thinking:

Whilst I think dashcams are a good idea, I do think all the posting on you tube etc. complaining about others, often misses the posters own poor judgement etc.

The OP's post states "not looking" well lets be honest it's a car park, cars frequently reverse out of parking slots. So surely it is as much up to the driver heading out to be aware something like this may happen? To me it's a none event, doesn't need posting anywhere. Sorry not really having a go at the OP just using it as an example of what i mean.

^^^ I agree.

It's a good topic for me as this will be our forth year going to the Scottish highlands this April and was thinking how good would a dashcam be to record the amazing drives/scenery or if just getting a HD Hero cam would be better ?

That's why I was/am considering one. More for trips out, car events, track days etc

Regarding the existence of such a thread, is this really photography? Have we sunk that low? Will we be having threads about webcams, or cctv next?

Regarding parking, a good driver will always reverse park and emerge forwards. Thousands don't.

Mine is a Nextbase 312GW which I have hard wired, it also can take stills as well as record journeys which is one reason for suggesting a Dashcam thread. I also got the 32gig micro SD card which will do up to 300 minutes of fideo recording in as i have mine to go in 5 minute segments.

off to pub for meal

View: https://youtu.be/TXyui_ii7hk

Last edited:
Regarding parking, a good driver will always reverse park and emerge forwards. Thousands don't.

Nonsense.
If you're going to need free access to your boot, you park nose in.
It's not a matter of good driver/bad driver.

Got myself an Autobot dashcam about three weeks ago, it's already recorded a few episodes of bad (imo) driving. I don't claim to be the perfect driver, but having one does make you think about your own driving.

Skip to the last 15 sec of this video. It doesn't look too bad on the video, but the braking caused my ABS kicked in for the first time, so at least I know it works :)

Oh god, the World is full of complete dingbats, if I were to youtube every minor incident I see every day, I wouldn't have time to do anything else, and no...I don't drive for a living 10 or 12 thousand a year, A to B and sometimes C but not much.
I use a dashcam for protection should anything serious occur, not for stupid arsed upload likes or any of that other myopic rubbish.
The thing with dashcams is, distortion, most are so wide angled that even objects right in the center appear to be further away than they actually are, events that I would call close near misses from the drivers seat, quite often look 3 times further away and nothing like as dangerous as they actually were.
I'll admit that for a few days I might have taken the video off the card and had a bit of a competition with my SO as to who had seen the stupidest maneuver that day, but stupid maneuvers were so commonplace because the World is full of people with too much garbage in their heads to care how they drive, we got bored pretty quickly.
It was a novelty to own one, for a week......after that its just a tool for protection, not something I'd be remotely interested in using..creatively.

Regarding the existence of such a thread, is this really photography? Have we sunk that low? Will we be having threads about webcams, or cctv next?

Agree with the first part of your post, but, have you ever reversed parked in a shopping car park and someone parks right up your jacksie so you cant get your shopping in?
Hence why I always park jacksie out! (in a shopping car park that is) :)

Agree with the first part of your post, but, have you ever reversed parked in a shopping car park and someone parks right up your jacksie so you cant get your shopping in?
Hence why I always park jacksie out! (in a shopping car park that is) :)

They don't even have to park too close. If you reverse park in a supermarket car park, you won't be able to get the trolley to your boot!

Liked Marc's post even though it's not always correct. Our local Sainsbury's now has one parking "aisle" with a walkway between the 2 parking areas so you can get to the boot if you reverse in. BUT, they slightly spoiled it by putting bollards in so you can't reverse back fully and open the boot (in a hatchback) and also have the trolley parks open at the road end rather than the walkway end. They've also blocked off about 1/3 of the car park to accommodate their delivery bays and click and collect area.

I was convinced to by an aldi actioncam a year or so ago by other half so I could record her riding a motorbike & give her tips to improve.
I still have eight hours of footage to review.....
Once in real time was 'enough'....

Popular in the bike world, where so many try and argue that 'Its just so I can show an insurance company'..... to which my response is always, "yeah... being proved 'in the right' is small solace on your way up the pearly steps!"
Does seem pretty endemic of modern society, though..... and in motorbiking, even where an accident is genuinely and unequivocally 100% the other fellas fault.... 90% of the time, there was still 'something' the rider could have done not to get into it in the first place... OK, maybe they shouldn't have to.. but, this is the real world, and you CANNOT go around expecting every one to do the right thing, and look out for your bum ALL the time, and prevention is SO much better than cure.. especially on a motorbike, where all to frequently the rider is themselves their own worst enemy.. before we come to any question of the actioncam.....

Which, is perverse... on motor-bikes, which tilt through turns, don't have the FoV obscured by roof pillars, and where particularly helmet mounted cams can produce pretty audacious footage, cams have become derigeur to capture that drama... and in so doing, inspired more riders to more outrageous riding to get more of it, in many cases...
We then have the critic-cam... as the clip OP'd, I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT, and wont.... I have watched too many already, and meh! I really don't want to watch any more!
Capturing 'incidents', of alledged idiocy or controversy... first.. an awful lot aren't, and far too many show as much or more error in the driver/rider of the clip capturing vehicle than in the alleged idiocy of other road users....
Back to earlier comments... very very few road accidents have a clear cut, 100% culpable perpetrator, end even of those, so many are still 'avoidable' IF others didn't rely so much on others being more perfect than themselves.....
We return to that same self perpetuating phenomona of the presence of a camera encouraging the user to 'seek' such incidents of idiocy or controversy, and influencing situations to that end.....
One HAS to wonder, whether IF there wasn't a camera the incident would ever have happened to begin with?

Either which way... these things are NOT photography; neither are they IMO an aid to road safety..... talking motorbikes, crash hats don't save crashes, sticking your head in a padded bucket and thinking you have safety covered wont stop you crashing, USING your head and not riding like a tool or into danger WILL. Dash-Cams? Do NOTHING buy give the lawyers something to argue about after the event.

With face book and you-tube stuffed with clips from other people's daily commute, hours of footage taken from trucks going up the motorway, and some 'ohing and ahring' and exclamation in the sound track or subs... DO we really want, let alone need, give this genre of 'DIY Reality TV' ANY more encouragement?

Back