Dawlish Red Arrows

Edit My Images
No
I decided to dedicate this post to the mighty reds....

As said by many "what a great show" and "we will be going back in 2009" personally I can't believe how the organisers pulled off such a magnificent display of aircraft....a big thumbs up....Excellent.

DSC_6456a800.jpg

DSC_6297a800.jpg

DSC_6326a800.jpg

DSC_6283a800.jpg

DSC_6060a800.jpg

DSC_6145a800.jpg

DSC_6041a800.jpg

DSC_6456aa800.jpg

DSC_6391a800.jpg

DSC_6401a800.jpg

Iain

3 and 4 for me as well!

5 would be awesome but needs a little more space around the edges for my liking.

Really great work.

oh i like,not sure if i can pic a favbut i do like the portrait perspective, looks like its fairly low

stunning - enough said :)

Stunning photos :clap:

No.3 is my favourite - a very unusual shot of them.

5 would be awesome but needs a little more space around the edges for my liking.

Really great work.

Firstly thanks everyone for the feedback it's much appreciated.

Sadly on number 5, I had to crop this close to take out the additional clutter/part bits of additional arrows, overall I'm happy with it.

Thanks once again.

Iain

DSC_5217a800.jpg

DSC_5234a800.jpg

DSC_5229a800.jpg

DSC_4756a800.jpg

I love fighter planes and often go to the airshows. Photos are really excelent with nice angles too. May I ask what equipment you're using?
Cheers

I love fighter planes and often go to the airshows. Photos are really excelent with nice angles too. May I ask what equipment you're using?
Cheers

Hi Apolon, I shoot mainly frontline fighter jets, low level mostly..

I was using the D3/300 2.8 with 1.4x , its full frame which leaves you a bit short but makes up for it in image quality, not one of these has been sharpened the only sharpening that has been applied is one stop above standard in the in camera settings.

I think these are different to the usual Red Arrows shots we see. This is mostly due to them be very close to you or using a long lens, but it definately works !

#3 is great, pefect line :D

#1 I think is better than #8. More often than not I prefer landscape to portrait for planes... Sometimes I may do a portrait like #8 to include the ground, but they were close enough anyway and #1 is great.

#7 shame about there only being 8 of them.... Its hard to get them all in frame :(

Firstly thanks everyone for the feedback it's much appreciated.

Sadly on number 5, I had to crop this close to take out the additional clutter/part bits of additional arrows, overall I'm happy with it.

Thanks once again.

Iain

I didn't mean to sound negative Iain, its still a great shot :clap: perhaps it would benefit fromframing of some sort? :thinking:

I'm a big fan of these images as a collection - really very very good (y)

#7 shame about there only being 8 of them.... Its hard to get them all in frame :(

Only 8 were flying as One of them (Red 5) had a birdstrike on take-off from Exeter.

I didn't mean to sound negative Iain, its still a great shot :clap: perhaps it would benefit fromframing of some sort? :thinking:

I'm a big fan of these images as a collection - really very very good (y)

No I didn't see it as negative, It's great to understand how other people see your pictures.
I agree with you about a small amount more around the two arrows would have looked better (y) as you know they fly so close the original file has parts of two other reds in it, good old cropper!

Only 8 were flying as One of them (Red 5) had a birdstrike on take-off from Exeter.

:eek: thats unlucky. I think one year recently at RIAT there was one missing too, they looked odd flying formation - kind of unbalanced !

I also love the shot of the Merlin from above, great angle, and the speedboat adds a little something too.

Just noticed you mention you used the 300 F2.8 ! How do you manage without being able to zoom ? It must be hard to pick the right spot first :thinking:

Stunning! :eek:

I don't often come in here but I love the Arrows, I was always hanging around them and the crew before the shows at Waddington and Finningley when I was a child, my Uncle would let me in. ;)

The 300 fixed is the best lens I have ever owned, I always try to position myself to be able to get the most shots possible, some with a small crop are fine.

Over filling the frame often gives me some suberb results, looking at things from a fixed point of view can often be a challenge.

Thanks for the reply.

Iain

Thats quite interesting. Its funny when I think about it - I use a 70-200 at airshows and find the majority of my shots are at 200 - it always feels too short ! but rarely do I need to zoom out (maybe on the B-52 or B-1B !)

So as you say perhaps its worth investigating a 300mm F2.8 ....

Your photos have certainly convinced me at least... Can you come and explain it to my other half for me :eek: :nono: :bonk:

I've just bought a 300mm f/4L for airshows and done away with my zoom too - I'm even considering purchasing a 1.4TC

Airshows and flybys in general happen very very fast, I'd rather time my shot and get it right once rather than faffing with zoom to catch something at a lesser focal length.

Projecting your image far away from the crowd (by way of magnification) is a sure fire way to make your images a hit, get closer to the action than possible in any other way :-D

With a Prime your refusing to compromise on image quality. Granted you might be comprising flexibility of composition but thats a choice you have to make :)

Last edited:
Its also a good way to stop you going off and "machine gunning" each plane as you wait for it to come into the right frame for your prime, fire off one or two and then *enjoy* its closer display while you queue up the next image. In my experience your images will be better and there will be a lot fewer "throwaways" on your memory card.

Nicely done Iain. I really don't know my rear from my elbow when it comes to aerial photography, but these are pretty classy. #3 is a bit "different" and I like the composition in this one most of all. Was a tough choice though. :)

So as you say perhaps its worth investigating a 300mm F2.8 ....

Your photos have certainly convinced me at least... Can you come and explain it to my other half for me :eek: :nono: :bonk:

RV, Difficult one to explain, mine just grew a bit bigger overnight :muted: :exit:

Back